Best deals on used bikes

fapper

Apr 24, 2016
So recently I decided I wanted to start repairing old bikes and creating custom ones as well. I bought a 44 piece bike tool kit off ebay for like 35 bucks. Not sure if these tools will last long but I figured I would give them a try.

Now I'm in the process of trying to get old bikes for cheap. I downloaded a craigslist android app that notifies me when a bike is posted for 50$ or less. I also signed up for a couple local buy/sell facebook groups. I wanted to ask if you guys had any other ideas on good ways to get cheap bikes, even if they are in rough shape.

Reactions: byhu
Yes you can find a bunch of nice used bikes on craigslist, but I tend to stick with newer bikes. I usually want something new and untouched to use and provides the best reliability. Though I bet there are some bike resell apps on google play and what not. It's worth a search!

Hey there @fapper! You're making some wise choices: buy low, add value, recycling and green transportation and sports. Sounds like a win-win to me. As for where else to find cheap used bikes, I would also check garage and estate sales, Thrifty Nickel and Greensheet. I'm sure you're also keeping your eyes open for roadside discards.

I have done a bit of looking and craigslist seems to be the most consistently low priced. I am just waiting back on the right deal before I buy, as there can be lots of quick sales on good quality bikes for quite cheap.

Thanks for the advice. So far I havent had much luck on craigslist. About one time every two months I will see a cheap one at the salvation army, but they get picked up so quick I miss most of them. I plan to go talk to an employee and ask if they can ring me next time they get one in. Not sure if it will work but its worth a shot.

I really believe that you shouldn't buy bikes, especially used ones, online. It's a terrible gamble, as you may not know the extent of damage from the bike, and you would have to pay up for the repairs if anything goes wrong there. If you buy a new one from a store near you, not only will you get security from damage, but you also help out your local sellers, which is a win win for everyone. Not to mention, you get a warranty, so you won't have to worry about damaged or defective parts, and you can just ride your bike with ease.

I really believe that you shouldn't buy bikes, especially used ones, online. It's a terrible gamble, as you may not know the extent of damage from the bike, and you would have to pay up for the repairs if anything goes wrong there. If you buy a new one from a store near you, not only will you get security from damage, but you also help out your local sellers, which is a win win for everyone. Not to mention, you get a warranty, so you won't have to worry about damaged or defective parts, and you can just ride your bike with ease.

True but I specifically want damaged bikes in order to repair them. I like the idea of recycling old bikes into fancy new bikes. I want them to look odd, like BMX bikes with ape hanger handle bars. Crazy colored glossy paint jobs. Stuff that makes them stand out and be one of a kind. That's what will make it possible for me to charge high doller for them. It's a process of creating functional art.