Best freestyle uni?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mornish, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. mornish

    mornish Guest

    Hey, I was wondering wat the best freestyle uni is. The koxx free tricks
    looks really good, but I was wondering if there are better?

    Miles

    --
    mornish

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  2. dye3

    dye3 Guest

  3. mornish

    mornish Guest

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    Mine is the best. Why? Because it's mine. :p

    Here are the specs:
    chrome Nimbus X long neck frame
    Torker LX seat with a green Miyata cover to replace the original ripped
    one
    Torker stock seatpost
    Torker stock seat clamp
    UDC hub laced with 48 spokes to double walled alloy rim
    green Primo The Wall 2.1x20 tire
    125mm cranks
    plastic "bmx style" pedals

    --
    phlegm
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  5. mornish

    mornish Guest

    that sounds like a nice uni. could u post a pic? but has anyone tried
    the Koxx freestyle?

    |Filename: Free-Tricks-light.jpg |

    mornish

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  6. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Haven't ridden one but the crown on the koxx looks uncomfortable for
    stand up tricks. The sem long neck frame looks the best, the crown is
    flat and has little tire clearance (its a good thing).

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    MR 'Reply 60,000' (http://tinyurl.com/qbhsa) 'Page 4000'
    (http://tinyurl.com/lyfj4)

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
    > just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
    > and eat it...mmmmmm

  7. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

  8. Lutz

    Lutz Guest

    I think to that the frame is very bad for freestyle tricks. But at the
    GMTW Yoggi had a new K1 freestyle prototype, which looks realy cool. I
    think you can buy it in a few month.

    --
    Lutz

    Sponsors: 'POINT RACING TEAM' (http://www.pointbike.de) 'AJATA'
    (http://www.ajata.de)
    Me: 'www.einradshows.de' (http://www.einradshows.de)
    'www.extremeunicycling.de' (http://www.extremeunicycling.de)
    Lutz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1752

  9. jake_amos

    jake_amos Guest

  10. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    i havent had much experience with freestyle unis but i rode julian
    monney's koxx freestyle at UNInats last year and it was nicer than my
    sister's numbus x. I liked the crown on julian's uni but i think it was
    different to the current koxx frames. it may have been a proto or
    something.

    Cheers,
    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    NO I WILL NOT DO A [email protected]#!ING BACKFLIP
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

  12. borsti

    borsti Guest

  13. mornish

    mornish Guest

  14. mornish

    mornish Guest

    wait didn't work lol

    |Filename: mono_pinklady_300-light.jpg |

    mornish

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  15. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Surely there is some degree of personal preference in what makes a
    "good" Freestyle uni. For me, one of the requirements has to be
    strength over weight. In other words, I'd rather have a heavy cycle
    that won't break than a light, weak one. This matters in direct
    proportion to how far you travel to perform on it, especially if
    there's a paycheck involved.

    My Wyganowski 20" with custom-length frame and 48-spoke wheel is great
    for me. I actually find the tire/frame clearance to be a little too
    tight. That's because I learned a lot of my stuff on a 20" wheel with a
    24" frame. That's how Miyata made them back in the 80s.

    Here are a few criteria I find important in a high-end Freestyle uni:
    - Very strong wheel, so it can take the side forces of various tricks
    - Generally strong; the ability to take a lot of punishment
    - Pedals that won't be unfriendly to floors
    - No clamps in mid-frame (I'm amazed I don't have scars from my old
    Miyatas)
    - No handle on the seat
    - Flat fork crown (see below)

    I left out the specifics on the fork crown, because different people
    like different things. Wider is generally better, but can get in the
    way for other things. Sloped is generally worser, especially for
    stand-up skills. A texture or other form of traction is always a plus.

    Based on all of that, those Koxxes look pretty good, though I haven't
    seen one up close. Also of Julien Monney actually uses one, that's a
    pretty good endorsement as well! The DM he used to (or still does) use
    was not the standard frame. His was horizontal across the top, with
    square corners.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  16. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  17. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    phlegm wrote:
    > What is the advantage of not having a handle?

    Not having it be in the way for unispins & things.

    Like other things, this is personal preference. I find that for
    Freestyle, a seat handle gets in the way more than it helps. But if
    your riding style is different you might consider it either not a
    problem, or even essential! Part of my point of view is based on
    learning most of my Freestyle before seat handles came along. We just
    had the front bumper, which could still be used as a handle, but
    nothing sticking out.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  18. The Bruiser

    The Bruiser Guest

  19. gossi

    gossi Guest

    I would say the Nimbus II frame style sucks pretty much for Freestyle,
    especially on stand-up tricks. Therefor you have to place your feet on
    the frame and you have to have a comfortable stand. Another reason
    against such frames is to place your feet near the neck of the frame,
    because the control of the uni is much better if at least one foot has
    contact with the neck. So, the Nimbus II frames are uneven and that
    makes it much more difficult for stand-up tricks. People with chucks,
    and i'm using chucks for freestyle as well, have more problems on this
    underground. But with chucks you have the best control of your
    unicycle.
    Another reason for a good freestyle uni is a longneck frame. Anyway the
    seatclamp will be in the way when doing drag seat and pick up the seat.
    Also suitable is a frame with less distance between tyre and frame,
    because the foot can stand on the frame more relaxed on stand-up
    tricks, anyway it would hurt the ankle sometime.

    What about the seat handle. I'm riding on a Vitelli seat and have no
    problems with the handle in front. Some riders in our club have
    problems with the handle and cut it off. This setup is very subjective
    and everybody has to find it out on his own.

    So, Freestyle is all about elegance and relaxed easy-looking riding,
    like ice-skating crank size is very important on that topic. But also
    very subjective. I'm riding 102mm cranks on my freestyle, but in the
    opinion of other freestylers, this length counts to the longer crank
    size. Japanese riders ride with really short cranks (80?). Well, great
    japanese freestyle videos are available at www.unicycle.tv check it out
    to see freestyle in perfection.

    What else, enough i've said ;)

    Ride On