Best hardtail mountain bike under $1k

Pippin2026

Jan 29, 2018
Hey all,

I've been a recreational mountain biker for all of my life and am currently in the market for what I would consider my first "serious" mountain bike.

I've done a fair bit of research online but only visited the local cycle shop. The local shop got me interested in the Giant Talon 2 (2018), the Scott Aspect 740 (2018) and possibly the Scott Aspect 730 (2018) although slightly over budget.

Before I go out and buy one of those bikes simply because my local store stocks them I would like to know your opinions on decent MTBs under $1000. I'm happy to travel to Melbourne to purchase a bike so most bikes should be sold there.

All suggestions appreciated
icon_biggrin.gif
!
Thanks a lot!

I just bought a GT Chucker 3.0 Hardtail from a friend, I really don't know what kind of brands are popular there but here in Manila the most popular ones are:
1. Giant
2. Trek
3. GT
4. Shimano
5. GTS - (Local Brand / Assembled with Shimano parts)
6. Shimano
I bought this GTS Chucker for a bargain price of $200
IMG_20180411_171959.jpg
IMG_20180411_172031.jpg
IMG_20180411_172039.jpg

If you're looking for a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise, mountain biking is an excellent option. However, buying a mountain bike can be a daunting task, especially if you're on a budget. Luckily, you don't need to spend a fortune to get a quality mountain bike. In this article, we'll be taking a look at the best mountain bikes under $1000 that provide excellent value for money.

Giant Talon 3: Perfect for Beginners​

The Giant Talon 3 is an excellent entry-level mountain bike that is perfect for beginners. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that delivers a smooth ride on any terrain. The Talon 3 also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. With its affordable price and great features, the Giant Talon 3 is an excellent choice for riders who are just starting out.

Trek Marlin 7: Versatile for All Terrains​

The Trek Marlin 7 is a versatile mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want to explore a variety of terrains. It comes with a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a comfortable ride on rough terrain. The Marlin 7 also features Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that provide reliable shifting. Whether you're on a smooth trail or rough terrain, the Trek Marlin 7 is an excellent choice for riders who want a bike that can handle it all.

Diamondback Hook: Great for Challenging Trails​

The Diamondback Hook is a great mountain bike that is ideal for riders who want to tackle challenging trails. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 120mm suspension fork that delivers a smooth ride on any terrain. The Hook also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. If you're looking for a mountain bike that can handle the toughest trails, the Diamondback Hook is an excellent choice.

Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1: Reliable and Durable​

The Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 is an excellent mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want a reliable and durable bike. It comes with a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a smooth ride on rough terrain. The DRT 1.1 also features Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. If you want a bike that you can rely on, the Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 is an excellent choice.

Cannondale Trail 8: Perfect for a Variety of Terrains​

The Cannondale Trail 8 is a great mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want a bike that can handle a variety of terrains. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a comfortable ride on rough terrain. The Trail 8 also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that provide reliable shifting. Whether you're on a smooth trail or a bumpy road, the Cannondale Trail 8 is an excellent choice for riders who want a versatile bike.

Conclusion:​

In conclusion, buying a mountain bike doesn't have to be expensive. These mountain bikes under $1000 offer excellent value for money and are perfect for riders who are just starting out or those who want a reliable and durable bike that can handle a variety of terrains. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned rider, these mountain bikes are sure to provide an exciting and enjoyable ride.

my buddy showed up on the trail with a Nukeproof hardtail new off the web.
130mm shock travel , 2.6" tires and thru axle - $1000 . couldn't believe it for the price.
yes of course a 29er.