Best equipment for a beginner?

SkerleeWerg

Feb 20, 2016
I'm going to be picking up a bike again soon, and other than a good lock, I'm wondering if there's anything worthwhile that I should be looking to pick up - mileage trackers, repair tools, etc?

Well, I highly recommend you to prepare a toolbox with all the tools you're going to be use in any case, wrenches, pliers, maybe an air pump just in case any of your tires loses their air, I do no really know too much about your bike but when it comes to wrenches I use the 15mm, 1/2 ", 10mm, universal pliers, of course you will need a helmet, I recommend you "Specialized" and "TREK" as the best brands (for me those are the best ones) you can buy some gloves if you want, it is not mandatory, those are the items I think you should mainly get.

I concur with FenWoFon's advide. Prepare a toolbox, although I think an air pump is mandatory, because with it, you can realize when it's time to replace a wheel's tire (loses air so fast). Also recommend kneecap's protection, this gear will prevent bruises there If you fall onto your knees from the bicycle.

Bike from a descent manufacturer. Trek and Specialized are always by choice even though I'm an advocate of high end Italian bikes. You absolutely must have a "floor pump" because tires lose a lot of pressure overnight. You have to have a flat repair kit that fits in a seat pack. You also have to have a set of applicable wrenches to set your seat height, handlebar tilt and saddle to bar distance. DO NOT think that it being set in the shop means that this will work for you after you start loosening up.

Is this your first foray into cycling?

What do you do now for exercise that you've been doing religiously for at least the last 3 years?

The answer to those questions is pertinent so others can give you sound advice. Assuming that you never did any form of exercise religiously over the last 3 years I would advise to go on Craigslist and find a nice used bike for around $250 to $300 because 78% of all people who start a new exercise program quit about 3 to 6 months after they start, this is why fitness places can overbook their members because they know lots will quit in a short time.

As far as gear goes when you find a low cost bike I would go with the basics here too so if you drop out of the sport later you don't have a lot of gear you'll never use. At the very least you need to know how to fix flats and You Tube has great videos for this sort of thing, so you need a set of tire irons; patch kit; a decent pump like the Topeak Turbo Morph G, it's a little bigger than most pumps but it can serve double duty as a floor pump and frame mount pump and it's easier to pump high PSI into road tires with (you can later buy a traditional mini pump for the bike and then use the Turbo Morph for a floor pump at home); and a mini tool which is useful only if you know how to do basic repairs otherwise skip it for later.

A bike computer is nice to have but it's not necessary in the beginning so I would wait about a year and if you're love to cycle yet then look into getting one.

And really that's all you need to worry about for the first 6 to 12 months.

Reactions: JSESKI
Froze has given you spot-on advice...

I would just like to add to his succinct list:
a good fitting helmet (snug, not at all tight, shouldn't move around on your noggin)(also, doesn't have to be expensive. For starting out, it needs to fit & you need to wear it.)
And a pair of cycling shorts with "the padding" if you intend to actually put some miles/time in the saddle. (they can be worn under other shorts or pants for the more modest cyclist, but the tight fitting Lycra & chamois are designed to reduce/eliminate chaffing & have a little less pressure to the seat bones = better butt endurance.) I know lots of people who start cycling, love it, all except for their rear-end issues, then they quit. Get a decent pair of shorts, so you can really enjoy that bike.