Best dampening (non-carbon) bars?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    not an issue.

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    > not an issue.

    Not sure what's gotten into you, slack. With 8 inches front wheel travel, why worry about vibration
    dampening handlebars?

    If you really were looking for a real answer, I would say you get more vibration dampening from a
    squishy set of grips or gel padded gloves than from any make or composition of handlebars.

    -John Morgan

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:32:47 -0700, John Morgan wrote:

    >> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    >> not an issue.
    >
    > Not sure what's gotten into you, slack. With 8 inches front wheel travel, why worry about
    > vibration dampening handlebars?

    Arm pump?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    > not an issue.

    I'm replacing my composite with an Easton Monkey Bar EA70. The Monkey Light DH held up but has some
    bad scars (stress risers?) on it which are starting to worry me. It gave the best dampening but I
    can't afford $150 to replace it every year.

    Yes John, when you're jackhammering down a DH course at speed every little bit helps. My Shiver is
    set up so stiff right now it feels like a rigid fork under 'normal' XC like conditions.

    Mike

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    >not an issue.

    The problem you'll have trying to find relief with bars is that if aluminum bars flex enough to
    really be effective in damping, they're probably gonna break. Carbon might be better, but it's prone
    to catastrophic failure, especially after it's been scored or scratched (and who doesn't scratch up
    their bars?).

    Nope, I'd suggest what John did - a nice cushy set of grips will do a MUCH better job of providing
    damping than a flimsy bar, and they'll be very unlikely to try to kill you.

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    >> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    >> not an issue.
    >
    > I'm replacing my composite with an Easton Monkey Bar EA70. The Monkey Light DH held up but has
    > some bad scars (stress risers?) on it which are starting to worry me. It gave the best dampening
    > but I can't afford $150 to replace it every year.

    That sucks.

    > Yes John, when you're jackhammering down a DH course at speed every little bit helps. My Shiver is
    > set up so stiff right now it feels like a rigid fork under 'normal' XC like conditions.
    >
    > Mike

    So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar to
    what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go faster,
    which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.

    Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
    wrist, I will.
    --
    Slacker

  7. "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
    > to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
    > faster, which in turn, makes
    you
    > feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
    >
    > Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so
    anything
    > I can do to help my wrist, I will.
    > --
    > Slacker

    have you considered a flex-stem?

    Steve.

  8. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    > not an issue.

    Bontranger chromo Crow-Bars if you can still find them.

  9. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
    > not an issue.
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    You need these:

    http://www.extremesteering.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm

    They make a huge difference in hand/forearm comfort. I feel like I have better control of my bike
    since I got these.

    I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with hand
    strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.

    -Bruce

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight
    > > is not an issue.
    >
    > Not sure what's gotten into you, slack. With 8 inches front wheel travel, why worry about
    > vibration dampening handlebars?
    >
    > If you really were looking for a real answer, I would say you get more vibration dampening from a
    > squishy set of grips or gel padded gloves than from any make or composition of handlebars.

    That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
    right) than what he is looking for. A bar with a bit of damping characteristics will help with
    hand and lower arm fatigue, but larger grips or gel gloves are just going to do the opposite.
    Although I think the damping characterists of a bar are going to be determined by the material
    more than anything.

    Greg

  11. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    > Carbon might be better, but it's prone to catastrophic failure, especially after it's been scored
    > or scratched (and who doesn't scratch up their bars?).

    Ain't that the truth! Get anything within 6" of my carbon monkeylites, they get a scratch! This
    concerns me enough to consider just going with an aluminum bar in the very near future.

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > You need these:
    >
    > http://www.extremesteering.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm
    >
    > They make a huge difference in hand/forearm comfort. I feel like I have better control of my bike
    > since I got these.

    Looks like they sell them at a shop near me. I was just there last weekend looking at some grips
    when I was distracted by some killer shorts that I had to have. I'll go back and try to stay focused
    this time ;~)

    > I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with hand
    > strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.
    >
    > -Bruce

    Cool, thanks for the tips!
    --
    Slacker

  13. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >>
    >> So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
    >> to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
    >> faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
    >>
    >> Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
    >> wrist, I will.
    >> --
    >> Slacker
    >
    > have you considered a flex-stem?
    >
    > Steve.

    Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.

    Got any more info?
    --
    Slacker

  14. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >
    >>"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>berlin.de...
    >>
    >>>So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
    >>>to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
    >>>faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
    >>>
    >>>Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
    >>>wrist, I will.
    >>>--
    >>>Slacker
    >>
    >>have you considered a flex-stem?
    >>
    >>Steve.
    >

    > Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.

    Your first impression is uncannily appropriate.

    > Got any more info?

    http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html

    Run, run far away from the above.

    Greg

  15. "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > >>
    > >> So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something
    > >> similar to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages
    > >> you to go faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
    > >>
    > >> Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
    > >> wrist, I will.
    > >> --
    > >> Slacker
    > >
    > > have you considered a flex-stem?
    > >
    > > Steve.
    >

    > Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and
    stem
    > in the same sentence.
    >
    > Got any more info?
    > --

    Just in case you didn't realise - I was taking the p*ss...

  16. "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > berlin.de...

    > > > have you considered a flex-stem?
    > > >
    > > > Steve.
    > >

    > > Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and
    > stem
    > > in the same sentence.
    > >
    > > Got any more info?
    > > --
    >
    > Just in case you didn't realise - I was taking the p*ss...

    oh and if you didn't realise, take a good look at this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57267&item=36578335 62

    Plush.

    Steve.

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  18. In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:08:38 +0000, G.T. wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
    > >
    > > Run, run far away from the above.
    >
    > Pah. He doesn't want one of those bits of rubbish, he wants a proper Flexstem:
    > http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/girvin.html

    Quill stems with welded clamps, no wonder the page is copywrited 1997 :)
    --
    _________________________

  19. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Lead slugs stuffed into the ends?

    That Steve Baker is a REAL JERK.

    LOL.

    How about something made of Ti? Doesn't Titec have some straight and bent bars made of 3/2.5?

    (Off the top of my head, that is.)
    --
    Jonesy