Best Helmet?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by To Father Time, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hello All,

    What are your recommendations for a quality recumbent helmet?

    ---------------------

    Right now I am using a Wal-Mart (bell) $19 helmet (almost 3000 miles with this one).

    Though, I am wondering if I couldn't protect my head better.

    I am looking at the specialized M and S series helmets.

    ---------------------

    I can't tell how much is marketing and how much is additional benefit for my noggin protection.

    Any insight on specific helmets?

    ---
    Thank you very much,

    Father Time

    Tags:

  2. "to Father Time" skrev...

    [q1]> What are your recommendations for a quality recumbent helmet?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any insight on specific helmets?[/q1]

    Theres a site here that tests each years lineup of helmets.

    http://www.bhsi.org/index.htm

    Mikael

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Since all new helmets now being sold meet ANSI and/or Snell standards, any of them should protect
    you adequately. Expensive helmets usually offer either a name, fancy but non functional colors or
    snazzy holes that do little if anything beyond what the cheaper helmets offer.

    Just my two cents here...

    --

    .....John.....
    John Baughman Ohio State, class of '72 GO BUCKS! 13 - 0 PO Box 153 Placida, Fl 33946-0153 Personal
    "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Hello All,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> What are your recommendations for a quality recumbent helmet?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ---------------------[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Right now I am using a Wal-Mart (bell) $19 helmet (almost 3000 miles with this one).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Though, I am wondering if I couldn't protect my head better.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am looking at the specialized M and S series helmets.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ---------------------[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I can't tell how much is marketing and how much is additional benefit for[/q1]
    my
    [q1]> noggin protection.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any insight on specific helmets?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ---[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you very much,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Father Time[/q1]

  4. Chris Broome

    Chris Broome Guest

    The more expensive helmets often weigh much less than the more economical models and offer better
    airflow for cooling.

    It's up to you to decide if those features are worth spending your money.

    YMMV

    -- Chris Broome

    ************

    John Baughman wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Since all new helmets now being sold meet ANSI and/or Snell standards, any of them should protect[/q1]
    [q1]> you adequately. Expensive helmets usually offer either a name, fancy but non functional colors or[/q1]
    [q1]> snazzy holes that do little if anything beyond what the cheaper helmets offer.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Just my two cents here...[/q1]

  5. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    [q1]> BTW I am looking for a new helmet too. Can anyone recommend one that comes in 'Giro' green?[/q1]

    Cletus,

    I bought a "closeout" from Sierra Trading that looks like a hockey helmet. I like it because it
    covers the lower back of my head better than my "Summer" helmet does. I don't think it will do for
    summer because the vents aren't that large.

    It was cheap, it was green and it was a Giro.

    Jerry Rhodes

  6. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Thomas Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    [q1]> to Father Time wrote:[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > ... Though, I am wondering if I couldn't protect my head better....[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> It seems only right to mention that from a safety viewpoint, it would make more sense to were a[/q1]
    [q1]> h*lm*t while driving/riding in a motor vehicle than on a bicycle.[/q1]

    Hmmm Tom,

    I have broken 2 Giro Hammerheads and an early Specialized In crashes on my MTB. I have never broken
    one while driving/riding in a motor vehicle.

    As to heat related injuries....The helmet provides superior protection from direct solar radiation
    and would be more likely to prevent heat related stress than to cause it. When the sun is as hot and
    strong as it is in the part of the country I inhabit a styrofoam ice chest on your head is a good
    thing. If covering your head with no ventilation was a bad thing those Tauregs of the Sahara would
    have long since disappeared.

    My problem with the super ventilated types is that my poor little bald head gets sunburned and the
    perceived heat is greated than with my less ventilated types which provide more shade.

    I supposed that those who are cursed with great masses of hair can get away with riding in the sun
    with no helmet.

    Jerry Rhodes

  7. [email protected] (John Pickett Alexandria VA) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    [q1]> I had a Giro helmet that I used when rdiing my DF. I replaced it with a Specialized M series[/q1]
    [q1]> helmet earlier this year because the Giro had a deep shell and came down low on my forehead. I had[/q1]
    [q1]> to crane my neck to see the road ahead. The "M" series helmet is not as deep and sits higher on my[/q1]
    [q1]> forehead. Problem solved. Then i bought a recumbent. When I am ride my Tour Easy I prefer the[/q1]
    [q1]> Giro, since craning my neck is no longer an issue. Also, since it sits lower on my forehead the[/q1]
    [q1]> visor shades my eyes better.[/q1]

    The problem with most newer model helmets is lack of visor adjustment. Lowering the visor makes it
    more useful on a 'bent. I was able to lower the visor on a '00 Bell Aquila by slicing off the center
    pins & velcroing the visor as low as possible on the helmet. Newer helmet visors (Bell,Giro)attach
    only on the sides of the helmet & don't allow for easy adjustment. I also made a flip-up visor
    extender out of a plastic panel & binder clip which clips to the helmet visor & folds down to extend
    the visor by 2-3".

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    [q1]> Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:<[email protected]>...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> > BTW I am looking for a new helmet too. Can anyone recommend one that comes in 'Giro' green?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Cletus,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I bought a "closeout" from Sierra Trading that looks like a hockey helmet. I like it because it[/q1]
    [q1]> covers the lower back of my head better than my "Summer" helmet does. I don't think it will do for[/q1]
    [q1]> summer because the vents aren't that large.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> It was cheap, it was green and it was a Giro.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Jerry Rhodes[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    In the 'Land without winter' I don't need no steekin' Hockey helmet.

    After my original post I realized that I should have said the Giro green that I was referring to was
    a _Bacchetta_ Giro Green not a Giro Helmet.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. FWIW, the safest color for a helmet (or a bike or a vehicle) is yellow. It is the last color to
    recede from human vision.

    I buy helmets based on (perceived) quality, fit and cooling. I found that the L-XL Giro Boreas that
    fits me perfectly and stays in position ... so I bought a couple when PricePoint closed them out.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> In article <[email protected]>,[/q1]
    [email protected]
    [q1]> says...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
    news:<[email protected]>...
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q3]> > > BTW I am looking for a new helmet too. Can anyone recommend one that[/q3]
    comes in
    [q3]> > > 'Giro' green?[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Cletus,[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I bought a "closeout" from Sierra Trading that looks like a hockey helmet. I like it because it[/q2]
    [q2]> > covers the lower back of my head better than my "Summer" helmet does. I don't think it will do[/q2]
    [q2]> > for summer because the vents aren't that large.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > It was cheap, it was green and it was a Giro.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Jerry Rhodes[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> In the 'Land without winter' I don't need no steekin' Hockey helmet.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> After my original post I realized that I should have said the Giro green[/q1]
    that
    [q1]> I was referring to was a _Bacchetta_ Giro Green not a Giro Helmet.[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org[/q1]
    [q1]> - Bellaire, TX USA -[/q1]

  10. I too have the Giro Helmet, but the Havoc series. Mine is XL because my Brain is so bloody huge. I
    also have a Louis Garneau with a Raccoon Tail hanging at the back. The Louis Garneau Helmet is in
    just the Large size because I only wore it when I used a Mtb and my Brain had not yet expanded.
    Since going to trikes, I have been hunting for a (snowboard Helmet). One of the Silver Mirror types
    that will cover my ears. Don't need the Giro Visor on a trike.
    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> FWIW, the safest color for a helmet (or a bike or a vehicle) is yellow. It is the last color to[/q1]
    [q1]> recede from human vision.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I buy helmets based on (perceived) quality, fit and cooling. I found[/q1]
    that
    [q1]> the L-XL Giro Boreas that fits me perfectly and stays in position ... so I bought a couple when[/q1]
    [q1]> PricePoint closed them out.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > In article <[email protected]>,[/q2]
    [q1]> [email protected][/q1]
    [q2]> > says...[/q2]
    [q3]> > > Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
    [q1]> news:<[email protected]>...[/q1]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > BTW I am looking for a new helmet too. Can anyone recommend one that[/q3]
    [q1]> comes in[/q1]
    [q3]> > > > 'Giro' green?[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Cletus,[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > I bought a "closeout" from Sierra Trading that looks like a hockey helmet. I like it because[/q3]
    [q3]> > > it covers the lower back of my head better than my "Summer" helmet does. I don't think it will[/q3]
    [q3]> > > do for summer because the vents aren't that large.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > It was cheap, it was green and it was a Giro.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Jerry Rhodes[/q3]
    [q2]> > In the 'Land without winter' I don't need no steekin' Hockey helmet.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > After my original post I realized that I should have said the Giro green[/q2]
    [q1]> that[/q1]
    [q2]> > I was referring to was a _Bacchetta_ Giro Green not a Giro Helmet.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org[/q2]
    [q2]> > - Bellaire, TX USA -[/q2]