Best hybrid bikes under $1500

Brand1

Feb 8, 2010
My $200 mountain bike just got stolen and now I'm looking to buying a hybrid bike. What are some of the best hybrid bikes under $1500?

I would look at the Giant rapid 0, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Marin alp(Mill Valley) you can get any of these bikes for under 1,200 all top of the line and you can spend the rest of your money on gear.

Brand1 said:
My $200 mountain bike just got stolen and now I'm looking to buying a hybrid bike. What are some of the best hybrid bikes under $1500?
How tall are you?

If you are taller than 5'7" ...

AND, your budget is really up to $1500 AND you really want a Hybrid ...

THEN, get a 29er ... a 29er is the BEST HYBRID you can buy because they are basically Hybrid bikes which finally grew up -- in addition to being able to use any tire size which a Hybrid frame can use, a 29er can accept larger tires (up to 700-58).

Of course, a 29er is actually a MTB with 700c wheels & the necessary frame geometry adjustments to accommodate the larger tires; so, the wheelbase may be incrementally shorter (maybe an inch shorter) than a Hybrid's wheelbase, or not.

A RALEIGH XXIX+G retails for about $1400 ... a 2008-or-2009 (if available as NOS from your LBS) should be less by many hundreds of dollars ... and, that is what I would recommend you consider.

The 29er's suspension fork (if that's what you really want on a non-MTB bike) will be vastly superior to any suspension fork on a bike which is categorized as being a "Hybrid" by a bike manufacturer OR which the LBS is selling. IMO, those "upgrades" (the Hybrid-level suspension fork) would not be sold by a reputable bike shop.

If you don't want a suspension fork (and, I recommend against one unless you know you will be going off road) then you can resell it on eBay and replace it with a rigid fork OR put the suspension fork in your closet & save it for when you do plan to go off road with the bike.

If you don't want a bike with suspension fork, then get a GOOD cyclocross bike ... a(n alloy) REDLINE cyclocross frame + some pretty nice components should cost you less than $1500 (COLORADO CYCLIST used to sell ready-to-ride REDLINE CX bikes ... if they aren't carrying REDLINE, they'll have other, comparable frames/bikes for sale).

WHY DID YOU WANT A HYBRID?

thanks guys for suggestions! alfeng, I am 5'6 - 5'7" tall. I am basically looking for a road bike(straight bar road or hybrid bike?) that is comfortable for riding in a city. Also looking at Rocky Mountain Prestige 30 Rocky Mountain Prestige 30 CR Road Bike from Realcyclist.com
seems to be a great deal. Some other bikes i'm considering

Felt speed 30
GT Tachyon 1.0
jamis allegro 4
kona PH.D
scott sportster
specialized vita and Sirrus
trek 7.6 fx

I don't know much about bikes and appreciate your inputs.

Brand1 said:
thanks guys for suggestions! alfeng, I am 5'6 - 5'7" tall. I am basically looking for a road bike(straight bar road or hybrid bike?) that is comfortable for riding in a city. Also looking at Rocky Mountain Prestige 30 Rocky Mountain Prestige 30 CR Road Bike from Realcyclist.com

Felt speed 30
GT Tachyon 1.0
jamis allegro 4
kona PH.D
scott sportster
trek 7.6 fx

"29er" is the appellation someone (probably Gary Fisher) gave to the MTBs which have 700c wheels and REALLY BIG tires ...

Some people would consider a 29er to be overkill for street use; but, many people certainly ride their MTBs on pavement because riding conditions dictate the tire type ...

700-52 is typical tire size on a 29er ... and, 700-58 is the largest size that I know of ... someone apparently has a 700-48 which may-or-may-not be available, yet.

In the past, Hybrids came with 700-42, but some are now shod with narrower tires (~700-32 & 700-38).

I like the idea of being able to put almost any tire size in a general purpose frame (which is what I would classify a Hybrid as being) ... so, I think a Hybrid frame with a rigid fork is a good all-around frame/fork combination.

By my reckoning, a 'small' 29er is a like a 'medium' MTB ... and, I figure someone at 5'7" would not want a MTB that was larger than a 'medium' ...

The first picture is a "stock photo" of a Raleigh XXIX+G. The second picture is a 'small' 29er frame on which I put a rigid MTB fork to see if the final geometry would still be 'small' or approximate a 'X-small' frame size ...

Those are the SAME size (700c) wheels that most Hybrids have, but note how much more massive the tires are -- smaller tires can be used, of course.

FYI. The SR Suntour suspension forks (which I think are the norm for Hybrids) are of dubious benefit when compared with a "real" suspension fork designed for MTB-type use ... so, if you want a frame with a front fork & choose a Hybrid, then you would eventually want to pony up for a 29er suspension fork ...

Again, I think that a 'rigid' fork is all you need for paved road riding, particularly if you are riding on 700-38 to 700-42 (Hybrid) sized tires.

Ready-to-ride Hybrids tend to have components from the lower end of the various product lines than a ready-to-ride 29er you would leave an LBS with ... but, Hybrids cost less.

FWIW. As a personal preference, I would almost always choose a steel framed bike than one that is alloy OR (even) Carbon Fiber.

BTW. Frames should be sized based on the top tube length ... you probably want a ROAD bike with a frame whose top tube is ~52cm ...

Brand1 said:

Felt speed 30
GT Tachyon 1.0
jamis allegro 4
kona PH.D
scott sportster
trek 7.6 fx

The trek 7.6 and the specialized are giving you tiagra components at this price point so its not worth it.
The felt 30,and scott sportster are nice bikes but they have 105 mix components they are all (9 speed) instead of (10 speeds) when it comes time to upgrade its going to be easier to upgrade The Giant rapid, Fuji absolute or the Marin alp. compare components on each bike side by side and you will see. The best components are on the giant rapid, the best bang for your buck is the fuji absolute. From the list you gave i would pick the kona PH.D ,2010, GT Tachyon 1.0 or the jamis allegro 4 they all have full 105 10 speed. I would lean towards the Kona because of the wheels and the r/d is Ultegra but the giant rapid has the same components and a really nice look. try them all out and see what bike shop gives you the best price and maintenance package and what bike just feels better.

jagonz456 said:
The trek 7.6 and the specialized are giving you tiagra components at this price point so its not worth it.
The felt 30,and scott sportster are nice bikes but they have 105 mix components they are all (9 speed) instead of (10 speeds) when it comes time to upgrade its going to be easier to upgrade The Giant rapid, Fuji absolute or the Marin alp. compare components on each bike side by side and you will see. The best components are on the giant rapid, the best bang for your buck is the fuji absolute. From the list you gave i would pick the kona PH.D ,2010, GT Tachyon 1.0 or the jamis allegro 4 they all have full 105 10 speed. I would lean towards the Kona because of the wheels and the r/d is Ultegra but the giant rapid has the same components and a really nice look. try them all out and see what bike shop gives you the best price and maintenance package and what bike just feels better.

Brand1 said:

Felt speed 30
GT Tachyon 1.0
jamis allegro 4
kona PH.D
scott sportster
trek 7.6 fx

The rocky mountain 30 cr road is a really good deal for a full carbon. they have limited supply so if you know your size i would pull the trigger on that.If you don't know your size place a book between your legs and measure from the top of the book to the floor. Rocky Mountain is a Canadian bike company they make very good bikes so at that price point i can't see how you can go wrong.

alfeng said:
"29er" is the appellation someone (probably Gary Fisher) gave to the MTBs which have 700c wheels and REALLY BIG tires ...

Some people would consider a 29er to be overkill for street use; but, many people certainly ride their MTBs on pavement because riding conditions dictate the tire type ...

700-52 is typical tire size on a 29er ... and, 700-58 is the largest size that I know of ... someone apparently has a 700-48 which may-or-may-not be available, yet.

In the past, Hybrids came with 700-42, but some are now shod with narrower tires (~700-32 & 700-38).

I like the idea of being able to put almost any tire size in a general purpose frame (which is what I would classify a Hybrid as being) ... so, I think a Hybrid frame with a rigid fork is a good all-around frame/fork combination.

By my reckoning, a 'small' 29er is a like a 'medium' MTB ... and, I figure someone at 5'7" would not want a MTB that was larger than a 'medium' ...

The first picture is a "stock photo" of a Raleigh XXIX+G. The second picture is a 'small' 29er frame on which I put a rigid MTB fork to see if the final geometry would still be 'small' or approximate a 'X-small' frame size ...

Those are the SAME size (700c) wheels that most Hybrids have, but note how much more massive the tires are -- smaller tires can be used, of course.

FYI. The SR Suntour suspension forks (which I think are the norm for Hybrids) are of dubious benefit when compared with a "real" suspension fork designed for MTB-type use ... so, if you want a frame with a front fork & choose a Hybrid, then you would eventually want to pony up for a 29er suspension fork ...

Again, I think that a 'rigid' fork is all you need for paved road riding, particularly if you are riding on 700-38 to 700-42 (Hybrid) sized tires.

Ready-to-ride Hybrids tend to have components from the lower end of the various product lines than a ready-to-ride 29er you would leave an LBS with ... but, Hybrids cost less.

FWIW. As a personal preference, I would almost always choose a steel framed bike than one that is alloy OR (even) Carbon Fiber.

BTW. Frames should be sized based on the top tube length ... you probably want a ROAD bike with a frame whose top tube is ~52cm ...

wow, that's a lot of info to digest. thanks. what steel framed bike do you recommend? I just learned about Cyclocross bikes. Are there any good Cyclocross bikes under $1500?

jagonz456 said:

thanks for the advise. Actually I am also considering giant rapid and Fuji absolute. I didn't put them in the list because you had already mentioned them. The more I read, more confused and undecided i become as to what bike and type of bike is best suited for my needs. I am not a regular rider and don't do any racing. the bike would be for street use and mostly for short distance rides(less than 10 miles).

jagonz456 said:
The rocky mountain 30 cr road is a really good deal for a full carbon. they have limited supply so if you know your size i would pull the trigger on that.If you don't know your size place a book between your legs and measure from the top of the book to the floor. Rocky Mountain is a Canadian bike company they make very good bikes so at that price point i can't see how you can go wrong.

I keep reading fit and feel is the most important things when choosing a road bike. there is a rocky mountain dealer nearby, so I'll see if i can try one before buying

Trek's XO-1 is a pretty nice cyclocross package, which should come in right around $1450-$1500 at your LBS.

I'm biased, but I like the FX line--mine's a lower end model (7.3), but a very well built bike. I've had no issues with Deore components, and I'd not hesitate to buy the new Tiagra stuff.

Bottom line, lots of good, solid options in your price range, even more if you look for a near-new used bike.

Happy hunting!

Bill

Brand1 said:
thanks for the advise. Actually I am also considering giant rapid and Fuji absolute. I didn't put them in the list because you had already mentioned them. The more I read, more confused and undecided i become as to what bike and type of bike is best suited for my needs. I am not a regular rider and don't do any racing. the bike would be for street use and mostly for short distance rides(less than 10 miles).

I think you should go to different bike shops and start riding bikes. its more important that you find a bike shop that you trust. I would try the Kona,Giant and the fuji as the top 3. The problem with the treks is that they give you low end components. You can check the shimano website its a good guide to show you the hierarchy of shimano components. the bikes your looking at are all 10 speed and they are giving you 105/utegra mix. tiagra are like two tiers lower. You can test ride different road bikes while your there. this is a really good time to get closeout specials so make sure to ask at every shop.

FWIW, the XO-1 is 105 with a SRAM S-300 crank.

Can't speak for previous years, but for 2010 it seems the biggest differences between Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra are weight differences--in terms of quality/durability, there doesn't appear to be that much of a diff.

You're right though, the entry level bikes (sub-$800) throughout their road line though are typically 8 or 9 speed.

It's all good, everyone's got their preferences. :)

Bill