Best Eyewear?

Thunder9

Guest
I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.

Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?

I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.

Regards, Thunder9

Mederic Clain (Cofidis) wore regular glasses in the Tour.

"Thunder9" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
> like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
> didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
> I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
> protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.

I ride a road bike, mostly for pleasure and exercise although I may commute to school in the fall,
provided I can find a safe route (not an easy task in Winnipeg - far too many Cracker Jack
drivers*).

My eyes rate about a -7 diopter, so I definitely need glasses to drive. I find that I can do
without them for cycling, although most of my cycling is in very low traffic areas. When I'm in an
aero position, my glasses are pretty much useless as it's very difficult to crank my head back
enough to see through the lenses - usually I wind up looking overtop the lenses. The other problem
with glasses in an aero position is that I frequently wind up with sweat drops on the inside of
the lenses.

I have polarized sunglasses (prescription) for sunny days. They are great, but with a caveat. If the
sun hits your face from an obtuse angle (way up high or way off to the side), it's really hard to
see through polarized lenses. Wearing a baseball cap helps immensely.

*Cracker Jack Driver - driver who got his driver's licence from a box of Cracker Jack (a candy in
North America).

Thunder9 On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:57:45 GMT wrote,

>I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
>Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
>like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
>didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
>I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
>protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.

I'd agree with your factors, except I wouldn't worry about polarization, and I'd add durability.
I used to wear Oakley M frames, and they were fantastic except for cost and durability. The
frames would slowly develop small cracks that would spread. Had a couple replaced by Oakley
without a hassle from them, but it WAS a hassle to have to pack them up and ship them, and they
all wound up that way.

I like some of the cheapish safety glasses--Lots of the Oakley-style ones are pretty good, and
safety glasses will be UV rated. Cheapest if you buy them in the hardware section. Not replaceable
lenses, but you can buy 3-7 pairs for what one Oakley replacement lens costs.

One of the best features of M frames was how they didn't obstruct my vision when my head was facing
mostly down and I was looking "up" to see forward. I don't ride nearly as aero anymore, so I haven't
evaluated the safety glasses I use now for that.
--
Now Playing: Spirit - I Got A Line On You

"Thunder9" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
> like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
> didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
> I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
> protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.
>
> Regards, Thunder9

Smith Slider series are pretty great. I have the Toaster model. Interchangeable lenses, reasonably
scratch resistent, good field of vision, good optics. And not too outrageously priced - should be
able to find them for < $100 easily.

Best eyewear I ever came across where Killer Loops extremes.

They had interchangeable lenses with a diamond hard coating that made them sheet sweat. I loved them
so much that when they were discontinuing them I bought every clear and tinted lens I could find.

Steve "Thunder9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
> like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
> didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
> I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
> protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.
>
> Regards, Thunder9

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050901040509020801050509 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I like glasses by optic nerve myself, they have the same quality as other quality sport glasses and
are much more friendly to the pocket book

Jeff wrote:

>"Thunder9" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>>
>>Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
>>like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
>>didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>>
>>I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
>>protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.
>>

>I ride a road bike, mostly for pleasure and exercise although I may commute to school in the fall,
>provided I can find a safe route (not an easy task in Winnipeg - far too many Cracker Jack
>drivers*).
>
>My eyes rate about a -7 diopter, so I definitely need glasses to drive. I find that I can do
>without them for cycling, although most of my cycling is in very low traffic areas. When I'm in an
>aero position, my glasses are pretty much useless as it's very difficult to crank my head back
>enough to see through the lenses - usually I wind up looking overtop the lenses. The other problem
>with glasses in an aero position is that I frequently wind up with sweat drops on the inside of
>the lenses.
>
>I have polarized sunglasses (prescription) for sunny days. They are great, but with a caveat. If
>the sun hits your face from an obtuse angle (way up high or way off to the side), it's really hard
>to see through polarized lenses. Wearing a baseball cap helps immensely.
>
>*Cracker Jack Driver - driver who got his driver's licence from a box of Cracker Jack (a candy in
>North America).

--------------050901040509020801050509 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> I like glasses by optic nerve myself, they have the same
quality as other quality sport glasses and are much more friendly to the pocket book<br> <br> Jeff
wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
wrap="">"Thunder9" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</a>...

****. Some people drink enough that they need to pee, and are in too much of a hurry to stop.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

I started out with Bolle. They'd be almost opaque from sweat and dried salt in an hour. Oakley
one-piece M frames with the sweep lens work for me ... somehow they stay clear. I'm sure there are
glasses that are better and cheaper ... if only we could give them a couple hour free test drive
before we buy.

R / John

Ted Bennett wrote:
> Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> They claim it's your answer to a number of things, including: "Unidentified pace-line
>>> excretions"
>
>> Huh? I've never ridden in a pace-line...what are people excreting? Maybe they should have done
>> that _before_ the ride.
>
> ****. Some people drink enough that they need to pee, and are in too much of a hurry to stop.

So they **** their pants intentionally, or pull up the leg of their shorts, or what? That's some
pretty hardcore pacelining!

Dani

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:51:56 -0400 (EDT), Chris Zacho "The Wheelman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mine once "saved" me when a pigeon with impeccable timing passed overhead. THAT is a road snack I
> wouldn't have enjoyed!

That's it. I'm done riding. I no longer want to ride any bike anywhere.

--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:08:42 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > They claim it's your answer to a number of things, including: "Unidentified pace-line
>> > excretions"
>> Huh? I've never ridden in a pace-line...what are people excreting? Maybe they should have done
>> that _before_ the ride.
>
> ****. Some people drink enough that they need to pee, and are in too much of a hurry to stop.

I drink a lot, and pee a lot, but god damn, man... to pee through your shorts all over your bike and
the guys that you know are behind you?

I think I'll stick with solo, noncompetitive riding.

--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] (Thunder9) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
> like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
> didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
> I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
> protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.
>
> Regards, Thunder9

Find out what Lance uses. I am sure they are 'the best' and that the reason he has 5 TdFs
under his belt.

Personally I have never spent more then $20 for a set of glasses, I'm sure thats the reason I can't
do a 5 hr century. I generally don't recommend the many pairs you will find by the side of the road,
but on occation they turn out to be OK.

Originally posted by Zaf
[email protected] (Thunder9) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style recommendations AND the features that you
> like about that brand/style. JUST AS IMPORTANT is any brand/style anti-recommendations AND why you
> didn't like them. In other words, what is important to get/avoid when purchasing eye wear?
>
> I think major factors have something to do with: replacable lenses, grip, sweat, comfort, uv
> protection, polarization, field of vision, cost.
>
> Regards, Thunder9

I wear Native Nano. Best glasses I have ever had. Polarized lenses, light weight, fit very well and never slide no matter how sweaty I get. Best thing was I got them on sale at Nashbar.com for $25. Nashbar doesn't have these anymore, but you can usually get good prices on other Native styles at Nashbar or Performance.

Marty

[email protected] (Thunder9) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>
> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style

Check out the Bollé ® Vigilante's. Performance and Nashbar sell these for about $40 these days and
they come with two different sets of lenses. I bought a second pair since the first pair work so
well. About 90% of the function of the Oakleys without all the broken frames and high cost.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16533

Truely a no brainer in my opinion.

Ed

On 8 Aug 2003 18:41:55 -0700, [email protected] (Ed Ness) wrote:

>[email protected] (Thunder9) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I'm in the market to buy some eyewear for cycling - both road and mtb.
>>
>> Could you give me some advice on partiuclar brand/style
>

>Check out the Bollé ® Vigilante's. Performance and Nashbar sell these for about $40 these days and
>they come with two different sets of lenses. I bought a second pair since the first pair work so
>well. About 90% of the function of the Oakleys without all the broken frames and high cost.
>
>http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16533
>
>Truely a no brainer in my opinion.

But a pair of shades is so subjective in how well they fit. What do you do? Buy a pair just to see
if it works, and then send it back if it doesn't?

Regards, Thunder9

> I wear Native Nano. Best glasses I have ever had. Polarized lenses, light weight, fit very well
> and never slide no matter how sweaty I get.

Polarized lenses can get you into trouble; my last serious crash was caused by not seeing gravel
on the road because the road was twisty enough, and the reflected light at an appropriate angle
such that the lenses caused drastic shifts in transmitted light, so much so that you could barely
see at times.

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

>> I wear Native Nano. Best glasses I have ever had. Polarized lenses, light weight, fit very well
>> and never slide no matter how sweaty I get.

> Polarized lenses can get you into trouble; my last serious crash was caused by not seeing gravel
> on the road because the road was twisty enough, and the reflected light at an appropriate angle
> such that the lenses caused drastic shifts in transmitted light, so much so that you could barely
> see at times.

Ahhh, there are more dangerous effects than what you experienced. Most reflected light from the road
is strongly polarized and of reflected light, that from a wet road is one of the most important
ones. I was given a pair of polarized glasses to try and the first road on which I tried them was
the Giovo mountain pass in south Tirol, just after a morning rain shower... in the woods. By the
time I rounded two hairpin turns I knew I couldn't ride with them because there was no way of
detecting whether the road was wet or dry. The appearance changed between shade and sunlight and the
effects reversed after each 180 hairpin turn.

If you like to descend fast, don't use Polaroid glasses. They block valuable information of the road
surface, even though they may be good for the eyes. I choose not to wear glasses at all, especially
in rain or snow. I have not experienced any of the horrible eye injuries that glasses proponents
describe and I have ridden many miles in most every condition. Following a car on a dirt road is one
case where I would use goggles as the ancients did in the TdF before Greg Lemond introduced Oakley
glasses to the sport. Since I am not racing, I don't follow cars on dirt roads because I don't want
to be a dust bunny at the end of the ride.

http://tinyurl.com/a8zs