Best Gym exercises for upper body...

RE/
>Fine, but you did not get a huge back from paddling. It came from something else, possibly
>genetics.

I doubt it.

The back size went away when I quit surfing.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Wayne) wrote:
>
> "Without question it's the bench press, supplemented with its poor cousins the incline and decline
> bench press. All of which can also be done with dumbbells. That's six exercises that will
> guarantee man-boobs when you get old and flabby."

Don't have to be old, plently of young fat slobs out there.

BTW muscle does not turn into flab, flab is fat, muscle is muscle.

Hawke

"Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Turbo Fahel" wrote in message
> > > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training
and
> > > joined a club, my chest size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
> > >
> > > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
> > >

> One-pint curls.
>
> High reps recommended.
>
> -Chris Mitchell

Actually, one-quart curls with moderate reps build mass faster.

Pete

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > >Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of
> > >the pec muscles.
> >
> > I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.
>

> You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not
size.

> > The stroke for knee-paddling a surfboard has very little resistance to
it,
> but
> > after two years of surfing I had a back like Arnold Schwartzenegger's.
> Neck
> > like a pencil and legs like pipe cleaners...but a huge back...
> > -----------------------
> > PeteCresswell
>
> Fine, but you did not get a huge back from paddling. It came from
something
> else, possibly genetics.

I did some treatment on a surfer a couple months ago. For someone who didn't go to the gym often,
his back was quite developed.

Jay

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > >Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of
> > >the pec muscles.
> >
> > I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.
>

> You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not size.

Have you ever looked at a body-builder's workout routine? They involve high repetitions; much higher
than a weight-lifter's, who train for strength, not size.

it's morning".

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > RE/
> > >
> > > I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.
> >

> > You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not
size.

> Have you ever looked at a body-builder's workout routine? They involve high repetitions; much
> higher than a weight-lifter's, who train for strength, not size.

What do you consider high reps?

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> not

> > > You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not
> size.
> >
> > Have you ever looked at a body-builder's workout routine? They involve high repetitions; much
> > higher than a weight-lifter's, who train for strength, not size.
> >

> What do you consider high reps?

I used to be a bodybuilder, and I lifted as heavy as I could. Now, I'm more into biking, so I've
upped the reps and dropped the weight.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

On Mon, 19 May 2003 08:29:10 -0400, "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What do you consider high reps?

FWIW, and not wishing to butt in, 30+ per set is high reps as far as I'm concerned.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> RE/
> >Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
> >pec muscles.
>
> I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.

Not quite. The key to hypertrophy is full-to-complete overloading of as many muscle filaments as
possible combined with enough recovery time for repairing and rebuilding the filaments. That's why
high-resistance, low-repetition exercise builds muscle mass. Low-resistance, high-rep exercise
utilize only a fraction of available muscle fibers with little overload, but it does tend to tax the
energy delivery systems (i.e., mitochondria and capillaries) which helps develop endurance. However,
they won't develop as much bulk.

Marathon runners and "spin" cyclists tend to have sinewy but slender legs relative to sprinters and
"hammer" cyclists. I can do over a hundred pushups easily but my pecs aren't really that bulky,
compared to when I was doing higher-weight dumbbell flyes.

Quick explosive movements also utilize entire masses of muscle fiber, but the resistance is low, so
unless you do lots of _intense_ reps, you won't overload muscle as effectively as plain old
high-resistance exercise. That's probably why a lot of boxers have well-developed wings even though
there's little resistance in pulling the arm back from a punch.

> The stroke for knee-paddling a surfboard has very little resistance to it, but after two years of
> surfing I had a back like Arnold Schwartzenegger's. Neck like a pencil and legs like pipe
> cleaners...but a huge back...

True, surfers and swimmers tend to have good backs. But keep in mind that arm circles from paddling
and strokes utilize the trapezius, teres, rhomboids and other smaller secondary back muscles that
bulk up in addition to latissimus dorsi.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An

> not

> > > You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not
> size.
> >
> > Have you ever looked at a body-builder's workout routine? They involve high repetitions; much
> > higher than a weight-lifter's, who train for strength, not size.
> >

> What do you consider high reps?

Three or more sets of 15 or more. I know somebody who did body-building, and he did 5 sets of 20 for
most of his exercises.

it's morning".

RE/
>What do you consider high reps?

When I was surfing, I'd say somewhere up in the thousands per 'workout'.

Paddle a mile or more out to the reef, catch a wave, paddle back out pushing through a set or two,
sit there in the lineup thinking your arms are totally dead and there's no way in the world you
could possibly take a single stroke...then somebody yells "Outsiiiide", you see this thing that
looks roughly the size of a 40-story building coming towards you...and your arms just start
paddling....way, way, way beyond what you ever imagined total muscle failure was....

You do that repeatedly for 3-4 hours, then you paddle the mile or more back to shore...

I never had any muscles before surfing and as soon as I stopped, I didn't have muscles anymore...but
while I was surfing, the muscles involved in paddling got *really* big.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> > not

> > size.
> > >
> > > Have you ever looked at a body-builder's workout routine? They
involve
> > > high repetitions; much higher than a weight-lifter's, who train for strength, not size.
> > >

> > What do you consider high reps?
>
> Three or more sets of 15 or more. I know somebody who did body-building, and he did 5 sets of 20
> for most of his exercises.

.....and he certainly didn't gain much mass.

Pete

Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
says...

> will
> > > not

> not
> > > size.

> involve
> > > >

> > > What do you consider high reps?
> >
> > Three or more sets of 15 or more. I know somebody who did
body-building,
> > and he did 5 sets of 20 for most of his exercises.
>
> .....and he certainly didn't gain much mass.
>
> Pete

I know this guy, when he was a boy, his dad and uncle were masons, laying bricks, concrete blocks
and stone. During the summer school vacation (this was no vacation for him) for spending money he
would carry the above plus mortor. His arms, upper body and lower body got to be fairly great in
size and strength. Making the football team was no problem for him. I'll agree that being a mason
helper is not the ideal way to become a body builder or weight lifter but I'll garentee you that
will build your body and give you the strength to carry very heavy loads. I don't understand why you
find that so impossible.

Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
says...

> will
> > > not

> not
> > > size.

> involve
> > > >

> > > What do you consider high reps?
> >
> > Three or more sets of 15 or more. I know somebody who did
body-building,
> > and he did 5 sets of 20 for most of his exercises.
>
> .....and he certainly didn't gain much mass.
>
> Pete

What kind of equipment did Samson use? Enquiring minds want to know!

http://www.samsonequipment.com/

Mike wrote:

> What kind of equipment did Samson use? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jawbone of an ass. Wrecked the fitness gym with overload training. Suffered extreme loss of form
after haircuts. Do not emulate. STF

"Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
>
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel
IMHO, the two best exercises you can do are pull-ups (for back, biceps, and forearms) and dips
(for chest, shoulders and triceps). i don't think the rep count is as important as using proper
form. use a controlled movement with no bouncing or cheating. you don't need a lot of sets,
either. one or two worked hard will do wonders. the other thing i like to do is hyperextensions
for low back and crunches for abs. both these muscle groups are important for your overall health
and bicycling. smokey