Best dampening (non-carbon) bars?

Slacker

Guest
Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
not an issue.

--
Slacker

> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
> not an issue.

Not sure what's gotten into you, slack. With 8 inches front wheel travel, why worry about vibration
dampening handlebars?

If you really were looking for a real answer, I would say you get more vibration dampening from a
squishy set of grips or gel padded gloves than from any make or composition of handlebars.

-John Morgan

In news:[email protected],
Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
> not an issue.

I'm replacing my composite with an Easton Monkey Bar EA70. The Monkey Light DH held up but has some
bad scars (stress risers?) on it which are starting to worry me. It gave the best dampening but I
can't afford $150 to replace it every year.

Yes John, when you're jackhammering down a DH course at speed every little bit helps. My Shiver is
set up so stiff right now it feels like a rigid fork under 'normal' XC like conditions.

Mike

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
>not an issue.

The problem you'll have trying to find relief with bars is that if aluminum bars flex enough to
really be effective in damping, they're probably gonna break. Carbon might be better, but it's prone
to catastrophic failure, especially after it's been scored or scratched (and who doesn't scratch up
their bars?).

Nope, I'd suggest what John did - a nice cushy set of grips will do a MUCH better job of providing
damping than a flimsy bar, and they'll be very unlikely to try to kill you.

Michael Dart wrote:
> In news:[email protected], Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
>> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
>> not an issue.
>
> I'm replacing my composite with an Easton Monkey Bar EA70. The Monkey Light DH held up but has
> some bad scars (stress risers?) on it which are starting to worry me. It gave the best dampening
> but I can't afford $150 to replace it every year.

That sucks.

> Yes John, when you're jackhammering down a DH course at speed every little bit helps. My Shiver is
> set up so stiff right now it feels like a rigid fork under 'normal' XC like conditions.
>
> Mike

So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar to
what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go faster,
which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.

Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
wrist, I will.
--
Slacker

> So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
> to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
> faster, which in turn, makes
you
> feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
>
> Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so
anything
> I can do to help my wrist, I will.
> --
> Slacker

have you considered a flex-stem?

Steve.

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
> not an issue.

Bontranger chromo Crow-Bars if you can still find them.

Slacker wrote:
> Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight is
> not an issue.
>
> --
> Slacker

You need these:

http://www.extremesteering.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm

They make a huge difference in hand/forearm comfort. I feel like I have better control of my bike
since I got these.

I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with hand
strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.

-Bruce

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Ok, so which non-carbon, riser (low) bars have the best dampening properties? Price and weight
> > is not an issue.
>
> Not sure what's gotten into you, slack. With 8 inches front wheel travel, why worry about
> vibration dampening handlebars?
>
> If you really were looking for a real answer, I would say you get more vibration dampening from a
> squishy set of grips or gel padded gloves than from any make or composition of handlebars.

That's a way different idea of damping (damping, not dampening, you're not pissing on your bars,
right) than what he is looking for. A bar with a bit of damping characteristics will help with
hand and lower arm fatigue, but larger grips or gel gloves are just going to do the opposite.
Although I think the damping characterists of a bar are going to be determined by the material
more than anything.

Greg

> Carbon might be better, but it's prone to catastrophic failure, especially after it's been scored
> or scratched (and who doesn't scratch up their bars?).

Ain't that the truth! Get anything within 6" of my carbon monkeylites, they get a scratch! This
concerns me enough to consider just going with an aluminum bar in the very near future.

> You need these:
>
> http://www.extremesteering.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm
>
> They make a huge difference in hand/forearm comfort. I feel like I have better control of my bike
> since I got these.

Looks like they sell them at a shop near me. I was just there last weekend looking at some grips
when I was distracted by some killer shorts that I had to have. I'll go back and try to stay focused
this time ;~)

> I also started doing light weight high rep wrist curls, front and back. That helps a lot with hand
> strength, and has all but cured my tendonitis.
>
> -Bruce

Cool, thanks for the tips!
--
Slacker

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>>
>> So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
>> to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
>> faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
>>
>> Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
>> wrist, I will.
>> --
>> Slacker
>
> have you considered a flex-stem?
>
> Steve.

Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.

Got any more info?
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> spademan o---[) * wrote:
>
>>"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>>berlin.de...
>>
>>>So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something similar
>>>to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages you to go
>>>faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
>>>
>>>Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
>>>wrist, I will.
>>>--
>>>Slacker
>>
>>have you considered a flex-stem?
>>
>>Steve.
>

> Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and stem in the same sentence.

Your first impression is uncannily appropriate.

> Got any more info?

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html

Run, run far away from the above.

Greg

> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> >>
> >> So true. I remember meeting a dude riding a Super8/Shiver my first year. I said something
> >> similar to what John said. He explained to me with all that extra travel, it only encourages
> >> you to go faster, which in turn, makes you feel stuff on the trail you didn't before.
> >>
> >> Plus, I'm already having some wrist problems; carpal maybe (??) so anything I can do to help my
> >> wrist, I will.
> >> --
> >> Slacker
> >
> > have you considered a flex-stem?
> >
> > Steve.
>

> Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and
stem
> in the same sentence.
>
> Got any more info?
> --

Just in case you didn't realise - I was taking the p*ss...

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > > berlin.de...

> > > have you considered a flex-stem?
> > >
> > > Steve.
> >

> > Never heard of such a contraption, but I don't like the words flex and
> stem
> > in the same sentence.
> >
> > Got any more info?
> > --
>
> Just in case you didn't realise - I was taking the p*ss...

oh and if you didn't realise, take a good look at this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57267&item=36578335 62

Plush.

Steve.

In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:08:38 +0000, G.T. wrote:
>
> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
> >
> > Run, run far away from the above.
>
> Pah. He doesn't want one of those bits of rubbish, he wants a proper Flexstem:
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/girvin.html

Quill stems with welded clamps, no wonder the page is copywrited 1997 :)
--

[email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Lead slugs stuffed into the ends?

That Steve Baker is a REAL JERK.

LOL.

How about something made of Ti? Doesn't Titec have some straight and bent bars made of 3/2.5?

(Off the top of my head, that is.)
--
Jonesy