Best dampening (non-carbon) bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G.T. wrote:

>
>
> That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
> right) than what he is looking for.
>
> Greg
>
>

I had been resisting the urge to point out that a bucket full of water will make any handlebar
extremely well dampened.

A well damped bar, though, is a different thing...

Miles

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
>right) than what he is looking for.

Sorry to dampen your parade (sorry...) but "dampen" IS also a proper way to refer to the same thing
as "damping". In both cases, the meaning can be "to dull or deaden".

It's a shame, too - 'cuz it's so much fun to point out to people that they're talking about wetting
their bike...

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
>>right) than what he is looking for.
>
>
> Sorry to dampen your parade (sorry...) but "dampen" IS also a proper way to refer to the same
> thing as "damping". In both cases, the meaning can be "to dull or deaden".
>
> It's a shame, too - 'cuz it's so much fun to point out to people that they're talking about
> wetting their bike...
>

Damn, you're right. It's just been drilled into my my head that dampen means to make wet, and damp
means to deaden.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Jonesy says:
>
>> That Steve Baker is a REAL JERK.
>
> ;-)
>
>> How about something made of Ti? Doesn't Titec have some straight and bent bars made of 3/2.5?
>
> Does nobody do a carbon/Kevlar bar? Ought to provide a bit more damping and a bit more impact-
> resistance.
>
> Steve

Boy, you are a Jerk! Did you not read the subject line

;^ )

I don't believe there's a DH worthy carbon bar on the market right now. And as Mike so eloquently
put it, I can't afford to replace a $150 carbon bar every year.

Know anything about Scandium?
--
Slacker

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
>> right) than what he is looking for.
>
> Sorry to dampen your parade (sorry...) but "dampen" IS also a proper way to refer to the same
> thing as "damping". In both cases, the meaning can be "to dull or deaden".
>
> It's a shame, too - 'cuz it's so much fun to point out to people that they're talking about
> wetting their bike...
>
> Mark Hickey

Thanks Mark! Your spirit is never dampened!

What's a matter with everyone... whaddya think I'm stoopid and kant spel or someting... sheeesh

--
Salker

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Slacker says:
>
>> Boy, you are a Jerk! Did you not read the subject line
>>
>
> Is Kevlar carbon? Not last time I looked ;-P

THAT STEVE BAKER IS A *COMPOSITE* JERK!!!

Bill "should've top-posted it for full effect" S.

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Slacker says:
>
>> Boy, you are a Jerk! Did you not read the subject line
>>
>
> Is Kevlar carbon? Not last time I looked ;-P
>
> (OK, so I _did_ say carbon/Kevlar) ;-)
>
> Steve

http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.cfm?id=hb_handlebars.htm

And those were the worst of all the carbon/kevlar bars. Damn things were crackling just tightening
my shifter/brake bolts. And I wasn't cranking down on them.
--
Slacker

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Slacker says:
>
>> http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.cfm?id=hb_handlebars.htm
>>
>> And those were the worst of all the carbon/kevlar bars. Damn things were crackling just
>> tightening my shifter/brake bolts. And I wasn't cranking down on them.
>
> Now that's a shame. Too light, or just not marvellous idea when all is said and done?
>
> Steve

All the bars I've seen are laid up/vacuum formed from composite cloth or prepreg. Similar to the
way a hull or surfboard is done. This works great for flatter surfaces, but very bad for high
strength tubing.

IMHO, they should filament-wind them http://www.doubleeusa.com/etubing.htm , then you'd have perfect
resin saturation/dispersion. Unfortunately, if made this way, the cost would probably be a lot
closer to $1,000 than $100.

I still haven't seen a good use or application of a carbon component for MTB's. Hopefully some day.

--
Slacker

>> Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.
>>
>> Got any more info?
>> --
>
> Just in case you didn't realise - I was taking the p*ss...

That's what I thought, but you never know with you foreigners.
--
Slacker - just took a ****... #2 coming up

>> Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.
>>
>
> Your first impression is uncannily appropriate.
>
>> Got any more info?
>>
>
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
>
> Run, run far away from the above.
>
> Greg

OMG! That thing is scary... please tell me the inventor is in jail now, getting butt raped.
--
Slacker

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I still haven't seen a good use or application of a carbon component for MTB's. Hopefully
> some day.
>

Hmmm.... the carbon fiber monocoque main frame on my Schwinn full suspension seems to be doing the
job for me. I've busted or worn out just about every other component on that bike (including the
original aluminum s20 frame) but the carbon fiber keeps going strong.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:08:38 +0000, G.T. wrote:

> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
> >
> > Run, run far away from the above.

> Pah. He doesn't want one of those bits of rubbish, he wants a proper Flexstem:
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/girvin.html

Indeed. The Softride stem is not a substitute for a susp fork and seems ridiculous to those used to
80-100mm forks standard on all bikes, but it does fairly well at smoothing out small bumps and
taking the sting off your hands. I just used one on my singlespeed (rigid, 1" steerer) to do a long
race with a lot of railroad tracks and it's the reason I can type tonight. I'm glad I only had to
pay a swap-meet price for it though.

OTOH, the genuine Flexstem is a pretty silly object. I would like to see a Flexstem-suspension fork
combo - instant endo machine.

Slacker wrote:
>>I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with hand
>>strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.
>>
>>-Bruce
>
>
>
> Cool, thanks for the tips!
> --
> Slacker
>
>
I was thinking this the other day. Just to clarify, I meant _really_ light weights, otherwise you'll
just make it worse. I started with 8 lb for the rev wrist curl, it seems really light, but 50 or so
later you feel it. Talking with my ortho guy, it seems that you need to find some angle that doesn't
hurt too. If it hurts, you're making it worse, so play around with the angles and find something
that works for you.

-Bruce

Bruce Edge wrote:
> Slacker wrote:
>>> I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with
>>> hand strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.
>>>
>>> -Bruce
>>
>>
>>
>> Cool, thanks for the tips!
>> --
>> Slacker
>>
>>
> I was thinking this the other day. Just to clarify, I meant _really_ light weights, otherwise
> you'll just make it worse. I started with 8 lb for the rev wrist curl, it seems really light, but
> 50 or so later you feel it. Talking with my ortho guy, it seems that you need to find some angle
> that doesn't hurt too. If it hurts, you're making it worse, so play around with the angles and
> find something that works for you.
>
> -Bruce

Actually, I'll start with the 5 lbs. I have tiny wrists and they've always been the weakest link on
my body. Most of the girls I've gone out with had bigger wrists than mine.

Thanks again
--
Slacker

bomba wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:46:04 -0800, Slacker wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'll start with the 5 lbs. I have tiny wrists and they've always been the weakest link
>> on my body. Most of the girls I've gone out with had bigger wrists than mine.
>
> And I always thought you were a big ******...

Nope, just a puny pisser.
--
Slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.