Best Cycling Movie Ever Made?

griffinntv

Dec 23, 2004
I just got this movie called, "PRO" prothemovie.com made by the guy that did "The Hard Road".

Has anyone seen it? It's easily the best cycling movie ever.

I've heard the name, what exactly is it about?

By the way, your poll is a little confusing.

the hard road covers the 2003 season with the net zero d3 team (which was disbanded at the end of the season). it goes throught the hardships of trying to make as a pro in america.
Pro is about the wackovia racing series in june of 2004. it covers the races in trenton and lancaster as well as the uspro chanmpionships in philly. Both have good interviews with the pros and i found them to be pretty interesting, run time for each is about 1:45.

TiMan said:
YUP!!!! a real classic!

:)
While I love "Breaking Away", calling it a cycling movie is a disservice. It's a "love story" the object of desire being the pure enjoyment one gets from riding.

But surely we all must agree the "American Flyers" was a disaster.

As for my favorites, I'll still take any TDF replay or classic compilation. Watching, Mercyx, Hinault, LeMond, LA and others is pure enjoyment, especially when it may involve the narration of a Phil Liggett.

homeycheese said:
While I love "Breaking Away", calling it a cycling movie is a disservice. It's a "love story" the object of desire being the pure enjoyment one gets from riding.

As for my favorites, I'll still take any TDF replay or classic compilation. Watching, Mercyx, Hinault, LeMond, LA and others is pure enjoyment, especially when it may involve the narration of a Phil Liggett.

haha American Flyers wasnt THAT bad! it was the epitome of a cheesy 80's movie! just don't take it seriously!

favorite line: when Belov tries to shake Muzzin's hand, Muzzin hands him a banana and says "Shake THIS Belov!" Gotta love that cheesiness!

mksalazar said:
haha American Flyers wasnt THAT bad! it was the epitome of a cheesy 80's movie! just don't take it seriously!

favorite line: when Belov tries to shake Muzzin's hand, Muzzin hands him a banana and says "Shake THIS Belov!" Gotta love that cheesiness!
Ah! Belov, the classic stereotype Russian in the cold-ware era, burly, bearded and using 2nd-class hand-me-down gear.

Costner is the master of cheese.

A Sunday in Hell with Eddy Merkx is probably one of the best. It is a documentary of the famous Paris Roubaix race over the cobblestones. Near the end you see a very young Francesco Moser time trialing and pulling away from some of the best cyclists as if they are standing still. Roger DeVlamic is also in it.

homeycheese said:

Breaking Away is pure cheeseball. I sort of enjoyed the humor in parts, but mostly it was a typical American sports movie: dull, formulaic, and complete with a collection of rich and evil frat boys. It could have been about tennis and most of the plot could have remained the same. Plus, it's not exactly nice to Italians. Gimme a break. One can rarely trust the Oscars, but how this terribly plain movie won a screenplay award is a true mystery.

But that's just me. I'm with this post: I'd rather watching actual racing anyday. Even replayed races I've seen 20 times before.