Best hitch carrier rack

Chris H

Guest
Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3 bikes-
mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?

I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed, or
have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.

Thanks

Chris

> Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3
bikes-
> mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?
>
> I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed,

or
> have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.

Not sure about "cheap" but Saris makes a pretty nice hitch rack that will
carry up to 4 bikes (with add-on).
http://www.graberproducts.com/products/cycleon.htm

I've tried the racks that clamp to the top tube and swing in the breeze and
there was nothing but disappointment. Bungie cords all over the place. Way
too much time spent strapping the bikes to the rack. Did I mention guilt???
After a friend of mine had the top tube of his frame creased from the damn
clamping mech. Not a pretty sight. Would not recommend.

I personally use the Hollywood Pro Rider 2. Not sure if there is an add-on
because I don't need to carry more than two bikes. The Prorider is a fork
mount tray system.

"Craig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3

> bikes-
> > mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?
> >
> > I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed,

> or
> > have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.
> >

> Not sure about "cheap" but Saris makes a pretty nice hitch rack that will
> carry up to 4 bikes (with add-on).
> http://www.graberproducts.com/products/cycleon.htm
>
> I've tried the racks that clamp to the top tube and swing in the breeze

and
> there was nothing but disappointment. Bungie cords all over the place.

Way
> too much time spent strapping the bikes to the rack. Did I mention

guilt???
> After a friend of mine had the top tube of his frame creased from the damn
> clamping mech. Not a pretty sight. Would not recommend.
>
> I personally use the Hollywood Pro Rider 2. Not sure if there is an

add-on
> because I don't need to carry more than two bikes. The Prorider is a fork
> mount tray system.

As has been mentioned here many times, "best" and "cheapest" are at odds
with each other. That said, I very much like the Sportworks Transport
(http://www.sportworks.com/sttra.asp). Saris stole the concepts from this
rack in creating their "cycleon". IMHO, Saris didn't improve upon the
Transport in creating their rack, and it costs about the same. Anyways,
there is no swaying of bikes, and you don't have to remove any wheels. It
carries everything from full suspension mt bikes to road bikes. You can add
a 3rd (or 4th) carrier to the Transport, but I've not heard of a 1 1/4"
reciever which is rated to hold 3+ bikes.

"Craig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3

> bikes-
> > mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?
> >
> > I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed,

> or
> > have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.
> >

> Not sure about "cheap" but Saris makes a pretty nice hitch rack that will
> carry up to 4 bikes (with add-on).
> http://www.graberproducts.com/products/cycleon.htm
>
> I've tried the racks that clamp to the top tube and swing in the breeze

and
> there was nothing but disappointment. Bungie cords all over the place.

Way
> too much time spent strapping the bikes to the rack. Did I mention

guilt???
> After a friend of mine had the top tube of his frame creased from the damn
> clamping mech. Not a pretty sight. Would not recommend.
>
> I personally use the Hollywood Pro Rider 2. Not sure if there is an

add-on
> because I don't need to carry more than two bikes. The Prorider is a fork
> mount tray system.

As has been mentioned here many times, "best" and "cheapest" are at odds
with each other. That said, I very much like the Sportworks Transport
(http://www.sportworks.com/sttra.asp). Saris stole the concepts from this
rack in creating their "cycleon". IMHO, Saris didn't improve upon the
Transport in creating their rack, and it costs about the same. Anyways,
there is no swaying of bikes, and you don't have to remove any wheels. It
carries everything from full suspension mt bikes to road bikes. You can add
a 3rd (or 4th) carrier to the Transport, but I've not heard of a 1 1/4"
reciever which is rated to hold 3+ bikes.

I have a Hollywood rack for only 2 bikes, but I know they make a larger
model. Mine cost around $200 and the larger one is around $250-275. Great
rack. Keeps the bike stable and you don't have to take off the wheels. What
else I like is that you can lock the bikes into the rack and not worry about
them walking off at the grocery store.

They have a web presence just search Hollywood racks. Good luck!

-- Bryan
_________________________________

Interested in supporting Christian Artists?
Support The Seth Ward Project

www.sethwardproject.org
news:[email protected]...

"Craig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<pVMPc.9478$> I've tried the racks that clamp to the top tube and swing in the breeze and
> there was nothing but disappointment. Bungie cords all over the place. Way
> too much time spent strapping the bikes to the rack. Did I mention guilt???
> After a friend of mine had the top tube of his frame creased from the damn
> clamping mech. Not a pretty sight. Would not recommend.
>
> I personally use the Hollywood Pro Rider 2. Not sure if there is an add-on
> because I don't need to carry more than two bikes. The Prorider is a fork
> mount tray system.

Hitch racks are great if youre short, weak or have a heavy bike. I
used one until today when I installed a subaru (made by Yakima) roof
mount system. No noticable wind noise at 70mph. Locks. Seems to hold
steel and oversized Cannondale frames. Only ~$180 delivered. No
problem putting bikes on my Outback wagon.

"Craig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<pVMPc.9478$> I've tried the racks that clamp to the top tube and swing in the breeze and
> there was nothing but disappointment. Bungie cords all over the place. Way
> too much time spent strapping the bikes to the rack. Did I mention guilt???
> After a friend of mine had the top tube of his frame creased from the damn
> clamping mech. Not a pretty sight. Would not recommend.
>
> I personally use the Hollywood Pro Rider 2. Not sure if there is an add-on
> because I don't need to carry more than two bikes. The Prorider is a fork
> mount tray system.

Hitch racks are great if youre short, weak or have a heavy bike. I
used one until today when I installed a subaru (made by Yakima) roof
mount system. No noticable wind noise at 70mph. Locks. Seems to hold
steel and oversized Cannondale frames. Only ~$180 delivered. No
problem putting bikes on my Outback wagon.

> Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3

bikes- mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?

> I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed,

or have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.

> Thanks
>
> Chris

Best is Sportworks. Cheapest? no. but best. http://sportworks.com/stdem.asp

Pat in TX

"rosco" <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That said, I very much like the Sportworks Transport
> (http://www.sportworks.com/sttra.asp).

I second the recommendation of Sportworks. I love mine -- it's an
awesome rack. Made here in Seattle. It's great for freeride and
downhill bikes, which are quite heavy.

You might also want to look at the DraftMaster, http://www.draftmaster.com.

-Dion

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Who makes the best/cheapest 1 1/4" receiver hitch rack for carrying 3

> bikes- mix of mountain & road bikes w/ aluminum frames?
> >
> > I don't want something that might cause the tubing walls to get crushed,

> or have the bikes clanking together out on the interstate.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris

> Best is Sportworks. Cheapest? no. but best.

http://sportworks.com/stdem.asp

> Pat in TX
> >

> Hitch racks are great if youre short, weak or have a heavy bike. I
> used one until today when I installed a subaru (made by Yakima) roof
> mount system. No noticable wind noise at 70mph. Locks. Seems to hold
> steel and oversized Cannondale frames. Only ~$180 delivered. No
> problem putting bikes on my Outback wagon.

Yeah, now don't forget to come back and tell us how you drove it into the
garage when you forgot the bikes were up there....

Hitch racks are just plain great--especially the ones by Sportsworks.

Pat in TX