best high pressure tyres?

dixie134134

Jun 22, 2010
Chasing a new set of tyres but cant decide what to buy want light and high pressure any ideas? whats the best road tyre?

Specialized Mondo Open Tubular (fancy for clincher), re-badged as S-Works Turbo
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro
Velo Flex Record
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo
Continental Grand Prix Supersonic

These tires fit your description, fast, light, and high pressure...but these are racing tires thus won't last long on the street, but you didn't ask for that. But those 5 tires represents the fastest and lightest tires on the market.

loked at ultremo's but they seem a little thin also defects in 09 they look good though the following was on their web site
ULTREMO “R” Replacement Notice

Important information for our customers
WARNING: The SCHWALBE Ultremo "R" tires
can exhibit bulging and should be removed from
use immediately. Free of charge replacements
will be supplied.

The Vittoria EVOs are also very thin; probably thinner than Ultremos.
If you want something that still rolls pretty well, but will be more durable and offer a little more punture protection, maybe go for something like Contintal GP4000S, Michelin Pro2Race, 'unrecallable' Ultremos, Veloflex Paves or Vittoria Diamtante Pro. I'm currently using the Continentals, mainly due to price and availability (the last time I bought a bunch of tyres online). I've had two Vittoria EVOs slice and pop just from riding over sharp stones.
Originally Posted by dixie134134 .

Thanks decided to go with the Vittoria open corsa evo cxII /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Contintal GP4000S are my next purchase will road test the evo's as long as they last me 3-6months ill be happy fingers crossed they dont pop from sharp stones

Without a doubt, the Conti GP4000S.

The Open Corsa Evo just cuts and punctures way too easily which is apt as the anagram of that is "pace over soon."

Originally Posted by dixie134134 .

loked at ultremo's but they seem a little thin also defects in 09 they look good though the following was on their web site
ULTREMO “R” Replacement Notice

Important information for our customers
WARNING: The SCHWALBE Ultremo "R" tires
can exhibit bulging and should be removed from
use immediately. Free of charge replacements
will be supplied.

How does a 2009 recall on tires made in 2009 effect tires made in 2011?

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Without a doubt, the Conti GP4000S.

The Open Corsa Evo just cuts and punctures way too easily which is apt as the anagram of that is "pace over soon."
You didn't read his post. He wanted light, ie fast and high pressure, no mention of flat resistance even after I told him he didn't and the tires I mentioned wear fast and won't last long on the street he still didn't request for something different. By the way GP4000's are only average in rolling resistance.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Specialized Mondo Open Tubular (fancy for clincher), re-badged as S-Works Turbo
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro
Velo Flex Record
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo
Continental Grand Prix Supersonic

These tires fit your description, fast, light, and high pressure...but these are racing tires thus won't last long on the street, but you didn't ask for that. But those 5 tires represents the fastest and lightest tires on the market.
I'll quote this post because it'll just make things easier.

The Veloflex and Conti Supersonic are race only tires. The have less rubber than standard road tires and the Conti has just casing and rubber - it's only saving grace is the chili compound rubber is very resistant to cuts. From Conti's website:

"The Grand Prix Supersonic is a very apt weapon in fighting for a personal best time, although for this extra speed, the tyre does not feature any additional puncture protection and has limited mileage use. With this in mind, the Grand PrixSupersonic is not a tyre for training! "

The vittoria open corsa cx has a claimed weight within a few grams of the 4000S. However, in independent tests the 4000S actually weights in lighter but only by a few grams.

Germany's Tour magazine, which does a boat load of fun tests, ranked the 4000S has the best road tire for reasons including low rolling resistance, excellent cornering and best in class resistance to punctures. I typically go several thousand miles between punctures on a 4000S. The Open CX stayed on my bike way less than a month and had many punctures and a few big cuts but didn't inspire lunatic maneuvers diving into corners either.

Good luck finding somewhere that has the Mondo Open Tubular in stock. It's been on back order on the Specialized site for eons. I wanted to try one but haven't been able to get one.

If you really want light weight and low rolling resistance you're off to the fun world of tubular tires and track glue. Standard road glue, like Mastik 1, kills rolling resistance. Good luck changing tires mid-ride and getting the tire pumped back up to 10bar. Oh to ride on a pair of Conti Olympic's pumped upto 200psi on concrete again but it's 19mm width doesn't lend itself for use on modern aero wheels.

If you were really serious about getting the best of the current crop of 23mm tires you'd be better served changing your rims to something 23mm wide - like the HED belgiums or Velocity A23 before worrying about minute differences in tires on a substandard width rim.

I guess no body reads anymore. I stated in my first post that those tires were fast light racing tires that would not last long on the street...not one person caught that!

Also you didn't catch that I put in the name replacement for the Mondo, read it again.

And some German test is now being quoted as saying Conti's are the best...lets see now, where are Conti's made?

Try this test instead: http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

Originally Posted by Froze .

I guess no body reads anymore. I stated in my first post that those tires were fast light racing tires that would not last long on the street...not one person caught that except for the original poster!

Also you didn't catch that I put in the name replacement for the Mondo, read it again.

And some German test is now being quoted as saying Conti's are the best...lets see now, where are Conti's made?

Try this test instead: http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

deleted. sorry guys, not sure what's going on, the website somehow double post my post, so I edited it to delete it then it double posted the delete post!

The new Ultremo R's are better than the troubled tires of the past; however, they are race tires and will have comparatively short life spans. You should consider Ultremo DD tires. They have much better puncture resistance and seem to roll well. Tread wears very nicely. Here in the desert heat, in the land of goat heads, cacti, and broken glass, the DD's are holding up very well. Another consideration would be Maxxis Re-fuse tires. They seem to be just as durable as the Ultremo DD skins but don't seem to roll quite as well. I prefer both of those tires much more than Conti 4000 or 4000s variants, neither of which seemed very puncture resistant. Also, Conti apparently makes their sidewalls with rice paper.

Keep in mind that if you want the lowest rolling resistance, you'll have to go with full blown race tires. That low rolling resistance comes, in part, from less--sometimes much less--cut and puncture resistance. Getting low rolling resistance means giving using less tread, which yields shorter tread life. Race tires are also built to optimize grip, and with tires, getting the most grip means giving up tread life as the tread with most grip is softer and is abraded from the tire more quickly. Entropy is a cold, hard *****.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Keep in mind that if you want the lowest rolling resistance, you'll have to go with full blown race tires. That low rolling resistance comes, in part, from less--sometimes much less--cut and puncture resistance. Getting low rolling resistance means giving using less tread, which yields shorter tread life. Race tires are also built to optimize grip, and with tires, getting the most grip means giving up tread life as the tread with most grip is softer and is abraded from the tire more quickly. Entropy is a cold, hard *****.
This is correct, and that is how I responded to the OP's question for wanting a fast tire and explained that the tires were racing tires and would not last long for street use. Some poster couldn't think that through. Maybe the Alienator's response is more to his liking.

I had the evo cx's earlier this year. I rode them for about 100 miles before I decided to switch to another tire. They were by far one of the fastest tires I'd ever riden and the most supple too! But in the 100 miles that I rode them I got two flats and the tire was wearing down very fast! I'd say they're great for racing, but I couldn't trust them on long training rides.

I like the Continental 4000S. In my part of the world lightness takes second place to thorn resistance. The Continentals are light, tough, and corner really well. Another great handling tire (though not so light) is the Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp. 225 grams, but tough, fast, and they love mountain descents. MC Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.