Best handling road tire that gets reasonable mileage?

Tom Ace <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> As long as we're on the subject of climbing,
>
> Weight is more important in climbing than in bike riding (as evidenced by the slim builds of so
> many top climbers) but for some reason I don't hear as many climbers obsessing over small
> differences in equipment weight as I do cyclists.

there are many types of climbing. with some types of climbing, you are carrying so little gear that
weight doesnt matter, just function. (ie: sport climbing). traditional climbing has you carrying a
heck of a lot of gear. some folks pinch grams here and there, but generally only the pros really
need to watch the gear weight. the rest of us keep an eye to function and economy. this is analogous
to bicycling, i believe.

alpine climbers, an eccentric mountaineering breed, count grams worse than any group of people i
know. period. however- they have to, because they are pushing the limits and need all the help they
can get. weight makes a hell of a lot more difference on foot than on a bike. theres no inertia to
carry you on foot/cliff, unlike bicycling.

I use the Prima Plus 2 a lot, buy them 10 at a time for my commuter. I use the 700x23 and ride ~9k
miles a year on that particular bike. I weigh 170 lbs. and get about 1400-1700 miles on the back.
The roads I ride are anything from pristine brand new blacktop to trash littered improved highway
shoulders and HEAVILY patched cobblestone like nightmares. The Plus 2 disignation of the tire means
kevlar belted, the regular Primas have no belt @ $7.95. FYI they are *gasp!* Cheng Shin tires.

On 22 May 2003 09:21:47 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

>The Conti, to continue BCL, countersteers beautifully with a lean forward balance going into(then
>over!! visavee slicks)deep sand skim on pavement with the gyro downforce developing even with a
>touring load rearward thru the balance and run light center tread with the angling off hi surfaces
>bearing thru the sand extremely well with an excellent keeling effect. Avast the mizzen!!!

Jasper (losing the ability to distinguish between marketing speak without content and parodies
of same..)

1)so what music do you listen to when riding downwind thru the esses?
2)why do cyclists whine about $20 difference between the best tires and the middle range tires?
3) do these cyclist pay BM $17.95 yearly?
4)two sets of wheels are the answer. then listen to the wind. listen. develop a sense of rythem.

the carcass is the thing.see the Conti brochure. and you gotta pay a artisan working in abominable
conditions to make each one just so. and this costs $$$ and more since the $$$ heads to the cellar.
i wrote a conti 27" TT review in diy bike/cable luber. worth the $35. for sure.