Best distracted driver ever!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ryan Cousineau, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Oh yeah, I know you're thinking, "what, another cell phone user with an open laptop, screaming
    child, lipstick tube and coffee mug?"

    No, friends. as I was driving to the Tuesday Nighter, I paced a gentleman driving a 60s-vintage
    Toronado driving with one hand. That was because he was using the other hand to play a trumpet. Not
    just a little bit, either. I followed him for several miles, and he never put the thing down.

    I opened my window, and he seemed pretty good. Better than just scales, anyways.

  2. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I once saw a florist arranging flowers while driving. when I called her the next day she told me to
    stuff it and hung up.

    I have also seen mail delivery folks driving non-right had side cars sitting in the right hand seat
    so they can stuff the mail in road side boxes without having to slide over on the seat. I am going
    to write the local postmaster about this one soon.

    > Oh yeah, I know you're thinking, "what, another cell phone user with an open laptop, screaming
    > child, lipstick tube and coffee mug?"
    >
    > No, friends. as I was driving to the Tuesday Nighter, I paced a gentleman driving a 60s-vintage
    > Toronado driving with one hand. That was because he was using the other hand to play a trumpet.
    > Not just a little bit, either. I followed him for several miles, and he never put the thing down.
    >
    > I opened my window, and he seemed pretty good. Better than just scales, anyways.
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > I once saw a florist arranging flowers while driving. when I called her the next day she told me
    > to stuff it and hung up.
    >
    > I have also seen mail delivery folks driving non-right had side cars sitting in the right hand
    > seat so they can stuff the mail in road side boxes without having to slide over on the seat. I am
    > going to write the local postmaster about this one soon.

    I would say a true majority of the residential delivery in my area is done this way. Very few of
    them have right-hand-drive vehicles, and they drive sitting on the right side, reaching over to the
    left side.

    it's morning".

  4. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I once saw a florist arranging flowers while driving. when I called her
    the
    > > next day she told me to stuff it and hung up.
    > >
    > > I have also seen mail delivery folks driving non-right had side cars
    sitting
    > > in the right hand seat so they can stuff the mail in road side boxes
    without
    > > having to slide over on the seat. I am going to write the local
    postmaster
    > > about this one soon.
    >
    > I would say a true majority of the residential delivery in my area is done this way. Very few of
    > them have right-hand-drive vehicles, and they drive sitting on the right side, reaching over to
    > the left side.

    Yup, this is a common practice, especially in rural areas. Of course, they also have their hazard
    lights on, keep their speed down and usually have a yellow strobe on the car. I haven't seen one hit
    anything yet. If it wasn't considered relatively safe, they wouldn't be doing it anymore.

    -Buck

  5. On the cable news this afternoon was an account of a woman driving along the Ohio turnpike
    breastfeeding her baby. The cops lit her up but she drove on until she came to her exit and got off.

    She didn't think she'd done anything wrong, said there is risk in being iin a car anyway.

    She did an on-camera interview. Lots of attitude. Probably got right back on the freeway and
    did it again.

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p
    . c o m> says...
    > "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > I have also seen mail delivery folks driving non-right had side cars
    > sitting
    > > > in the right hand seat so they can stuff the mail in road side boxes
    > without
    > > > having to slide over on the seat. I am going to write the local
    > postmaster
    > > > about this one soon.
    > >
    > > I would say a true majority of the residential delivery in my area is done this way. Very few of
    > > them have right-hand-drive vehicles, and they drive sitting on the right side, reaching over to
    > > the left side.
    >
    > Yup, this is a common practice, especially in rural areas. Of course, they also have their hazard
    > lights on, keep their speed down and usually have a yellow strobe on the car. I haven't seen one
    > hit anything yet. If it wasn't considered relatively safe, they wouldn't be doing it anymore.

    I agree. I haven't seen the yellow strobe, but all your other observations apply, plus around here
    they have a big sign on the back which says something to the effect of "U.S. Mail - frequent stops"

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:21:57 -0400, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:

    >around here they have a big sign on the back which says something to the effect of "U.S. Mail -
    >frequent stops"

    You kind of wonder why they don't give them right-drive vehicles under the circumstances. We have
    left-drive vehicles for street cleaning over here. Our posties mainly walk or ride special bikes
    made by Pashley just for the Post Office.

    Guy
    ===

  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
    > You kind of wonder why they don't give them right-drive vehicles under the circumstances. We have
    > left-drive vehicles for street cleaning over here. Our posties mainly walk or ride special bikes
    > made by Pashley just for the Post Office.
    >
    > Guy

    Delivery vehicles owned by the Post Office are frequently right hand drive. However, a lot of mail
    in this country is delivered by contract carriers, who supply their own vehicles. I have seen a few
    of these equipped with dual controls, so that the mail man can do his rounds sitting in the right
    hand seat, then switch to the left seat for normal driving.

    There are cities where mail men walk, but that's not really the American way, is it?
    --
    mark

  9. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:21:57 -0400, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    > >around here they have a big sign on the back which says something to the effect of "U.S. Mail -
    > >frequent stops"
    >
    > You kind of wonder why they don't give them right-drive vehicles under the circumstances. We have
    > left-drive vehicles for street cleaning over here. Our posties mainly walk or ride special bikes
    > made by Pashley just for the Post Office.

    They don't *give* them anything to deliver the mail with; those are the carriers' own personal
    vehicles. Most of the rural and suburban delivery is not done by USPS employees any more; they are
    contractors.

    it's morning".

  10. Sojourner

    Sojourner Guest

    mark wrote:

    > Delivery vehicles owned by the Post Office are frequently right hand drive. However, a lot of mail
    > in this country is delivered by contract carriers, who supply their own vehicles. I have seen a
    > few of these equipped with dual controls, so that the mail man can do his rounds sitting in the
    > right hand seat, then switch to the left seat for normal driving.

    My rural mail carrier (and they are ALL contractors out here) is a royal hazard. He comes tearing
    down these narrow dirt roads in his truck far faster than is safe - I've nearly been hit by him
    several times. I try not to be on the road at his usual mail delivery times. He comes roaring down
    the middle of the lane, sees me coming, hits the brake and slides on all that loose chert. He's
    going to get me one of these days ... LAST time, I was in my 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (I usually drive a
    Geo Metro) and he was just in his wimpy little girly girl truck, you should have seen him slide over
    toward the ditch rather than risk destroying his tin can against the front end of my behemoth. LOL!

    BTW, he uses no flashing yellow light, no sign, nothing, just drives like a maniac. And loses half
    my mail too boot.

    Sojourner

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:13:06 -0400, archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Most of the rural and suburban delivery is not done by USPS employees any more; they are
    >contractors.

    So the only vehicles provided by USPS are Lance's bikes? Well how about that! ;-)

    Guy
    ===

  12. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:13:06 -0400, archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Most of the rural and suburban delivery is not done by USPS employees any more; they are
    > >contractors.
    >
    > So the only vehicles provided by USPS are Lance's bikes? Well how about that! ;-)

    LOL! Though I'm not sure the USPS pays for the bikes; Trek might provide them as part of their
    sponsorship agreement.

    I realize you're being humorous, but I'm going to give a serious answer anyway: AFAIK, the pickup
    from mail drop boxes and much of the urban delivery are still done by regular USPS employees.

    it's morning".

  13. Thornhill

    Thornhill Guest

    That's the way our carrier is -- he floors it between mailboxes, usually hitting one of them with
    his pickup's side mirror. We complained to the local postmaster about him, but were told he (the
    carrier) would only get worse if he (the postmaster) said something to him. After we had to replace
    our roadside mailbox for the third time, we gave up and got a PO box.

    mike

    Visit the Thornhill Mobile HomePage http://webpages.charter.net/thornhillmobilehome/ "Sojourner"
    > mark wrote:
    >

    > > Delivery vehicles owned by the Post Office are frequently right hand
    drive.
    > > However, a lot of mail in this country is delivered by contract
    carriers,
    > > who supply their own vehicles. I have seen a few of these equipped with
    dual
    > > controls, so that the mail man can do his rounds sitting in the right
    hand
    > > seat, then switch to the left seat for normal driving.
    >
    > My rural mail carrier (and they are ALL contractors out here) is a royal hazard. He comes tearing
    > down these narrow dirt roads in his truck far faster than is safe - I've nearly been hit by him
    > several times. I try not to be on the road at his usual mail delivery times. He comes roaring down
    > the middle of the lane, sees me coming, hits the brake and slides on all that loose chert. He's
    > going to get me one of these days ... LAST time, I was in my 3/4 ton Chevy pickup (I usually drive
    > a Geo Metro) and he was just in his wimpy little girly girl truck, you should have seen him slide
    > over toward the ditch rather than risk destroying his tin can against the front end of my
    > behemoth. LOL!
    >
    > BTW, he uses no flashing yellow light, no sign, nothing, just drives like a maniac. And loses half
    > my mail too boot.
    >
    > Sojourner

    ---

  14. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:35:33 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > No, friends. as I was driving to the Tuesday Nighter, I paced a gentleman driving a 60s-vintage
    > Toronado driving with one hand. That was because he was using the other hand to play a trumpet.
    > Not just a little bit, either. I followed him for several miles, and he never put the thing down.

    In Germany, a musician was once stopped on the autobahn for doing
    > 160km/h while playing the violin (practicing on his way to a concert)

  15. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

    > If it wasn't considered relatively safe, they wouldn't be doing it anymore.

    People do dangerous jobs all the time. Many of us would consider the risks taken by farmers, miners,
    smoke jumpers, and inner-city cab drivers to be unacceptable, but people do these jobs every day.
    Think of the day-laborer who unknowingly works an asbestos abatement job without protection -- it's
    not considered safe, but it happens all the time.

    RFM

  16. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > That's the way our carrier is -- he floors it between mailboxes, usually hitting one of them with
    > his pickup's side mirror. We complained to the local postmaster about him, but were told he (the
    > carrier) would only get worse if he (the postmaster) said something to him. After we had to
    replace
    > our roadside mailbox for the third time, we gave up and got a PO box.

    You gave up too soon. A metal post on the right side of the box would have fixed the problem right
    away. As for his driving habits, a call to the Sheriff will usually take care of that.

    I love the rural life. If only it had broadband access.....

    -Buck

  17. archer wrote:

    > I would say a true majority of the residential delivery in my area is done this way. Very few of
    > them have right-hand-drive vehicles, and they drive sitting on the right side, reaching over to
    > the left side.

    All of the residential delivery mail trucks, plus all of the regular (non-contract) mail delivery
    trucks in the rural areas in this area have right-hand drive and have had for some years now. Where
    in the world (US) do you live?

    Alexander Gilchrist

  18. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > archer wrote:
    >

    > > I would say a true majority of the residential delivery in my area is done this way. Very few of
    > > them have right-hand-drive vehicles, and they drive sitting on the right side, reaching over to
    > > the left side.
    >
    > All of the residential delivery mail trucks, plus all of the regular (non-contract) mail delivery
    > trucks in the rural areas in this area have right-hand drive and have had for some years now.
    > Where in the world (US) do you live?

    All of the USPS-owned delivery trucks around here have right-hand drive, but the private contractors
    who drive their own vehicles mostly do not, and most of the rural and suburban residential delivery
    is done by the private contractors. I believe the urban areas use regular USPS trucks.

    it's morning".

  19. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > That's the way our carrier is -- he floors it between mailboxes, usually hitting one of them
    > > with his pickup's side mirror. We complained to the local postmaster about him, but were told he
    > > (the carrier) would only
    get
    > > worse if he (the postmaster) said something to him. After we had to
    > replace
    > > our roadside mailbox for the third time, we gave up and got a PO box.
    >
    > You gave up too soon. A metal post on the right side of the box would have fixed the problem right
    > away. As for his driving habits, a call to the Sheriff will usually take care of that.
    >
    > I love the rural life. If only it had broadband access.....

    That's good advice, but I'd position myself in front of him one day to stop him from getting away,
    ane then I'd tell him that, if he continued, he'd start seeing mysterious flying rocks if he didn't
    change his attitude.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  20. In article <0%[email protected]>, "Robin Hubert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > That's the way our carrier is -- he floors it between mailboxes, usually hitting one of them
    > > > with his pickup's side mirror. We complained to the local postmaster about him, but were told
    > > > he (the carrier) would only
    > get
    > > > worse if he (the postmaster) said something to him. After we had to
    > > replace
    > > > our roadside mailbox for the third time, we gave up and got a PO box.
    > >
    > > You gave up too soon. A metal post on the right side of the box would have fixed the problem
    > > right away. As for his driving habits, a call to the Sheriff will usually take care of that.
    >
    > That's good advice, but I'd position myself in front of him one day to stop him from getting away,
    > ane then I'd tell him that, if he continued, he'd start seeing mysterious flying rocks if he
    > didn't change his attitude.

    Do you frequently make idle threats to contractors with bad attitudes and access to all of
    your mail?

    agree about beefing up the mailbox structure. Also helps prevent mailbox baseball.