Best hills to train on around london UK

Newtothegame

Sep 23, 2009
hey fellow cyclists,

A group of us have just signed up to ride London to Paris for charity in September this year.

Living in a fairly flat area of London, were after some decent size hills to get some practise for any variation in altitude were going to cover on the ride.
on the route we plan to take there doesnt seem be be any increase great than 500ft above sea level..

We do the flat roads well enough( but always looking ot improve). but we just dont get any practise on anything worth writing home about.

any help or ideas on the best placeto attach some hills would be great.

thanks heaps guys...

You don't say where you are in London but if you're in the Southwest, my club's put together a nice Google map with climbs in the Surrey hills (North Downs). All of them are pretty short, not more than 10-15 min to climb, but many are fairly steep in places.

Note that the lanes can be somewhat narrow and rough so take care on the descents. And they should be avoided anytime there's been a frost, I've lost track of the number of crashes and falls I've heard about or seen in the winter due to icy roads.

Also on the map are several good coffee and cake stops. :)

As Maryka says it depends where in London you live. If I were you I'd post this question on the "Bikeradar.com" which is a predominanently UK based cycling forum.

smaryka said:
You don't say where you are in London but if you're in the Southwest, my club's put together a nice Google map with climbs in the Surrey hills (North Downs). All of them are pretty short, not more than 10-15 min to climb, but many are fairly steep in places.

Note that the lanes can be somewhat narrow and rough so take care on the descents. And they should be avoided anytime there's been a frost, I've lost track of the number of crashes and falls I've heard about or seen in the winter due to icy roads.

Also on the map are several good coffee and cake stops. :)

thanks very much guys for the reply.
I actually do live in SW12. so these are some of the hills which were recomended to me over the weekend by another group of riders.

and i also love the idea of the cake and coffee shops to fuel up for the return journey..

Great help!!

cheers