Best Gps?

JunkyPenguin

Feb 20, 2015
I've recently obtained a bike computer made by the company "Cat" which counts MPH, heart rate, and keeps track of the time. I thought this was all I need, but recently I've been doing more commuting. I'd like some sugguestions on affordable bike GPS's which work fine for purely GPS purposes. I will be keeping my computer, so there is no need for it to do anything else. What do you reccomend? Tell me below!

The Garmin 500 is probably the best bargain in the Garmin lineup. They off less expensive models, but the 500 is a good balance of cost and features.

The Cateye Stealth 50 is a decent GPS computer, but for the money, features and ease of use the Garmin kicks its butt in every category.

I use the newer Garmin 510, but frankly the 500 is 95% as good for a lot less money.

What kind of data are you after from the GPS unit?

If you have a GPS (not A-GPS!) Android or Windows phone (noticed how I "accidentally" skipped mentioning Mac OS? :p) you can download some applications like "Strava", "Edmondo", "MapMyRide", "Google Tracks" etc.

These record the ride and some also have bluetooth connectivity with Power Meters and Heart Rate straps.

If you just need GPS route instructions, a Windows or Android phone (noticed how "elegantly" skipped mentioning Apple? :p) you can just set up the destination in the Maps application of your phone and get instructions from a Hands Free unit.

"
Mapple Salesperson: The lightest, most desirable computer in the world, for the next three weeks - the Mapple Void.

Homer: I'll take it, provided you charge me for services that Google offers for free.

Mapple Salesperson: We already have!

Homer: Sweet.
"

:p :D

I would, in fact I am, look into a Garmin Etrex, go to the Garmin site and compare the different Etrex's and see which one fits your needs the best, the one I like is the Etrex 30 because a lot of touring people use these same units and I can wirelessly download others waypoints etc from theirs. Buy Garmin makes less expensive versions so just check them out. They have a long battery life, use AA rechargeable bats so you can get them anywhere should they fail down the road, compatible with maps from Adventure Cycling, compass, barometer altimeter, accepts micro data cards, just read about them.

If you're after a GPS to do turn-by-turn navigation on a course that has a loop in it or even just crosses paths at some point the Garmin 810 sucks donkey balls. It's nice to know on a 400km ride that the first 320km were navigated using the "breadcrumbs" on the map screen and my "distance to finish" and "distance to next turn" kept increasing until the 300km point.

I don't know if the Garmin 1000 is any better but give my experience with this product and a previous Garmin car GPS, that company can get fcuked.

If you want GPS tracking for your rides, the cheapest and most convenient way is to buy a low end android phone and use either Strava, Endomondo, MyTracks or any number of other applications.

They practically give away small prepaid phones ($10 to $40) that are more than powerful enough for the task. Just turn on airplane mode and use Wifi to upload the data. Some models are also waterproof which is helpful.