Best cycling commentator in the World??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by J999w, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. J999w

    J999w Guest

    For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than english,
    I pose this question:

    Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?

    Ligget? Merkx? Others?

    jw milwaukee

    Tags:

  2. How could anyone know? There are so many different languages involved, that no one person or group
    of people could evaluate all of the commentators.

    I have heard Duffield and Kelly, Liggett and Sherwin, and not many others. I can hardly understnad
    Kelly, and I have heard Duffield use "also", "too", and "as well" in the same sentence.

    Liggett tried to guess which rider tried to break out of the peloton yesterday, giving us two names,
    then learning it was actually a third rider.

    I don't think the commentators are allowed to spend enough time watching TV monitors, so they miss
    some of the things that we see. They're probably getting tidbits in their ear, or looking at the
    race Bible for factoids, etc.

    While they aren't perfect, they are entertaining, so I'm not too worried that if I only understood
    Basque, or Catalan, or Flemish, I might be able to hear a better commentator.

  3. "J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than
    > english, I pose this question:
    >
    > Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?
    >
    > Ligget? Merkx? Others?

    I've never heard Merckx commentate, but a non cycling Belgian friend described most of his comments
    as monosyllabic grunts.

  4. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >How could anyone know? There are so many different languages involved, that no one person or group
    >of people could evaluate all of the commentators.

    Ahhh ... but there are many cyclists out there who are fluent in two, three, more? languages. We'll
    just have to see if they show up here !

    jw milwaukee

  5. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    So who WOULD be great? Has anyone else given us any cues? Race announcers qualify. Reporters, too.
    Let's widen the pool. Who should be up there? Any language is fair play. There's enough bilingualism
    out there that we can at least GET THE WORD on who's good in the WORLD. When I heard the foreign
    booth at the world's once they ALL sounded good.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****

  6. "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > So who WOULD be great?

    I think Jeff Potter would be great. That man not only interfaces well with all demographic groups,
    from the American Couch-riding Fattie to the serious hardcore racer.

    Potter does especially well with the racers. When he posts to racing newsgroups, they hang on his
    every word.

  7. On 7/8/03 2:54 PM, in article [email protected], "J999w"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than
    > english, I pose this question:
    >
    > Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?

    From what I understand, Jorgen Leth (famed cycling filmmaker) commentates for Danish TV (or Danish
    Eurosport), and is as wonderful a commentator as he is a filmmaker.

  8. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:
    > So who WOULD be great? Has anyone else given us any cues? Race announcers qualify. Reporters, too.
    > Let's widen the pool. Who should be up there? Any language is fair play. There's enough
    > bilingualism out there that we can at least GET THE WORD on who's good in the WORLD. When I heard
    > the foreign booth at the world's once they ALL sounded good.

    You need the space-filling drivel of a baseball or golf announcer, and the rapid-fire
    narrative capabilities of a basketball or hocky play-by-play guy. There are many such, but few
    that know cycling.

  9. [email protected] (J999w) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than
    > english, I pose this question:
    >
    > Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?

    Me. Duh.

    -RJ

  10. On 08 Jul 2003 20:54:40 GMT, [email protected] (J999w) wrote:

    >For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than
    >english, I pose this question:
    >
    >Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?
    >
    >Ligget? Merkx? Others?
    >
    >jw milwaukee
    At the moment for TdF coverage on Eurosport in the UK we have Duffield and Kelly, but are fortunate
    to have the excellent Kirsty Anderson providing analysis and insight.

    It pains me to criticise Kelly, as he is one of my all time heroes, but I think he is over-powered
    and embarrased by Duffers. The odd occasion Kelly has been on with another commentator he actually
    comes out of his shell and is pretty good.

    I enjoyed when Stephen Roche did the commentary with Duffers a few years ago, as he was much more in
    touch with what was going on - he could interpret race radio much quicker and seemed to have more
    contact with current riders.

    In the English language the "guvners" are still Liggett and Sherwen. In the UK ITV coverage we are
    fortunate to have the back-up of the excellent Gary Imlach,who manages to make his insert pieces
    interesting and informative for the newbie, but still relevant for those in the know.

    Regards! Stephen

  11. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Some don't hang quite long enough...

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > When he posts to racing newsgroups, they hang on his every word.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC ski
    culture, a Gulf Coast thriller folding bicycles ... with radical novels coming up! ...original
    downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums!
    HOLY SMOKES!

  12. Darren S.

    Darren S. Guest

    "J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For those here who have access to other feeds other than OLN and other languages other than
    > english, I pose this question:
    >
    > Who is the best cycling commentator in the World?
    >
    > Ligget? Merkx? Others?

    Bob Roll

    (a few days late, but someone had to do it...)

    D.

    > jw milwaukee

    ---

  13. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Merckx is not good at all. He says nothing substantial and sounds as if he has just eaten a five
    plates meal drowned in two bottles of wine. Which is actually true in most cases. Except when Axel
    wins, then the boxes are bouncing.

    De Cauwer is funny in a nitwitty way, although now and then something interesting pops up, as if by
    coincidence.

    Eric De Vlaeminck used his commentator work as a way of communicating to and provoking the riders.

    On Dutch TV the pathos and pretentious phrasing is just unbearable.

    The Germans know crap about cycling. In the D-Tour they were assessing the GC hopefuls after some
    flat stages. "Rogers, 5th, is not relevant, Wesemann is the big favorite, number 10 has to make up 2
    seconds..."

    The French are biased in a freakingly funny way The guy with the spikey hair who's been there for 15
    years in the Velo Club, what a looney. Seems to know nothing about any aspect of cycling. a typical
    statement "after the break we talk with the big TTT favorites, Credit Agricole"

    There are some former riders I like though. Erik Breukink, dry and to the point. And for cross Adri
    Van der Poel. One who really gives clues.

  14. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:02:10 GMT, Bart wrote:
    > There are some former riders I like though. Erik Breukink, dry and to the point. And for cross
    > Adri Van der Poel. One who really gives clues.

    What about Danny Nelissen on Eurosport, I like his commentary. Shame about the endless commercial
    breaks (probably less than OLN, but we're not used to anything I guess).

    You can't beat Canvas for all the background info and interviews. Too bad Wuyts and Uytterhoeven
    don't get along very well (and U. has moved to other things), they're my favourite couple.

    German tv is ideal for non-experts. Very thorough coverage, lots of talk around the table before the
    etape, but very basic commentary.

    As it is I'm stuck with the excellent but humourless Wuyts and De Cauwer as his sidekick, whos
    speciality is just plainly repeating words 3 times to stress them.

  15. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Davide Cassani (RAITre) and Laurent Jalabert (Fr 2) equal...

  16. Bart wrote:

    > Eric De Vlaeminck used his commentator work as a way of communicating to and provoking the riders.

    so he's the henry chang of commentators, then?

    heather

  17. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Bart wrote:

    > The French are biased in a freakingly funny way The guy with the spikey hair who's been there for
    > 15 years in the Velo Club, what a looney. Seems to know nothing about any aspect of cycling. a
    > typical statement "after the break we talk with the big TTT favorites, Credit Agricole"

    Speaking of the French, what is Jalabert like ?

    I got to watch RAI International on satelite during the Giro, and while I can't offer much insight
    on the quality of the commentary as I don't understand much Italian, one thing I do remember is this
    fat bearded guy they had on after the end of each stage. He was always

    quite figure out, as most of the time they just sat around with a fair amount of leg exposed, but
    every now and then you'd see one of them taking notes (or something) on a writing pad. They (RAI)
    did have quite a few post race group interviews in their studio with the winners and highly placed
    riders in each stage including Simoni Cipo, Petacchi and McEwen as well as Pantani.

  18. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bart wrote:
    > >
    > > Eric De Vlaeminck used his commentator work as a way of communicating to
    and
    > > provoking the riders.
    >
    > so he's the henry chang of commentators, then?

    I'm sure he must have called some of them fatties at times, but usually it's about training routines
    or race strategies.

  19. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I got to watch RAI International on satelite during the Giro, and while I can't offer much insight
    > on the quality of the commentary as I don't understand much Italian, one thing I do remember is
    > this fat bearded guy they had on after the end of each stage. He was always

    > quite figure out, as most of the time they just sat around with a fair amount of leg exposed,

    That seems standard on Italian TV. Perhaps they want us to believe all Italian women are
    long-legged blondes ?

  20. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:05:34 GMT, Bart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> I got to watch RAI International on satelite during the Giro, and while I can't offer much
    >> insight on the quality of the commentary as I don't understand much Italian, one thing I do
    >> remember is this fat bearded guy they had on after the end of each stage. He was always

    >> quite figure out, as most of the time they just sat around with a fair amount of leg exposed,
    >
    > That seems standard on Italian TV. Perhaps they want us to believe all Italian women are
    > long-legged blondes ?

    They aren't? ;-)

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply