Best cycling shorts that ARE NOT SKIN TIGHT?

lifeonbicycles

Apr 3, 2013
I am looking through amazon at the multiple pages of cycling shorts and I am not sure about which ones to get. I do not want skin tight cycling shorts because they are just plain embarrassing :( . The current running shorts I use now drive me crazy because they are very uncomfortable with rides more than 15 miles. Quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

Lycra is part of road cycling. Learning to embrace it will do you good, and your crotch and butt won't hurt as much after a ride.

Your other option is baggy mountain biking shorts. They have a Lycra liner.

But, you could just wear the skin-tight stuff. Not much is considered immodest these days, and there are plenty of people who wear things that are far more tasteless and/or disgustingly revealing. Just make sure that you wear what ever color shorts strikes your fancy--as long as they are black.

P.S. If you don't believe me that people wear worse, check out www.peopleofwalmart.com

I might eventually. Is it fine to wear thin running shorts over tight cycling shorts? I could imagine that it wouldn't affect it so much...

jpr95 said:
Your other option is baggy mountain biking shorts.  They have a Lycra liner. But, you could just wear the skin-tight stuff.  Not much is considered immodest these days, and there are plenty of people who wear things that are far more tasteless and/or disgustingly revealing.  Just make sure that you wear what ever color shorts strikes your fancy--as long as they are black. P.S.  If you don't believe me that people wear worse, check out www.peopleofwalmart.com
Oh my....That is why I don't shop at walmart :D

lifeonbicycles said:
I might eventually. Is it fine to wear thin running shorts over tight cycling shorts? I could imagine that it wouldn't affect it so much...
You could, although I'm not sure what the benefit would be. No one is paying a lot of attention to what cyclists are wearing. However, if you are really bothered by the idea of wearing only lycra shorts, I'd suggest what already has been suggested, i.e. buying mountain biking shorts that have a liner with a chamois. I have a pair of Specialized shorts as such. They're black nylon or polyester with a lycra insert that has a chamois. I found useful on days when I ran a lot of errands, and in Tucson, those errands could cover 20 miles or more. FYI, black shorts, be they mountain bike shorts or just lycra shorts, are de rigeur and discreet. In terms of lycra cycling shorts, white, red, and yellow are not discreet and tend to make visible what gifts you have or whatever you might lack. White lycra is especially dangerous in that it can become see-through when it gets wet.

I agree with the suggestion to wear mountain bike shorts. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Divide mt. shorts. Only had the opportunity to wear them once - ironically back in January when it hit 67 one day, but I found them really comfortable. These have the chamois liner as described above. Not as revealing as compression shorts.

Well im gonna get in on this. Im a big guy. to give you an Idea, when I started cycling I wore shorts and was at 298lbs. I learned after a 30 mile and a 50 mile ride that I needed the padding. I got cycling shorts and have not looked back. I may wear my sweats over them when it is too cold but here I am at 260lbs and I let that **** show to all them drivers. My reasoning. If they miss my **** and hit me, they were to blind to drive anyway. And if they have a comment then I know they see me and I am safe. Just saying I feel they deserve to see my fat **** in tights as they were probly the 1s that were serving me that double 1/4 pounder, or that cheese cake and made me like this. Now that whole circle of life thing is coming back on them.

danfoz said:
There is also the option of short liners, they come with a shammy (and are skin tight) but are designed to be worn under regular shorts or pants. Something like this: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=54&product_id=1637154&outlet=&color_code=508 (not necesarily this brand per se but hopefully you get the idea). Nashbar and Performance usually have something pretty cheap going.
That seems like the best option for me. Thanks for the feedback.

Just keep one thing in mind---the more layers between your ass and the saddle, the greater the chance of chafing on bunched up fabric. There's a good reason why we wear lycra. It stays put on the saddle.

mpre53 said:
Just keep one thing in mind---the more layers between your ass and the saddle, the greater the chance of chafing on bunched up fabric. There's a good reason why we wear lycra. It stays put on the saddle.
+1.

"I do not want skin tight cycling shorts because they are just plain embarrassing"

For 42 years I have worn wool and Lycra cycling shorts.

Not once have I been embarrassed while wearing them.

Now, a lime green leisure suit? That's embarrassing.

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

For 42 years I have worn wool and Lycra cycling shorts.

About time you took them off for laundering, don't you think? :)

"About time you took them off for laundering, don't you think? :)"

Tish! BOOM!

Thank you! Thank You!

Be sure and try the chicken marinara and tip your waitress! I'll be working here all weekend, folks!

http://www.amazon.com/N2N-Bodywear-Leather-Wrestling-Singlet-Large/dp/B008PFLYMU/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1378408959&sr=8-35&keywords=wrestling+singlet

you could try these.

Quote: Originally Posted by dookie44 .

If you are embarrassed you can always stuff a rolled up sock in there

In days of old, when knights were bold, and condoms weren't invented.......

They'd wrap a sock....... you can fill in the rest.

You could wear the tight ones with loose regular shorts over top. This way no one sees your whole situation. Maybe make sure they are not so tight though for comfort.

You guys are funny embarrassment for a man is not necessarily because he's small and needs a sock stuffed in there. Guys do stuff like this? They should make padded underwear for guys like padded push up bras for women. There's a big difference between the purpose of the two organs. A man's lower half and a woman's upper half. A guy who thinks that stuffing a sock down there to give an illusion should probably consider asian women and forget the sock.