Best FD for Campy compact

SJB

Guest
What's the best FD for a Campy compact?

Will a Campy triple work?

Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?

How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?

Thanks

SJB wrote:
> What's the best FD for a Campy compact?

Campagnolo one.

> Will a Campy triple work?

yes, w/o problem

> Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?

Yes, without problem.

> How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?

Thaty too, is fine.

SJB wrote:
> What's the best FD for a Campy compact?
>
> Will a Campy triple work?
>
> Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?
>
> How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?
>
> Thanks

It depends on the difference in the chainrings. I use a Veloce double
front derailleur on a bike with 94mm bcd. Usually run 48-40 rings and
the shifting is just fine. I will eventually put on 48-36 rins and
expect the shifting to be just fine. However, I used 48-30 rings for a
mountain ride and the front shifting was not too good. I had to adjust
the limit screws and twist and turn the front derailleur to get it to
reliably shift. The bends/indentations in the front derailleur do not
hit the chain at the right spot with an 18 tooth difference in rings.
I'll probably buy the Campagnolo specific compact front derailleur next
time I want to use the 48-30 rings in the mountains. I would try a
triple front derailleur if I had one in braze on or 1.375" clamp. I
don't so I'll have to buy a new front and might as well go for the
compact specific front derailleur.

On 7 Nov 2006 09:06:39 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>SJB wrote:
>> What's the best FD for a Campy compact?
>>
>> Will a Campy triple work?
>>
>> Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?
>>
>> How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?
>>
>> Thanks

>It depends on the difference in the chainrings. I use a Veloce double
>front derailleur on a bike with 94mm bcd. Usually run 48-40 rings and
>the shifting is just fine. I will eventually put on 48-36 rins and
>expect the shifting to be just fine. However, I used 48-30 rings for a
>mountain ride and the front shifting was not too good. I had to adjust
>the limit screws and twist and turn the front derailleur to get it to
>reliably shift. The bends/indentations in the front derailleur do not
>hit the chain at the right spot with an 18 tooth difference in rings.
>I'll probably buy the Campagnolo specific compact front derailleur next
>time I want to use the 48-30 rings in the mountains. I would try a
>triple front derailleur if I had one in braze on or 1.375" clamp. I
>don't so I'll have to buy a new front and might as well go for the
>compact specific front derailleur.

I can't speak for Campy, but for Shimano this is true as well. The
difference is between "works" and "works well." Derailleurs designed
for double (can't speak for triple) can move the chain up the 16 jump
from 34 to 50 even though they are designed for only a 14 tooth jump.
But the ones designed for compact work better IME.

On 7 Nov 2006 05:02:05 -0800, "SJB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What's the best FD for a Campy compact?
>
>Will a Campy triple work?
>
>Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?
>
>How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?

All the above will work. The best is likely an 8sp Dura Ace front
derailleur.

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:26:56 -0500, Doug Taylor
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I can't speak for Campy, but for Shimano this is true as well. The
>difference is between "works" and "works well." Derailleurs designed
>for double (can't speak for triple) can move the chain up the 16 jump
>from 34 to 50 even though they are designed for only a 14 tooth jump.
>But the ones designed for compact work better IME.

In my limited experience, a Campy regular 10 sp worked better with FSA
rings than the Campy CT. Both worked better than an IRD Compact FD.

Doug Taylor wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2006 09:06:39 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >SJB wrote:
> >> What's the best FD for a Campy compact?
> >>
> >> Will a Campy triple work?
> >>
> >> Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?
> >>
> >> How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >It depends on the difference in the chainrings. I use a Veloce double
> >front derailleur on a bike with 94mm bcd. Usually run 48-40 rings and
> >the shifting is just fine. I will eventually put on 48-36 rins and
> >expect the shifting to be just fine. However, I used 48-30 rings for a
> >mountain ride and the front shifting was not too good. I had to adjust
> >the limit screws and twist and turn the front derailleur to get it to
> >reliably shift. The bends/indentations in the front derailleur do not
> >hit the chain at the right spot with an 18 tooth difference in rings.
> >I'll probably buy the Campagnolo specific compact front derailleur next
> >time I want to use the 48-30 rings in the mountains. I would try a
> >triple front derailleur if I had one in braze on or 1.375" clamp. I
> >don't so I'll have to buy a new front and might as well go for the
> >compact specific front derailleur.

> I can't speak for Campy, but for Shimano this is true as well. The
> difference is between "works" and "works well." Derailleurs designed
> for double (can't speak for triple) can move the chain up the 16 jump
> from 34 to 50 even though they are designed for only a 14 tooth jump.
> But the ones designed for compact work better IME.

Upon rereading my post I should probably rephrase these sentences.

> >However, I used 48-30 rings for a
> >mountain ride and the front shifting was not too good. I had to adjust
> >the limit screws and twist and turn the front derailleur to get it to
> >reliably shift.

The last sentence should end with "...to get it to usually reliably
shift most of the time."

Doug Taylor wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2006 09:06:39 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >SJB wrote:
> >> What's the best FD for a Campy compact?
> >>
> >> Will a Campy triple work?
> >>
> >> Will a Campy triple shift a 53-39 double acceptably?
> >>
> >> How about a Campy double FD for use on a compact crank?
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >It depends on the difference in the chainrings. I use a Veloce double
> >front derailleur on a bike with 94mm bcd. Usually run 48-40 rings and
> >the shifting is just fine. I will eventually put on 48-36 rins and
> >expect the shifting to be just fine. However, I used 48-30 rings for a
> >mountain ride and the front shifting was not too good. I had to adjust
> >the limit screws and twist and turn the front derailleur to get it to
> >reliably shift. The bends/indentations in the front derailleur do not
> >hit the chain at the right spot with an 18 tooth difference in rings.
> >I'll probably buy the Campagnolo specific compact front derailleur next
> >time I want to use the 48-30 rings in the mountains. I would try a
> >triple front derailleur if I had one in braze on or 1.375" clamp. I
> >don't so I'll have to buy a new front and might as well go for the
> >compact specific front derailleur.

> I can't speak for Campy, but for Shimano this is true as well. The
> difference is between "works" and "works well." Derailleurs designed
> for double (can't speak for triple) can move the chain up the 16 jump
> from 34 to 50 even though they are designed for only a 14 tooth jump.
> But the ones designed for compact work better IME.

WELL, actually, shimano, when they started making the 50/34 compact,
they 'magically' deemed the double FD compatible with compact
also(which it is and works better than any of the aftermarket CT FDs,
IMO)..so OBE, shimnano FDs, have a 16t capacity.

On 7 Nov 2006 17:55:11 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>WELL, actually, shimano, when they started making the 50/34 compact,
>they 'magically' deemed the double FD compatible with compact
>also(which it is and works better than any of the aftermarket CT FDs,
>IMO)..so OBE, shimnano FDs, have a 16t capacity.

I can only argue from experience. I've used the following combos with
my compact set up:

Ultegra 10 speed shifter / Ultegra double derailleur
Ultegra 10 speed shifter / Dura Ace double derailleur
Dura Ace 10 speed shifter/ Ultegra double derailleur
Dura Ace 10 speed shifter/ Dura Ace double derailleur
Ultegra 10 speed shifter / FSA compact derailleur
Dura Ace 10 speed shifter / FSA compact derailleur

The latter hands down works faster, cleaner, and better than any of
the rest.

The Dura Ace / Dura Ace is not bad, but not as good as the above.

The Ultegra / FSA is acceptable.

All the rest suck comparatively: slow, sluggish, hesitant up
shifting.

Could be the mechanic (me). But if I'm spending money on new
equipment, the FSA is cheaper than the Dura Ace and works as well or
better depending on the shifter.