best flat solution?

grandpixel

Jul 18, 2013
I have a friend who just started riding for transportation, and it wasn't long before he got a flat. Neither of us have ridden in almost 20 years, and back then we used solid tubes. Well, I figure things may have changed, so time for a bit of research. Are solid tubes still the best solution to prevent flats? Thanks for your input!

Um, I guess so? They were a hard plastic I think, don't remember really. Will have to ask my father on that one. But regardless, what do most bikers today use to prevent flats?

You can select a wheel tire that has some protection against flats. I am currently using a pair of specialized espoir 700x25. I have done 2500km on them with zero flats. Not even one. Both the times I needed to change tubes were because the valves of the tubes got detached from the tubes. There are probably even more flat - resisting tires and much lighter, faster etc ones too.

"what do most bikers today use to prevent flats?"

Use heavy, thick tread touring/commuting tires.
Use heavy, thick thorn resistant tubes.
Watch where they are going.

Some riders use Stan's or Slime sealant inside the tube.

Solid AKA airless AKA airfree tires are still the thing to use if you absolutely can't / won't consider fixing a flat, and they're still available.
There's considerably more people around who have opinions about them than there are people who have actually ridden them.
These days they're available in different hardnesses to mimic different tire pressures.

I've used them extensively, and I'm reasonably pleased with them.
They don't ride exactly like pneumatic tires, but the overall conclusion I think should be that they're different rather than bad. The hardnesses I've used do give the bike a rattle on uneven surfaces, but OTOH you can cruise in blissful nonchalance over a sea of shattered glass.
Why I haven't gone over to solid tires entirely is:
- there's a limited number of combinations between tread pattern and which rims they'll fit.
- knowing what to expect in feel and handling from a certain hardness is difficult, and you only get one shot per tire
- The hardness changes with temperature, which isn't that nice for a year-round bike.

What most people to is to accept the occasional flat, carry repair equipment, a phone, and/or fare money. Then, depending on riding conditions and degree of concern, you add thick tires, thick tubes, flat protection strips, and sealant in the tubes.

Thanks all. Dabac, you mention solid tires, any thoughts on solid tires vs solid tubes? I am looking at something like: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-SOLID-Tube-NoMorFlat-1-75-1-95/dp/B000BOCA44/

Well my friend had to replace his bike because his brakes went out already. He replaced it with an Upland Stinger (probably not important), but we were thinking to get thicker tires and tubes + inserts, instead of solid tires. Only problem is, he said the tires on the bike are 2.35" width. When searching amazon for bike tires, I am not finding tires this wide. Is that width uncommon? It is a mountain bike, so maybe I am looking at the wrong type of tires.

Will a narrower tire fit on his bike? Maybe we need to replace the wheels also?

Why would anyone replace a bike because the brakes went "out"? Brakes are easily servicable and replaceable.

The Stinger looks like a typical big box budget mountain bike. The original tires should be very flat resistant already when compared to a road bike tire. I cannot recall ever getting a flat riding my MTB with cheap tires over the road.

You can always put a narrower tire on if you wish; for road commuting a city tire or slick would make pedaling easier. I would personally avoid solid "tubes" unless I did not ride often, very far, or the roads were pincushions.

Just use good quality tires and make sure they are pumped up to a high enough pressure to avoid pinch flats. Also don't ride through glass and go around potholes
tongue.png