Best hardtail mountain bike under $1k

Pippin2026

Jan 29, 2018
Hey all,

I've been a recreational mountain biker for all of my life and am currently in the market for what I would consider my first "serious" mountain bike.

I've done a fair bit of research online but only visited the local cycle shop. The local shop got me interested in the Giant Talon 2 (2018), the Scott Aspect 740 (2018) and possibly the Scott Aspect 730 (2018) although slightly over budget.

Before I go out and buy one of those bikes simply because my local store stocks them I would like to know your opinions on decent MTBs under $1000. I'm happy to travel to Melbourne to purchase a bike so most bikes should be sold there.

All suggestions appreciated
icon_biggrin.gif
!
Thanks a lot!

I just bought a GT Chucker 3.0 Hardtail from a friend, I really don't know what kind of brands are popular there but here in Manila the most popular ones are:
1. Giant
2. Trek
3. GT
4. Shimano
5. GTS - (Local Brand / Assembled with Shimano parts)
6. Shimano
I bought this GTS Chucker for a bargain price of $200
IMG_20180411_171959.jpg
IMG_20180411_172031.jpg
IMG_20180411_172039.jpg

If you're looking for a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise, mountain biking is an excellent option. However, buying a mountain bike can be a daunting task, especially if you're on a budget. Luckily, you don't need to spend a fortune to get a quality mountain bike. In this article, we'll be taking a look at the best mountain bikes under $1000 that provide excellent value for money.

Giant Talon 3: Perfect for Beginners​

The Giant Talon 3 is an excellent entry-level mountain bike that is perfect for beginners. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that delivers a smooth ride on any terrain. The Talon 3 also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. With its affordable price and great features, the Giant Talon 3 is an excellent choice for riders who are just starting out.

Trek Marlin 7: Versatile for All Terrains​

The Trek Marlin 7 is a versatile mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want to explore a variety of terrains. It comes with a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a comfortable ride on rough terrain. The Marlin 7 also features Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that provide reliable shifting. Whether you're on a smooth trail or rough terrain, the Trek Marlin 7 is an excellent choice for riders who want a bike that can handle it all.

Diamondback Hook: Great for Challenging Trails​

The Diamondback Hook is a great mountain bike that is ideal for riders who want to tackle challenging trails. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 120mm suspension fork that delivers a smooth ride on any terrain. The Hook also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. If you're looking for a mountain bike that can handle the toughest trails, the Diamondback Hook is an excellent choice.

Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1: Reliable and Durable​

The Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 is an excellent mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want a reliable and durable bike. It comes with a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a smooth ride on rough terrain. The DRT 1.1 also features Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that ensure precise and reliable shifting. If you want a bike that you can rely on, the Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 is an excellent choice.

Cannondale Trail 8: Perfect for a Variety of Terrains​

The Cannondale Trail 8 is a great mountain bike that is perfect for riders who want a bike that can handle a variety of terrains. It features a lightweight aluminum frame and a 100mm suspension fork that provides a comfortable ride on rough terrain. The Trail 8 also comes equipped with Shimano Altus shifters and derailleurs that provide reliable shifting. Whether you're on a smooth trail or a bumpy road, the Cannondale Trail 8 is an excellent choice for riders who want a versatile bike.

Conclusion:​

In conclusion, buying a mountain bike doesn't have to be expensive. These mountain bikes under $1000 offer excellent value for money and are perfect for riders who are just starting out or those who want a reliable and durable bike that can handle a variety of terrains. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned rider, these mountain bikes are sure to provide an exciting and enjoyable ride.

my buddy showed up on the trail with a Nukeproof hardtail new off the web.
130mm shock travel , 2.6" tires and thru axle - $1000 . couldn't believe it for the price.
yes of course a 29er.

The bikes you've mentioned are all solid choices for recreational mountain biking. However, if you're looking to improve your sprinting skills, you might want to consider a few other factors.

The Giant Talon 2 (2018) and the Scott Aspect 740 (2

Ah, fresh blood in the MTB world! Welcome, though I must say, I'm a bit partial to the road myself. But let's get down to business.

You've got your eye on some solid rides, but allow me to toss in my two cents. The Talon 2 is a reliable steed, but if you're willing to stretch that budget a tad, the Scott Aspect 740 might be more your speed. A bit more dough, but she's a looker and a performer.

And hey, I know it's tempting to stick with the local shop's offerings, but branch out a bit! You never know what gems you might find lurking in the great wide web. Just remember, whether you're shredding singletrack or cruising the tarmac, it's all about the ride, right?

Now go forth and conquer the trails, newcomer! And remember, no whining when your legs turn to jelly – it's all part of the experience.