Best Cycling Song Ever ! (Nominations)

(from Ministry of sound sessions double CD:)
Mylo- Muscle Car: "Well oiled, that's what you are, c'mon, and ride, in my muscle car." dodgy lyrics but at least it makes me think im a machine

Michael Jackson- Billy Jean
Bon Jovi- It's My Life "... it's now or never, i ain't gonna live forever. I am gonna live while im alive."
Groove Armada- any really chill tracks, for when you need to keep HR down.

U2-Desire, Hollywood Tonight Remix, for rides through the city. The cadence is high enough to make you a fast target, harder to hit!

Pink Floyd - Bike

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
Its got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it"

Written by the legendary Syd Barrat, before his indulgence for chemicals turned him into a complete nutter. Actually, taking another look at the lyrics, the chemicals may have already taken their toll.

As an aside, someone should take aside a couple of the posters on this forum and have a quiet word. I mean, Kenny Loggins...

ah yes, but all previous entries were performed by humans not machines.
they have performed entire concerts without appearing on stage!
how about "Driving On The Autobahn"

"Not Foolish Not Wise"
Keef Hartley

"Black Yo Eye"
Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper

"Sitting Here Standing"
The Chocolate Watchband"

"Hot Smoke And Sasafrass"
Bubble Puppy

"Mojo"
Hot Tuna

"Ask The Ages"
Sonny Sharrock

"Miles Ahead"
The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Steerpike said:
I also vote for Kraftwerk's Tour de France. This album captures the true spirit of cycling and exalts man's capacity of beautiful efficiency. It is also musically superior to all prior nominations.

hey, loggins and messina did rock, though.
more from syd barrett. "madcap laughs".

"interstellar overdrive." no guitar rock can match this one unless evolved enough to lose the essence of primal gut instinct.
a genius for our times he was (is?)

Blimp said:
Pink Floyd - Bike

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
Its got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it"

Written by the legendary Syd Barrat, before his indulgence for chemicals turned him into a complete nutter. Actually, taking another look at the lyrics, the chemicals may have already taken their toll.

As an aside, someone should take aside a couple of the posters on this forum and have a quiet word. I mean, Kenny Loggins...

cyberlegend1994 said:
I was thinking the same thing myself - even though some may think it's more of a motorcycling song - this one's got my vote....
A Ramones live concert.

Cadence !!

For those hard intervals, something like Rob Zombie usually does the trick. I used to listen to Rob Zombie - Never Gonna Stop quite a bit while lifting weights.

Yeah never gonna stop me
Never gonna stop
Never gonna stop me
Never gonna stop
Never gonna stop me
Never gonna stop
Never gonna stop me
Never gonna stop

Scream if you want it, cause I want more
Scream if you want it, cause I want more

I do think though that cycling doesn't have a song on the same level that runners have with Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run. It's one of the greatest songs ever.

-Matt

Song has nothing to do with cycling, but it gets me goin when I'm on the trainer:

Darude - Sandstorm

Lonnie Utah said:
Ahhh, Ministry. I like burning inside. Another great climbing song. We'll need some seconds to get it on the list.

I think I want propose "Eric B and Rakim's" "I ain't no joke", I really like this one (esp. the sample from "the JB's (James Brown) "Pass the peas". I'm putting this on up just to get a rap song on the list. Any seconds?

I still want to get some music from other genres on the list, which is BTW.....

Cake - the Distance
Bush - Machine Head
James Brown - Living in America
Kraftwerk - Tour de France
New Order/Orgy - Blue Monday
Tom Cochrane - Life is a highway
Manowar - Wheels of Fire
Riders on the Storm -The Doors
Flight of the Valkyries - Wagner

I'm still playing with the short list. If you make several suggestions, I'll pick what I personally think is the best and put it on. If I think a songs good enough without a second I'll put it on. If you think I'm out of my mind for what I've included or excluded, lobby me. I'm pretty easy to convince....

Still having fun with this,

L
I'll definitely second the ministry and anything by pantera!!!

in my younger days I had a walkman permanantly attached to my head (These days, I do not ride with music) and a great song to listen to was Just One Fix - be MINISTRY... top o the list, baby!

Another "oldie but goodie" popped into my head as I was reading some of these - came out circa 1980:

"Ride Like The Wind" - Christopher Cross

It is the night, my body's weak, I'm on the run, no time for sleep
I've got to ride, ride like the wind, to be free again

CHORUS
And I've got such a long way to go (such a long way to go), make it to the border of Mexico
So I ride like the wind, ride like the wind

I was born the son of a lawless man, always spoke my mind with a gun in my hand
Lived nine lives, gunned down ten, gonna ride like the wind

Chorus

Accused and tried, and told to hang, I was nowhere in sight when the churchbells rang
Never was the kind to do what I was told, gonna ride like the wind before I get old

Repeat first verse

Chorus

Lyrics may not have anything to do with bikes but the idea of riding fast....:)

cyberlegend1994 said:
Another "oldie but goodie" popped into my head as I was reading some of these - came out circa 1980:

"Ride Like The Wind" - Christopher Cross

It is the night, my body's weak, no time to run, no time to sleep
I've got to ride, ride like the wind, to be free again

CHORUS
And I've got such a long way to go, make it to the border of Mexico
So I ride like the wind, ride like the wind

I was born the son of a lawless man, always spoke my mind with a gun in my hand
Lived nine lives, gunned down ten, gonna ride like the wind

Chorus

Accused and tried, and told to hang, I was nowhere in sight when the churchbells rang
Never was the kind to do what I was told, gonna ride like the wind before I get old

Repeat first verse

Chorus
Just a question... do you own a old-school Ford Bronco??

cyberlegend1994 said:
Nope - no SUV's here....
no problem ;) for a second your MO sounded like an old aquaintance of mine from Western MA... oh, and (re) your sig. no IE here :D