Best handling road tire that gets reasonable mileage?

Jim Martin

Guest
Hello All:

Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out and
so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I go so spoiled with those contis. My rides all go up the
canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the switchbacks
with the contis but I was really nervous with the panaracers.

So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? I went through
two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be about $150 at full
retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items like tires but
todays ride convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short be use brakes
in the curves ;-)

Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd prefer wider, at least 25mm if
I can get it.

Thanks,

Jim

---

On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:15:19 +0000, Jim Martin wrote:

> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? I went through
> two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be about $150 at full
> retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items like tires but
> todays ride convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short be use brakes
> in the curves ;-)
>
> Avocet?

That would be my recommendation. It would take a lot more of them to cost $150 even at full retail,
and they would last a lot longer. They also have low rolling resistance, and are very nice.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |

If you're cheap go with Nashbar Prima Plus2 tires, kevlar belt for $9.95

On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:15:19 -0700, Jim Martin wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out
> and so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I go so spoiled with those contis. My rides all go
> up the canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the
> switchbacks with the contis but I was really nervous with the panaracers.
>
> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? I went through
> two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be about $150 at full
> retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items like tires but
> todays ride convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short be use brakes
> in the curves ;-)
>
> Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd prefer wider, at least 25mm
> if I can get it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>

> ---

Micheln Axial Pro Race 25mm from [email protected]. He'll send 3 of them to you for less than $100
shipped. They are great on fast twisty bumpy decents and they are durable.

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All:
>
> Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out
> and so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I
go
> so spoiled with those contis. My rides all go up the canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN
> the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the switchbacks with the contis but I was really nervous
> with the panaracers.
>
> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get
reasonable
> life? I went through two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be
> about $150 at full retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items
> like tires but todays
ride
> convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short
be
> use brakes in the curves ;-)
>
> Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd
prefer
> wider, at least 25mm if I can get it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>

> ---

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Micheln Axial Pro Race 25mm from [email protected]. He'll send 3 of them to you for less than $100
> shipped. They are great on fast twisty bumpy decents and they are durable.

Ditto that. I love going downhill fast, and the Michelins inspire a lot of confidence. They really
stick to the road in turns, even in the wet. You can push the bike over far enough to be scary, and
they won't let you down.

I've logged nearly 1900 miles on the Axial Pro's (last year's tire), and have not yet tried the Pro
Race model, but I've heard lots of good buzz on this year's tire. Last year's model seems reasonably
durable, although somewhat susceptible to cuts. I've just received a couple of the new Pro Race
tires (from Performance...are you listening Michael?), and can't wait to try them out soon.

GG

> "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out
> > and so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I
> go
> > so spoiled with those contis. My rides all go up the canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN
> > the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the switchbacks with the contis but I was really nervous
> > with the
panaracers.

> > So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get
> reasonable
> > life? I went through two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be
> > about $150 at full retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items
> > like tires but todays
> ride
> > convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short
> be
> > use brakes in the curves ;-)
> >
> > Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd
> prefer
> > wider, at least 25mm if I can get it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > ---
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.480 / Virus Database: 276 - Release Date: 5/12/2003

"Bald Headed John Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> If you're cheap go with Nashbar Prima Plus2 tires, kevlar belt for $9.95

are they ok? i bought a nashbar generic a while back and it was so bad i sent it back. looked like
it came straight from the department store, but worse.

prima plus2? do you have experience with these, (or does anyone else?) or are you suggesting them
becuase they are inexpensive?

cheers

"Bald Headed John Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> If you're cheap go with Nashbar Prima Plus2 tires, kevlar belt for $9.95

re: going down windy mountain roads on a $9.95 tire.

I think Clint Eastwood said it best, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" :)

For serious speeds, you need a serious tire...Michelin Axial Pro Race.

GG

> On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:15:19 -0700, Jim Martin wrote:
>
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out
> > and so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I go so spoiled with those contis. My rides all
> > go up the canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the
> > switchbacks with the contis but I was really nervous with the
panaracers.

> > So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get
reasonable
> > life? I went through two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be
> > about $150 at full retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items
> > like tires but todays ride convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too
> > short be use brakes in the curves ;-)
> >
> > Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd prefer wider, at least
> > 25mm if I can get it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > ---
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.480 / Virus Database: 276 -
Release
> > Date: 5/12/2003

I just had a set of Rubino Pro fitted. Did 100 k on them today. Excellent tyre.

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All:
>
> Couple of years ago I ran into a heck of a deal on some conti 3000s. The last one just wore out
> and so I picked up some cheap panaracers. YUK! I
go
> so spoiled with those contis. My rides all go up the canyons around Salt Lake City and then DOWN
> the canyons. I really enjoyed bombing the switchbacks with the contis but I was really nervous
> with the panaracers.
>
> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? I went
> through two rear tires and one front tire a year with the Conti's so that would be about $150
> at full retail. I tend to be frugal (cheep?) when it comes to picking dispoable items like
> tires but todays
ride
> convinced me that this is a good place NOT to scrimp. Life is too short be use brakes in the
> curves ;-)
>
> Avocet? Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd
prefer
> wider, at least 25mm if I can get it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>

> ---

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? Avocet?
> Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd prefer wider, at least 25mm if I
> can get it.

If you didn't like the Panaracers, you'd probably not like the Avocet or Rol-y Pol-y, which I think
are made by IRC, the other big Japanese tire exporter. I think IRC and Panaracer make excellent
tires, even in the economic price ranges. I think the Avocets, and especially the R-P's suffer from
excessive markup. The Continentals are a nice racing tire, but $50 a pop for just riding around is a
little steep, I doubt very much they're any safer, light weight tires make compromises.

"GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> writes:

> "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Micheln Axial Pro Race 25mm from [email protected]. He'll send 3 of them to you for less than $100
> > shipped. They are great on fast twisty bumpy decents and they are durable.
> >

> Ditto that. I love going downhill fast, and the Michelins inspire a lot of confidence. They really
> stick to the road in turns, even in the wet. You can push the bike over far enough to be scary,
> and they won't let you down.
>
> I've logged nearly 1900 miles on the Axial Pro's (last year's tire), and have not yet tried the
> Pro Race model, but I've heard lots of good buzz on this year's tire. Last year's model seems
> reasonably durable, although somewhat susceptible to cuts. I've just received a couple of the
> new Pro Race tires (from Performance...are you listening Michael?), and can't wait to try them
> out soon.

The Michelin Carbon appears to offer similar quality but with lower cost and longer life (and a
little more weight) than the pro race; does anyone have experience with this tire?

Thanks, Sam

"GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Bald Headed John Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > If you're cheap go with Nashbar Prima Plus2 tires, kevlar belt for
$9.95

> re: going down windy mountain roads on a $9.95 tire.
>
> I think Clint Eastwood said it best, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" :)
>
> For serious speeds, you need a serious tire...Michelin Axial Pro Race.

Why is that? Half of the high priced tires on the market are still experimenting with silica-based
compounds, many of which are not long lived and do not provide the exceptional traction claimed in
the advertising (including the Michelin Axial Pro). Most of the cheap tires still use a
carbon-based tread compound with typically good traction, assuming the mold release has been ridden
off. I have never crashed descending on cheap tires, although I had a couple of good crashes on
some expensive and ill-conceived Turbos about 10 or so years ago. High price does not guaranty
traction. Every time I see a post like this, I wonder how we managed to get down the same windy
mountain roads 30 years ago on cheap **** like Michelin 50s or Clement Elvezias. Have the
down-hills gotten steeper? -- Jay Beattie.

DIY cable /bike luber on May 17 has a Conti TT review! no really. coincidence, no? The Conti, to
continue BCL, countersteers beautifully with a lean forward balance going into(then over!! visavee
slicks)deep sand skim on pavement with the gyro downforce developing even with a touring load
rearward thru the balance and run light center tread with the angling off hi surfaces bearing thru
the sand extremely well with an excellent keeling effect. Avast the mizzen!!!

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Bald Headed John Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > If you're cheap go with Nashbar Prima Plus2 tires, kevlar belt for
> $9.95
> >
> > re: going down windy mountain roads on a $9.95 tire.
> >
> > I think Clint Eastwood said it best, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" :)
> >
> > For serious speeds, you need a serious tire...Michelin Axial Pro Race.
>
> Why is that? Half of the high priced tires on the market are still experimenting with silica-based
> compounds, many of which are not long lived and do not provide the exceptional traction claimed in
> the advertising (including the Michelin Axial Pro). Most of the cheap tires still use a
> carbon-based tread compound with typically good traction, assuming the mold release has been
> ridden off. I have never crashed descending on cheap tires, although I had a couple of good
> crashes on some expensive and ill-conceived Turbos about 10 or so years ago. High price does not
> guaranty traction. Every time I see a post like this, I wonder how we managed to get down the same
> windy mountain roads 30 years ago on cheap **** like Michelin 50s or Clement Elvezias. Have the
> down-hills gotten steeper? -- Jay Beattie.

As a rule of thumb, "you get what you paid for". There might very well be acceptable $9.95 tires out
there, but I'm not willing to risk a crash to save a few bucks (at my age, recovery from injury
takes too damned long!). I love going downhill fast...my friends call me "Il Falcone", because none
of them can catch me on a descent. At the speeds I descend, falling is not an option, and so tires
are a mission-critical item for me.

I've tried other tires (Conti's, Panaracer, Specialized, Forte), but they never inspired the
confidence I have in the Axial Pros. They're supple, accelerate quickly, and stick in the corners
like glue.

My $0.02 worth.

GG

Peter Cole writes:

> "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So my question: What tires have excellent handling and also get reasonable life? Avocet?
>> Roll-y Pol-y? Stick with the Conti? Rubinos? Others? Also I'd prefer wider, at least 25mm if I
>> can get it.
>
> If you didn't like the Panaracers, you'd probably not like the Avocet or Rol-y Pol-y, which I
> think are made by IRC, the other big Japanese tire exporter. I think IRC and Panaracer make
> excellent tires, even in the economic price ranges. I think the Avocets, and especially the R-P's
> suffer from excessive markup.

Avocets last about 3000 miles on the rear. At $20 or so per tire, that's about $60 per year for me.
How much cheaper can you get?

This is fantastic. I love riding into deep sand! Do you also have these Conti tires for sale? If so,
how much? I bet these tires will put my old Avocet Fasgrip 30 tires into the dust or should I say
leave them in the sand..... Let us know what you have! "g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in

On Thu, 22 May 2003 09:30:56 -0700, "GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote:

>I've tried other tires (Conti's, Panaracer, Specialized, Forte), but they never inspired the
>confidence I have in the Axial Pros. They're supple, accelerate quickly, and stick in the corners
>like glue.

Which of the tires that you used didn't stick to the ground? What happened?

"Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Avocets last about 3000 miles on the rear. At $20 or so per tire, that's about $60 per year for
> me. How much cheaper can you get?

I don't think I've ever bought Avocets that cheap. The cheapest I see now is around $25. You can get
very nice Panaracer/IRC tires for about half that. My tires rarely wear out at the tread, not even
the Avocets or Continentals.

Agree, Avocet tires are not cheap, especially the Road version - 25/28mm wide, and they're getting
more expensive! For "$20" he's probably buying the older Fasgrip 20/20K wire bead. Unfortunately,
Avocet tires are no longer made in Japan, now made in Korea; are all black versus black/tan
sidewall; and the newer "carbon 12" version are more pricey retailing for like $35 (wire)/$40-42
(folding). I too like Avocets, especially the older Fasgrip 30 700x28, but when my small stash runs
out I'm looking for something else - IRC/Panaracer/Conti or Michelin. I wonder who makes a nice all
news:[email protected]...

Sam Huffman <[email protected]> wrote in message ...

> The Michelin Carbon appears to offer similar quality but with lower cost and longer life (and a
> little more weight) than the pro race; does anyone have experience with this tire?
>
> Thanks, Sam

Yes; I've had extremely good luck with these. Only one flat all last year, and that was due to
something that put a gaping cut across the rear tire...aside from that, no problems over several
thousand miles after I replaced it.

"GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> As a rule of thumb, "you get what you paid for". There might very well be acceptable $9.95 tires
> out there, but I'm not willing to risk a crash to save a few bucks (at my age, recovery from
> injury takes too damned long!). I love going downhill fast...my friends call me "Il Falcone",
> because none of them can catch me on a descent. At the speeds I descend, falling is not an option,
> and so tires are a mission-critical item for me.

You make it sound like the rest of us save money on tires just to blow it on medical expenses.

> I've tried other tires (Conti's, Panaracer, Specialized, Forte), but they never inspired the
> confidence I have in the Axial Pros. They're supple, accelerate quickly, and stick in the corners
> like glue.

"Supple", the magazine writer's favorite adjective!

How do you measure acceleration (of tires)?

As for "sticking like glue", as Jobst loves to point out, nobody really pushes the limit in corners
because the learning curve is so painful, so nobody ever really finds the limits of their tires.
How do you distinguish better cornering ability without breaking tires loose? How do you do that
without crashing? A tire traction expert would either have a very good lab or be covered head to
toe in road rash.