Best Indoor Trainer for power



Watoni

New Member
Mar 16, 2004
171
0
0
I currently ride 6-10 hours a week on an ergometer (Cardgirus); however, I am fearing it might be on its last legs and am considering replacement options. One thing I have loved about it is the ability to set a constant power and the smoothness of the resistance, which is much different than normal wind or mag trainers. The downside is that I only have power indoors.

Also, I would like something that gives helps me train outdoors with power as well.

Option #1: SRM Indoor Trainer
Very expensive, but heavy flywheel and eddy brake with load from 20 to 2500 watts. No ergometer mode, but it would allow precise training. It would seem you would need to upgrade and get an SRM pro on the trainer to make it really accurate (the standard trainer comes with an SRM amateur). You could then mount the SRM crank from the trainer on your bike come spring and have consistent measuring.

Option #2: Power Tap plus mag trainer

This way you would use your own bike and subject it to potential wear, but this option would be cheaper, even if you bought a powertap SL and the indoor trainer you chose were a Computrainer! You would lose the road feel and the stability of an SRM/Cardgirus/Veltron, but you would have more $$$$.

Option #3: Ergometer (Cyclus 2) where you can use your own bike + SRM
That would be the best assuming I win the lottery! Otherwise, just a dream

Option #4: Move back to California and buy a powertap!
 

Spunout

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
667
0
0
Watoni said:
I currently ride 6-10 hours a week on an ergometer (Cardgirus); however, I am fearing it might be on its last legs and am considering replacement options. One thing I have loved about it is the ability to set a constant power and the smoothness of the resistance, which is much different than normal wind or mag trainers. The downside is that I only have power indoors.

Also, I would like something that gives helps me train outdoors with power as well.

Option #1: SRM Indoor Trainer
Very expensive, but heavy flywheel and eddy brake with load from 20 to 2500 watts. No ergometer mode, but it would allow precise training. It would seem you would need to upgrade and get an SRM pro on the trainer to make it really accurate (the standard trainer comes with an SRM amateur). You could then mount the SRM crank from the trainer on your bike come spring and have consistent measuring.

Option #2: Power Tap plus mag trainer

This way you would use your own bike and subject it to potential wear, but this option would be cheaper, even if you bought a powertap SL and the indoor trainer you chose were a Computrainer! You would lose the road feel and the stability of an SRM/Cardgirus/Veltron, but you would have more $$$$.

Option #3: Ergometer (Cyclus 2) where you can use your own bike + SRM
That would be the best assuming I win the lottery! Otherwise, just a dream

Option #4: Move back to California and buy a powertap!
PowerTap plus Fluid2.

You would not lose stability nor (arguably) road feel. And when indoors is done, you have a wicked power system for use outdoors for the rest of the year. Does Computrainer or SRM give you that?
 

Watoni

New Member
Mar 16, 2004
171
0
0
Spunout said:
PowerTap plus Fluid2.

You would not lose stability nor (arguably) road feel. And when indoors is done, you have a wicked power system for use outdoors for the rest of the year. Does Computrainer or SRM give you that?

That is the point of the SRM. You use the crank on the trainer during the winter and can mount it on your bike during the rest of the year. You have to swap the cranks; however, that seems fairly basic if you are doing it 1-2X a year ...
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
I'm quite happy with my Powertap Pro and Kinetic fluid trainer. I'm not very familiar with many of the options you describe or what your criteria would be in choosing which is "best," but it seems to be a very effective, versatile solution.
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
frenchyge said:
I'm quite happy with my Powertap Pro and Kinetic fluid trainer. I'm not very familiar with many of the options you describe or what your criteria would be in choosing which is "best," but it seems to be a very effective, versatile solution.
I use the same, but the sl. Works fine. Then ride bike in spring. Save the $3-5000 go on vacation
 

vascdoc

New Member
May 7, 2005
225
0
0
Spunout said:
PowerTap plus Fluid2.

You would not lose stability nor (arguably) road feel. And when indoors is done, you have a wicked power system for use outdoors for the rest of the year. Does Computrainer or SRM give you that?

Computrainer give you both road simulations and Ergo mode for power training.
 

man910

New Member
Sep 27, 2003
6
0
1
Did you inquire how much the Cyclus 2 costs? I couldn't find it on their website. And did you see the cycling "tread mill"? That was really cool!

Watoni said:
Option #3: Ergometer (Cyclus 2) where you can use your own bike + SRM
That would be the best assuming I win the lottery! Otherwise, just a dream
 

TiMan

New Member
Sep 29, 2003
484
0
0
Power tap plus Kurt Kinetic road machine. I have both a Kinetic and a Cycle-ops fluid 2. The Kurt is better.
You cab get a Kurt for $275.