Best Floor Pump

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Best Floor Pump? Mine is dead. Just searched and last good thread was from '05 so new ones may have emerged since then. What is the floor pump of choice in 09?

IMO, the German made SKS Kompressor (model TP-11) is the best floor pump out there. It has a durable steel barrel, heavy duty pressure gauge, leather washer, long wooden handle and foldable feet. It can inflate to 230psi and comes with both a Schraeder and Presta chuck. It's a very well designed and built floor pump. You can also disassemble and rebuild it for servicing. This floor pump is also sold as the Zefal Husky, same pump with a different decal on the side. Many cycling teams use this pump for good reason. I've had my SKS since the early 90's without a problem. You can find this floor pump for about $75-80 USD. Another good alternative is the Italian made Silca Pista.

One vote for the Silca track pump.

I'm still using one I bought from Nashbar back in the 1970's.

CAMPYBOB said:

+1 Replace the hose and gaskets every once in a while and you're good to go. I've found the Topeak hose/head to be the ideal combination with my Silca Pista.

Dave

Meek One said:
Best Floor Pump? Mine is dead. Just searched and last good thread was from '05 so new ones may have emerged since then. What is the floor pump of choice in 09?
As already noted, MOST of your pump's 'parts' can be replaced ... the hose & washer (which is at the end of the plunger) are probably the most vulnerable to wear and ARE replaceable with equivalents -- i.e., almost any hose (go to your "hardware" store with a piece of your current pump's hose IF you are sure it is leaking) will probably fit AND/OR you can cut/make a new washer from a piece (about a "quarter"-sized scrap?) of ~3/64" thick leather.

If there is a problem with the pump's head, then buy a SILCA pump head (< $10) from your LBS or COLORADO CYCLIST, et al.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those pumps that has a head with two holes, one for presta and one for schrader. Every one I have used eventually has two problems. 1) If a presta tube has much resistance to air being forced in, all the pump's air goes uselessly out of the schrader hole. 2) The head eventually starts leaking, so the pressure gauge falls quickly after the pump stroke and an accurate reading of the pressure cannot be made; it is then easy to put too much air into a tire.

There must be a chinese or taiwanese company OEMing these pumps because I see the same crappy design being sold by numerous brands, everything from Wrench Force to Pedros.

My new criteria for pump purchase is this: If it supports schrader I don't want it because it is obviously not made for serious use.

Rant over.

End of line.

Yeah I agree with Bro Deal...except...if you find a reasonably strong one, that's cheap, with single head, that supports Schrader...buy one of those brass adapters which screw onto your presta valve and convert it to Scrader... I got one a few years ago and it goes up to about 130psi, admittedly the final 20psi is a monumental struggle but I'm into saving $$$$ so dont wanna pay big bucks for a Silca :eek:

i have two silcas, black for home and orange for away.
have replaced leather and rubber seals, cannot be beat imho.

CAMPYBOB said:

Aussie Steve said:
Yeah I agree with Bro Deal...except...if you find a reasonably strong one, that's cheap, with single head, that supports Schrader...buy one of those brass adapters which screw onto your presta valve and convert it to Scrader... I got one a few years ago and it goes up to about 130psi, admittedly the final 20psi is a monumental struggle but I'm into saving $$$$ so dont wanna pay big bucks for a Silca :eek:
Silca's are big bucks these days? I have one gathering dust somewhere. I remember it being pretty cheap. I never liked the screw on head because I would always lose air when taking it off the valve. I guess I should give it another chance. It is built like a brick shithouse compared to these pumps that use lots of cheap plastic. Worse case it could be used as a club to fend off burglers.

Bro Deal said:
Silcas............ I never liked the screw on head because I would always lose air when taking it off the valve. I guess I should give it another chance.
Nah, they're good, but they need a bit of thumb 'effort' to push the nozzle off. The trick is to leave to screw-on top kinda loose when the rubber is new, then gradually tighten it as it wears. It's also handy to to use tubes with a threadless valve stem. Some guys reckon spitting on the rubber is a good trick :p

I also have to tout the cheap Jo Blow from Topeak. I did replace the cheap plastic head with a replacement that was metal, but other than that, it has been great for me for four years now. It pumps up to 120 PSI and the highest max tire pressure of any of my tires is 110 PSI. I rarely ride with anymore than 100 PSI so it works well for me.

I think this toppeak joeblow sprint floor bike is great. My floor pump is that pump. It works well for me. 160 PSI, Hardened Steel base, Satin Aluminum Barrel. These features are cool. And the price is reasonable. you can vist: http://floorpumps.info/topeak-joeblow-sprint-floor-bike-pump-reviews/

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I also have to tout the cheap Jo Blow from Topeak. I did replace the cheap plastic head with a replacement that was metal, but other than that, it has been great for me for four years now. It pumps up to 120 PSI and the highest max tire pressure of any of my tires is 110 PSI. I rarely ride with anymore than 100 PSI so it works well for me.
I know this is an old post but evidently Topeak hasnt reticfied their problems with their heads yet. I purchased a Jo Blow Sport II last November and it needed a replacement head right out of the blocks. I would have to admit that the customer service was vey good and they replaced it quite fast.

Let's put 3 more years on my Silca Pista.

No replaced parts. Original head with original seal. Original hose. Original cup.

But once. Cry once.

I've got ~15 months into a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump with no problems. This includes two 7-day tours, a weekend ride and a century, all of those out-of town--meaning the pump got thrown in a van and probably banged around the whole time. For $40, it's worked well. Normally, I would agree with CampyBob's philosophy of, "buy once, cry once", but this particular time, I needed a pump and not the grief from the wife because of what I had already spent on a new bike.

Have the JB II as well for over a year. LBS had many pumps (more and less $) but suggested JB for solid rebuildable pump. Never liked the twin head so replaced it with the smart head / longer hose kit the first week. Has worked perfectly since. If doing again I would buy the JB Pro with smart head included.