Best HRM for cycling -- in terms of bang for the buck?

Roger Zoul

Guest
Assuming you're going to be trying to improve your ability for long rides
(time, speed, etc.), lose more weight, and that you are a gadget freak that
finds it fun to track stuff.

I already have a Polar M52, BTW, so getting one of the cycling models might
be fun, provided there is some payback beyond what I have now.

Notes: I would like an altimeter, since my cyclecomputer doesn't have
that...but it does have cadence so I don't need that.

Are the any brands that are competitive with Polar that offer greater bang
for the buck?

I'm thinking Polar S720i with no options, but I'm unsure as to how the
altitude function works at this moment. Is that going to tell total feet
climbed on a ride?

Would kind of be neat to have the functions of a cyclocomputer and HRM
built into a PDA with GPS.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Assuming you're going to be trying to improve your ability for long rides
> (time, speed, etc.), lose more weight, and that you are a gadget freak

that
> finds it fun to track stuff.
>
> I already have a Polar M52, BTW, so getting one of the cycling models

might
> be fun, provided there is some payback beyond what I have now.

Vetta and Cateye have integrated HRM/computers, and I think they also offer
wireless cadence. Too pricy for me. I also have a Polar M52, in a handlebar
mount. I use an ancient Vetta wireless computer, and I wear a Nike Lance 4
watch(yes, I'm a geek). The only thing I don't have covered is cadence, but
my birthday's coming up,..... :)

Gooserider wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::: Assuming you're going to be trying to improve your ability for long
::: rides (time, speed, etc.), lose more weight, and that you are a
::: gadget freak that finds it fun to track stuff.
:::
::: I already have a Polar M52, BTW, so getting one of the cycling
::: models might be fun, provided there is some payback beyond what I
::: have now.
:::
:: Vetta and Cateye have integrated HRM/computers, and I think they
:: also offer wireless cadence. Too pricy for me. I also have a Polar
:: M52, in a handlebar mount. I use an ancient Vetta wireless computer,
:: and I wear a Nike Lance 4 watch(yes, I'm a geek). The only thing I
:: don't have covered is cadence, but my birthday's coming up,..... :)

Mine too!

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Assuming you're going to be trying to improve your ability for long rides
> (time, speed, etc.), lose more weight, and that you are a gadget freak that
> finds it fun to track stuff.
>
> I already have a Polar M52, BTW, so getting one of the cycling models might
> be fun, provided there is some payback beyond what I have now.
>
> Notes: I would like an altimeter, since my cyclecomputer doesn't have
> that...but it does have cadence so I don't need that.
>
> Are the any brands that are competitive with Polar that offer greater bang
> for the buck?
>
> I'm thinking Polar S720i with no options, but I'm unsure as to how the
> altitude function works at this moment. Is that going to tell total feet
> climbed on a ride?
>
> Would kind of be neat to have the functions of a cyclocomputer and HRM
> built into a PDA with GPS.

Not quite there yet, but I have Vetta HR-100 and a Garmin e-trex Vista
on my handlebars (and sometimes an APRS* beacon on the seat bag). I
don't know have cost effective this setup is, but it seems to do the
job. If I were to get a new cyclometer at this point, I'd get one that
logs the ride so that I can download it to the PC. I have no idea why,
except that I need more useless information filling up my brain.

I really don't know why Garmin hasn't done anything for the
bicycle/fitness crowd, other than have a bike mount for their units. I
would think that a GPS that could log your heart rate/cadence and play
it back on a map would be very cool.

Looking at Garmin's web site, it looks like they may be getting
closer:

http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner201/

Eric

*Automated position reporting system - a global network established to
send GPS location information to other amateur radio operators. See
http://aprs.org

Eric wrote:
[...]
::
[...]

Wow...thanks for the link, Eric. That does seem like a cool unit. My guess
it's it going to take a bit more time for people the see how all of these
technologies can come together to make some great new products. There are
so many ways to approach it: improving performance, training, taking your
outside experience home with you so you can remember details of that cool
ride years later, etc. Gosh, one could even build in a nice digital camera
, so that one can take that once-in-a-lifetime shot that only happens when
you're out and about on a bicycle. I see good times ahead....