best cycling shoes?

cdolloff

Mar 29, 2004
I am in the market for new cycling shoes. I train quite a bit, but do not race. I do about 3 charity rides per year.

I would like to have a carbon sole - but I really want something that is going to be comfortable and last.

Any suggestions.

Well, I've had my Shimano mountain bike shoes since 1995. I wear them everywear except weddings.

I've forgotten what type they are - the exact type probably isn't made any more - but they are similar to the Shimano SH-M038-W seen here .

Because I have strap on pedals I never removed the rubber that hides the screw holes for the pedal clips. This allows me to even go hiking in them, and I have, all over New Zealand and Oz. Unbelievable.

You can guarantee I will be buying similar again...if the ones I have ever wear out - it seriously doesn't look like they ever will, although after nine years I guess you could say I'm about half way through the tread on the souls.

If you're after shoes for a racing bike then I have no experience there, but I'd recommend Shimano from my experience with their MTB shoe.

I payed AUS$140 for them back then.

Originally posted by cdolloff
I am in the market for new cycling shoes. I train quite a bit, but do not race. I do about 3 charity rides per year.

I would like to have a carbon sole - but I really want something that is going to be comfortable and last.

Any suggestions.

Thanks for the reply - I really need shoes for a racing bike. Can anyone narrow it down for me?

Thanks for the reply - I really need shoes for a racing bike. Can anyone narrow it down for me?
Well, price is a good starting criteria. You can spend anywhere from $80 USD to $400 USD on a performance-based, competetive shoe.

Most folks interested in buying a good shoe for serious rec riding, training, or racing are probably spending between $80 and $150 -- that may sound like a big range, but you'd be surprised how solid the quality can be across the board.

The very most important consideration is fit and comfort. A superlight, super stiff and hot-looking shoe does you no good if your foot slips around inside, is pinched, or cramps up because the binding or sole-design isn't a good match for you.

Other things to look for include the quality of the upper straps/bindings, and sole stiffness. The better offerings in the market, like the Sidi Genius, sport at least three solid, highly adjustable straps -- a lot of upper-shelf shoes from brands like Sidi offer micro-adjust ratchets and ski-boot like tooth/latch buckles. The Genius is a $200+ shoe, but the new Sidi Lazer goes for $160 and seems like a solid design.

On nearly all of their shoes, Sidi consciously employs a slightly flexible sole; many other companies maintain that absolute rigidity is key to power-transfer and comfort. I'm currently using the Pearl Izumi Vaper (regular $169, but I found a pair on sale for $99), a sleek-looking shoe with a seamless, single-piece fabric top, three velcro straps, and a full carbon fiber sole. Stiff as hell, very light. Most importantly, it fits my foot comfortably.

Shimano offers some good choices in this price range as well. They recently released a couple cool new ones: the SH-R125 has a versatile-looking strap system and a partial carbon sole, for $139; the new R151 has a full carbon sole, looks comfy, and goes for $169.

Sidi, Pearl Izumi, Shimano, Lake, and many others offer similar designs closer to or just under $100. Expect a slightly flexier sole, maybe a less adjustable fit, and a few more grams, but overall quality, style and functionality that doesn't differ too much from a shoe twice as costly. Look at the Sidi Titan, the Shimano SH-R097, the and Pearl Izumi Vortex, among others.

Good luck!

Nice lokstah!!!!

I'm in the market also. Going to have to print out that awesome reply and do the research and try ons. Thanks for taking the time for such a thorough reply. I think you nailed everthing I've looked at so far!

C-

Lokstah said it all when he said:

The very most important consideration is fit and comfort. A superlight, super stiff and hot-looking shoe does you no good if your foot slips around inside, is pinched, or cramps up because the binding or sole-design isn't a good match for you.

There are a lot of really good shoes out there from a lot of manufacturers. The important thing is finding a pair that are comfortable for you.

I've heard a lot of people say that Sidi makes great shoes. Never used them myself. On my road bike I use a pair of fairly high-end Nike cycling shoes (forget the model name) and they're great.

I've heard a lot of people say that Sidi makes great shoes. Never used them myself. On my road bike I use a pair of fairly high-end Nike cycling shoes (forget the model name) and they're great. [/B]

One more vote for Nike, I've been riding poggios for about 3 yrs and love em, fit my feet very well and are stiff.

I have been using sidi for almost 20 years. I am currently using the 2004 genius....awesome! But, if it don't fit you well, then it is good for nothing......

Have always been put off by Sidi's prices but apparently they are superb.
Have got Pearl Izumi Vapers which are great. Good stiff carbon sole, reasonably light and extremely comfortable.

This won't help, but...

I have two pairs of Sidis, purchased recently. Genius somethingorother (one ratchet, two velcro straps) and another pair (two velcros, use 'em for the turbo). Both pairs feel sloppy after an hour or two. Not good when you're wearing overshoes.

These replaced a pair of thirteen year-old Brancale Lemonds (double velcro closure) that are better in almost every respect (fit, comfort and support), just that the weight's a little high. And they look like ****e now. The Brancales are a real leather / mesh mix. The Sidis are "Lorica" (in other words, plastic). I think this cheap material (that you pay an awful lot for) is responsible for the sloppy feeling. The uppers just don't mold themselves to the shape of your foot.

I still use the Brancales for the track because of their solid feeling. Sometimes, progress isn't all it's cracked up to be -- until someone makes carbon fibre shoes, that is...

I have two pairs of Sidis, purchased recently. Genius somethingorother (one ratchet, two velcro straps) and another pair (two velcros, use 'em for the turbo). Both pairs feel sloppy after an hour or two. Not good when you're wearing overshoes.

These replaced a pair of thirteen year-old Brancale Lemonds (double velcro closure) that are better in almost every respect (fit, comfort and support), just that the weight's a little high. And they look like ****e now. The Brancales are a real leather / mesh mix. The Sidis are "Lorica" (in other words, plastic). I think this cheap material (that you pay an awful lot for) is responsible for the sloppy feeling. The uppers just don't mold themselves to the shape of your foot.

I still use the Brancales for the track because of their solid feeling. Sometimes, progress isn't all it's cracked up to be -- until someone makes carbon fibre shoes, that is...

Originally posted by lokstah
Well, price is a good starting criteria. You can spend anywhere from $80 USD to $400 USD on a performance-based, competetive shoe.

Most folks interested in buying a good shoe for serious rec riding, training, or racing are probably spending between $80 and $150 -- that may sound like a big range, but you'd be surprised how solid the quality can be across the board.

Other things to look for include the quality of the upper straps/bindings, and sole stiffness. The better offerings in the market, like the Sidi Genius, sport at least three solid, highly adjustable straps -- a lot of upper-shelf shoes from brands like Sidi offer micro-adjust ratchets and ski-boot like tooth/latch buckles. The Genius is a $200+ shoe, but the new Sidi Lazer goes for $160 and seems like a solid design.

On nearly all of their shoes, Sidi consciously employs a slightly flexible sole; many other companies maintain that absolute rigidity is key to power-transfer and comfort. I'm currently using the Pearl Izumi Vaper (regular $169, but I found a pair on sale for $99), a sleek-looking shoe with a seamless, single-piece fabric top, three velcro straps, and a full carbon fiber sole. Stiff as hell, very light. Most importantly, it fits my foot comfortably.

Shimano offers some good choices in this price range as well. They recently released a couple cool new ones: the SH-R125 has a versatile-looking strap system and a partial carbon sole, for $139; the new R151 has a full carbon sole, looks comfy, and goes for $169.

Sidi, Pearl Izumi, Shimano, Lake, and many others offer similar designs closer to or just under $100. Expect a slightly flexier sole, maybe a less adjustable fit, and a few more grams, but overall quality, style and functionality that doesn't differ too much from a shoe twice as costly. Look at the Sidi Titan, the Shimano SH-R097, the and Pearl Izumi Vortex, among others.

Good luck!

Great post!

Thanks you!

Originally posted by timdanaher

Wow! That's the first time I've ever heard anyone bash on Sidi. Everyone that I know that uses them, swears by them. I guess that just goes to show you that for the most part it all comes down to personal preference.

My experience with carbon fiber soles is that your feet may go numb. My DMT's affect me this way, and I have to wiggle my feet every few miles. I was told this before my purchase, so I believe it is true, for some.

-Wm.

Any suggestions.

Diadora Ergo's are the best lasting/most comfortable shoes I have ever had; but like most things it is a very personal decision.

I've been wearing northwave for the past 4 years (riding for 5). I think that the fit and quality is top shelf especially on the higher end models ( i ride the evolutions). Stiff and comfy, feet never go numb. I hear Sidi is an extremely comfortable shoe, but durability seems to be lacking. It seems that they only last about two seasons before they get stretched out and flimsy. I would love to try the Pearl Izumis as I have narrow feet (i guess i can forget about shimano).

Originally posted by serenaslu
Diadora Ergo's are the best lasting/most comfortable shoes I have ever had; but like most things it is a very personal decision.

It sounds like you and I ride in fairly similar events. I train in the neighborhood of 150 miles per/week. I use carbon sole Nike's. I found a white leather pair with 3 velcro starps on sale at my LBS. Nobody wanted the white leather (they also came in black) so I was able to pick them up for aboput 80 percent off. I see sales on shoes like this fairly often. You should keep your eyes peeled. You can score big on high end shoes that are either ugly, or last year's model for mega discounts.

Originally posted by craigstanton
It sounds like you and I ride in fairly similar events. I train in the neighborhood of 150 miles per/week. I use carbon sole Nike's. I found a white leather pair with 3 velcro starps on sale at my LBS. Nobody wanted the white leather (they also came in black) so I was able to pick them up for aboput 80 percent off. I see sales on shoes like this fairly often. You should keep your eyes peeled. You can score big on high end shoes that are either ugly, or last year's model for mega discounts.

That's a very good point! I think I've purchased every pair of bike shoes I've ever owned at a major discount because they were last years model. If you don't that you're not wearing the very latest pair of shoes, this is the only way to go!

Originally posted by meehs
That's a very good point! I think I've purchased every pair of bike shoes I've ever owned at a major discount...
Me too! I snagged the 2003 Pearl Izumi Vapers currently on my feet for $99, a solid discount off the regular $169 price tag. And I bought them in 2003.

Of all the gizmos and gear on the market, I've found shoes and helmets to be the easiest to score big deals on.

When shoe shopping you might want to take your riding environment into account also. I love to ride in the rain, so I looked for a shoe that had good drainage... seriously.