Best Gym exercises for upper body...

Turbo Fahel

Guest
I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.

What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???

Any good web sites would also be appreciated...

--
Regards, Turbo Fahel

---

"Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
>
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel
>

> ---

Turbo, You don't need a gym for these sorry, but I've found regular daily push-ups and chin-ups
(with hands curled around bar away from body rather than towards (?!!?), going to full extensions,
work just fine. Swimming is also very good but you have to work hard at it and not just float on the
surface having a chat with someone. cheers, Dave.

"Turbo Fahel" wrote...
> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???

Seems as if your body is responding naturally to the demands you are placing upon it. Why spend time
adding bulk that will add nothing to your cycling and may, in fact, detract from it. Use the time to
improve your performance in and enjoyment from cycling, not for cosmetic enhancement.

If you really must add muscle, decide if it's your chest ('pecs'), your sides ('lats') or your upper
back you want to build up. Then, remember that you need to build up the counter-muscles so you don't
become unbalanced in your development and so injure yourself.

For the pecs, push ups with the hands wider than shoulder width apart is the simplest way to go.
When you can do 20, don't increase the reps; push the hands further out or get someone to sit on
your shoulders. Work hard!

For the upper back and lats: chin-ups. Again, don't do more than 20; when you get to 20 vary the
distance between your hands or hold a dumbbell between your feet (wrapped in a towel to make it
easier to hold). I hang 40kg from a waist belt and do three to five reps. The ultimate is the
one-armed chin-up. I've never done one, but have seen plenty. Work hard!

Eat protein within an hour of weights work, not carbs, not sports drinks. I know this is contrary
to what the marketers of post work-out carb meals and drinks tell us - but then, they would,
wouldn't they!

Better, though, to ignore my exercise advice and focus on enhancing your cycling, possibly by some
weights work. Even better by some stretching to counter the narrow specialization induced by the
repetition of cycling - which may lead to injury.

Keith

.

> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???

Without question it's the bench press, supplemented with its poor cousins the incline and decline
bench press. All of which can also be done with dumbells. That's six exercises that will guarantee
man-boobs when you get old and flabby.

"Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
>
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel

In addition to exercise you also need to eat more. http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html

Which part of the upper body are you referring to? The majority of a human's musculature is above
the waist.

> "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> > size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
> >
> > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
> >
> > Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
> >
> > --
> > Regards, Turbo Fahel
> >

> > ---
> >

> Turbo, You don't need a gym for these sorry, but I've found regular daily
push-ups

Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
pec muscles.

> and chin-ups (with hands curled around bar away from body rather than towards (?!!?), going to
> full extensions, work just fine.

Chin-ups have a miniscule effect on the chest. They are primarily a back exercise which
work the lats.

"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Turbo Fahel" wrote...
> > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> > size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
> >
> > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Seems as if your body is responding naturally to the demands you are placing upon it. Why spend
> time adding bulk that will add nothing to your cycling and may, in fact, detract from it.

Because there's more to life (and fitness) then cycling.

>Use the time to improve your performance in and enjoyment from cycling, not for cosmetic
>enhancement.

What's wrong with a little pride in how we look.?

"Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> .
> >
> > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
> >
> Without question it's the bench press, supplemented with its poor cousins the incline and decline
> bench press. All of which can also be done with dumbells. That's six exercises that will guarantee
> man-boobs when you get old and flabby.

Man-boobs are not caused by weight training or getting old. They are caused by excess
caloric intake.

On Sat, 17 May 2003 10:00:23 -0400, "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Turbo Fahel" wrote...
>> > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my
>> > chest size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>> >
>> > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>>
>> Seems as if your body is responding naturally to the demands you are placing upon it. Why spend
>> time adding bulk that will add nothing to your cycling and may, in fact, detract from it.
>
>Because there's more to life (and fitness) then cycling.

No! You must be fast, yet to have to call the neighbors to pick up a 50lb rock out of your yard.

--

Scott Johnson "be a man ,stop looking for handouts , eat ,lift and shut your mouth" -John Carlo

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training
and
> > > joined a club, my chest size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
> > >
> > > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
> > >
> > > Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards, Turbo Fahel
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> > Turbo, You don't need a gym for these sorry, but I've found regular daily
> push-ups
>

> Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
> pec muscles.
>

> > and chin-ups (with hands curled around bar away from body rather than towards (?!!?), going to
> > full extensions, work just fine.
>
> Chin-ups have a miniscule effect on the chest. They are primarily a back exercise which work
> the lats.

hhmmm. my wife seems quite happy with the results ;-) and there's the swimming of course. I think
the whole package helps with a nicely rounded presentation ;-) Dave.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> and

> > > Turbo, You don't need a gym for these sorry, but I've found regular daily
> > push-ups
> >

> > Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
> > pec muscles.
> >

> > > and chin-ups (with hands curled around bar away from body rather than towards (?!!?), going to
> > > full extensions, work just fine.
> >
> > Chin-ups have a miniscule effect on the chest. They are primarily a back exercise which work
> > the lats.
> >
> hhmmm. my wife seems quite happy with the results ;-) and there's the swimming of course. I think
> the whole package helps with a nicely rounded presentation ;-) Dave.

A wise sage once said marriage is no place for truthfulness. ;-)

> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Any good web sites would also be appreciated...

No web sites needed: bench presses and lat pulls are the major ones which will build chest size.

To specifically build mass in the pecs do dumbbell flys.There's also the inclined version to
increase the upper pecs. Any weight lifting site will give clear illustrations to show you how to do
them properly.

"Turbo Fahel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
>
> What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???
>
> Any good web sites would also be appreciated...
>
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel
>

> ---

> "Turbo Fahel" wrote in message
> > I have found that since I have increases my level of indoor training and joined a club, my chest
> > size has reduced, I presume from losing weight.
> >
> > What are the best upper body gym exercises to do to reverse this???

One-pint curls.

High reps recommended.

-Chris Mitchell

[email protected] (Wayne) wrote:

"Without question it's the bench press, supplemented with its poor cousins the incline and decline
bench press. All of which can also be done with dumbbells. That's six exercises that will guarantee
man-boobs when you get old and flabby."

Well, I don't know what the importance of having "man boobs" is, but you might want to supplement
that pec work with some crunches.

I've gotten some pretty good pec development just from doing a lot of climbing (pulling up on the
bars). but there is damn little you can do on a bicycle (riding,, I mean ;-3) ) that will work the
abdominals effectively.

RE/
>Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
>pec muscles.

I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.

The stroke for knee-paddling a surfboard has very little resistance to it, but after two years of
surfing I had a back like Arnold Schwartzenegger's. Neck like a pencil and legs like pipe
cleaners...but a huge back...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of the
> >pec muscles.
>
> I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.

You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not size.

> The stroke for knee-paddling a surfboard has very little resistance to it,
but
> after two years of surfing I had a back like Arnold Schwartzenegger's.
Neck
> like a pencil and legs like pipe cleaners...but a huge back...
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

Fine, but you did not get a huge back from paddling. It came from something else, possibly genetics.

Bob Garrison <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > >Unless you regularly somehow add weight to doing push-ups they will not increase the size of
> > >the pec muscles.
> >
> > I'll bet they will if somebody ups the reps enough.
>

> You would lose the bet. With high reps they will develop endurance not
size.

> > The stroke for knee-paddling a surfboard has very little resistance to
it,
> but
> > after two years of surfing I had a back like Arnold Schwartzenegger's.
> Neck
> > like a pencil and legs like pipe cleaners...but a huge back...
> > -----------------------
> > PeteCresswell
>
> Fine, but you did not get a huge back from paddling. It came from
something
> else, possibly genetics.

i think the term 'huge' is overstating, but surfboard paddling does wonderful things for back
development. and surfers, a a rule tend to have very good backs. like swimmers, and often better.

most don't knee paddle anymore, because they aren't luddite longboarders :) ...

however, i found that when i started weightlifting, after years of surfing (and swimming etc.) that
my back was WAY ahead of other bodyparts. 15 bw chinups was not a problem, and I could do a lot on
lat pulldowns as well.

while genetics help in ALL muscle development (whether from surfing or lifting), it is a fact that
surfing/paddling can do a lot for back development.

although i think the arnold comparison was probably a bit of hyperbole. :l

whit

"Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A wise sage once said marriage is no place for truthfulness. ;-)

Where are the dumb sages when you really need 'em?