Best Entry Level Bike in SA.

bretth

Aug 31, 2004
Hi there all,

I just want to find out the best value entry level bike in South Africa.

I have got quotes on Fuji, Raleigh and Gt bikes- in the R4000 to R6500.

second hand is also a definite option.

Any advice on what is the best to buy??

Thanks.

Brett

Hi Brett. I've been doing some research into these things, though higher up the ranges. Seems Raleigh and Giant are the ranges that offer great value according to magazines (Which seem to ignore Fuji, no doubt because of doubt over the importer).. My thinking would be Fuji, they seem to have great value as long as you are prepared to take a chance on the importer folding and losing backup..

In reality, in my thinking, around that price point you should really just be going for a reasonable aluminium frame and then finding out which has the best components (Maybe tiagra?) and rims... Second hand might be a really good bet though, there are lots of people cycling in this country and that means lots of unused bikes (somebody buys a bike, rides one argus and stops)... Used you could probably find something nice with Shimano 105 components and a good frame.. (I bought a bike 2 yrs ago for R2500 or so, ok aluminium frame, 8 speed 105 etc, has worked well despite my lack of maintenance!)

V

Your best bet at this point in time if you looking for new is a Raleigh R3000 (2005 model-about R5500) i.m.h.o

Good all round.Full Tiagra groupset,carbon fork and 7005 Alu.Local guys and no hassle with warrenty.

My 5c...

asdf247 said:
Your best bet at this point in time if you looking for new is a Raleigh R3000 (2005 model-about R5500) i.m.h.o

Good all round.Full Tiagra groupset,carbon fork and 7005 Alu.Local guys and no hassle with warrenty.

My 5c...

Thanks, man

I just looked at that exact bike today,and it definitely seems to be the best value deal,esp. as it has the tiagra as opposed to sora groupset.

This looks like it is the one.

Your input is greatly appreciated, all of you.

Cheers,
brett

Hi
I guess it all depends on the price you are willing to pay. I looked at entry level as I was buying two bikes - one for me and one for my wife. I looked at a few different bikes - including the Fuji, Giant and Raleigh RC2000. I was surprised to see the prices compared to mountain bikes - anyway lets not go there.

I was quite ready to hand over the R4000 for the Fuji Ace, when I found a Scott Sport. It has a similar config to the Fuji Ace and with discount cost me R3300 per bike. Its a aluminium frame, with Cro-moly fork, Sora headsets. Maybe not the best components but definitely entry level. The other thing I really like about the bike is that it has a triple chain ring.

As I am an entry level rider too, I could not justify the extra money for the less weight. For less weight I am just going to have to go on diet:D

Check the Scott out - I only know of a distributor in Durbs - maybe someone else knows in the other centres. Overall I am very happy with the bike

Grant

cside said:
Hi
I guess it all depends on the price you are willing to pay. I looked at entry level as I was buying two bikes - one for me and one for my wife. I looked at a few different bikes - including the Fuji, Giant and Raleigh RC2000. I was surprised to see the prices compared to mountain bikes - anyway lets not go there.

I was quite ready to hand over the R4000 for the Fuji Ace, when I found a Scott Sport. It has a similar config to the Fuji Ace and with discount cost me R3300 per bike. Its a aluminium frame, with Cro-moly fork, Sora headsets. Maybe not the best components but definitely entry level. The other thing I really like about the bike is that it has a triple chain ring.

As I am an entry level rider too, I could not justify the extra money for the less weight. For less weight I am just going to have to go on diet:D

Check the Scott out - I only know of a distributor in Durbs - maybe someone else knows in the other centres. Overall I am very happy with the bike

Grant

Thanks,Grant

Am in Durbs, so if you could let me know the distributor, that would be great.
To be honest, I haven't considered Scott- I guess I just assumed it would be too expensive!

I will be buying in the new year, so still a little time to save!LOL

thanks again,
Brett

Hi Brett

The distributor is Shauns Power Cycles in Umgeni Road. I think at present they still have a fair amount of 2004 stock. The Sport is a nice looking bike, not sure what the 2005 model looks like.

Go along and see the guys and gal there. Let me know how it goes....

Grant

Hi, Grant

Thanks, man.
I will check it out this week.
See you on the road.

Brett

Hey you durban boys!I'm currently stuck in London but am returning to Durban in November(cant wait!!!).
Anyway next year I'm looking at joining a club and was wondering what the opinios are regarding the various clubs.I used to belong to Westville and they look like they are really jacked up.What about Kings park etc?Also in Durban I tend to do a lot of training in upper highway area and was wondering if any of you guys are nervous about riding out there with regards to crime etc?What are your thoughts?

Hi Andy

Why you coming back? Everyone seems to be wanting to go there... Anyway I am sure that you will be welcomed back with wide arms, I know there is no where quite like Durban.

Well I have just recenlty started with Bluff Cycling, they are a new club, but would only really appeal to you if you were on or around the Bluff. I know Yellow Wood Park have a team going that seems to be quite active. The two biggies would be ECPPA and Westville. I think the majority of riders are from those two clubs. I have heard that ECPPA is very good, and that they will help you with improving yourself. I am not sure about Westville, I know a few riders from there, and they are very nice people and they are very good riders too. I think it will probably come down to where you will be living.

As for the upper highway area - I am not sure. I have no experience of the area. I will be doing my first race in that area this weekend and I am told that the hills are challenging. As for safety maybe someone else can help here.

There is also a SA cyclign forum situated at thehub.co.za try guys from there...

CU

cside said:
Hi Andy

Why you coming back? Everyone seems to be wanting to go there... Anyway I am sure that you will be welcomed back with wide arms, I know there is no where quite like Durban.

Well I have just recenlty started with Bluff Cycling, they are a new club, but would only really appeal to you if you were on or around the Bluff. I know Yellow Wood Park have a team going that seems to be quite active. The two biggies would be ECPPA and Westville. I think the majority of riders are from those two clubs. I have heard that ECPPA is very good, and that they will help you with improving yourself. I am not sure about Westville, I know a few riders from there, and they are very nice people and they are very good riders too. I think it will probably come down to where you will be living.

As for the upper highway area - I am not sure. I have no experience of the area. I will be doing my first race in that area this weekend and I am told that the hills are challenging. As for safety maybe someone else can help here.

There is also a SA cyclign forum situated at thehub.co.za try guys from there...

CU

Are you doing the race from the delcairn centre in Kloof?Thats were I used to live, never had the opportunity to race on my training roads.Im coming back because being oversesas has made me realise just what a fantastic place SA is.I think that if you are an outdoors kind of person then England can be extremely depressing, especially in winter.You can make a lot of money here though!I'd rather trade the money in favour for the opportunity to go surfing after work and cycling on the weekends in dry, sunny warm weather.

Anyway good luck for the weekend, hope you have a good race!

Hi Brett

Another supplier of the Scott range is Jowetts Cycles in PMB number is 033-3941421
Great service received from this outlet. They also stock Giant and Trek range.

Cheers
Ian

bretth said:
Thanks,Grant

Am in Durbs, so if you could let me know the distributor, that would be great.
To be honest, I haven't considered Scott- I guess I just assumed it would be too expensive!

I will be buying in the new year, so still a little time to save!LOL

thanks again,
Brett

I bought the Scott Elite, Alimnium frame, fork, full Tiagra components, the only thing i had to change was the spokes on the rear wheel, i had stronger and longer ones put in. All together it came to under 7000. I find the bike feels strong yet remarkably light and responsive