Best descender in TdF GC?

El Angliru

Jul 18, 2010
Both remaining mountain stages before the rest day feature long descents after a HC, leaving the door open for someone of the caliber of Sammy Sanchez to gain significant ground on the rest of the field. In fact, Sanchez himself is lying in third at the moment, and as demonstrated in today's stage to Ax 3 domaines, could get away from Contador and Schleck on the climb, as they seem preoccupied with in-fighting amongst themselves.

In fact, Menchov looked strong today as well - keeping pace with Alberto and Andy at the front, which begs the question, could we possibly see a dramatic change to the overall in the next couple of days?

i can't say anything about the leads changing hands in the Tour but for as far as great descenders go i'd give David Arroyo an A+ from this years Giro.

were you meaning descender as from overall lead positioning falling or as in literally as in coming down the mountain?

either way..

Il Falco!!!!!!!

He had a serious faceplant back in the day and had to get cosmetic surgery to fix it all up.

I agree, Dan, Savoldelli was the best descender I've seen in the modern peloton.
Di Luca was a maniac as well.

In the current bunch, there is no out and out great descender in my view.
Cunego, Moreau, are not bad.