Best investment? Coach/Power Meter/HRM

Bet on the Patriots to win the superbowl and buy all the options with the winnings.

How about a new friend to ride with. Cheaper than a coach, motivating, and rewarding beyond the bike results.

RidwarePhil said:
Ok - so I am trying to improve my fitness for next year after a fairly average season. I can currently ride 6-8 hours per week and have been getting out on the road 1 or 2 times per week and the rest has been on the turbo.

I have been using a tacx swing turbo with manual resistance and a low end HRM and bike that just records ride stats rather than profiles over the ride etc.

I now have some cash after a clearout and unsure what to do with it;) . The options are:

Better HRM Polar 720i etc that will record profile and max / levels etc
Better turbo e.g. Tacx Flow with power output
Or get a coach.

I cant really afford more than 1 :( so I was wondering what had made the biggest difference to forum members.

Advice appreciated

hidesertphil said:
Bet on the Patriots to win the superbowl and buy all the options with the winnings.

How about a new friend to ride with. Cheaper than a coach, motivating, and rewarding beyond the bike results.
I agree. A riding buddy is a huge motivator for getting on the bike, if he has a PM, you kill two birds with one stone. Also, not mentioned is local bike clubs and regular group rides. Nothing is better motivation than trying to catch the pack, finally beating the club nemisis up a hill, etc. There are a lot of great riders who simply train with other great riders.

ric_stern/RST said:
And a lot of riders who do the wrong type of training entirely.

ric
Also, true. But in most local groups, there are a few guys who are using power meters, training intelligently, and are always happy to share their thoughts. You could do worse than finding a regular group to ride with and asking someone you were on the same pace with what type of power numbers they were showing. (there are also a fair share of blockheads) I am not suggesting that joining a local bike club will take the place of a real coach or an inteligent program, but it certainly is a good no cost start if you want to take competition to the next level. A PM can't teach racing and paceline tactics as well as regular group rides. I also helps having someone call if they haven't seen you out on the road lately, or the weather looks gloomy and you were going to skip that day.

kopride said:
Also, true. But in most local groups, there are a few guys who are using power meters, training intelligently, and are always happy to share their thoughts. You could do worse than finding a regular group to ride with and asking someone you were on the same pace with what type of power numbers they were showing. (there are also a fair share of blockheads) I am not suggesting that joining a local bike club will take the place of a real coach or an inteligent program, but it certainly is a good no cost start if you want to take competition to the next level. A PM can't teach racing and paceline tactics as well as regular group rides. I also helps having someone call if they haven't seen you out on the road lately, or the weather looks gloomy and you were going to skip that day.

while i definitely think the last sentence is true (for many people), i rarely see the first part as being true, but that may be due to a difference in geographical location (although i have ridden in the States).

ric

kopride said:
Also, true. But in most local groups, there are a few guys who are using power meters, training intelligently, and are always happy to share their thoughts.
Hmmm, I'd have thought most "intelligent trainers" wouldn't do that much group riding.... Maybe they share their thoughts over coffee after the ride, or they just ride on the front all the time.

Alex Simmons said:
Hmmm, I'd have thought most "intelligent trainers" wouldn't do that much group riding.... Maybe they share their thoughts over coffee after the ride, or they just ride on the front all the time.

damn you, you, you Aussie! that was my next point to make :eek: ;)

ric "gave up regular group rides sometime in the early 90's"

ric_stern/RST said:
damn you, you, you Aussie! that was my next point to make :eek: ;)

ric "gave up regular group rides sometime in the early 90's"
Well the PM can be a bit of a social wedge but you have to ask yourself, "do I want to become a faster cyclist, or do I just want to ride with the bunch?"

If you want to become faster, get a coach, get a PM and make sure coach knows what to do with said PM.

Alex Simmons said:
Well the PM can be a bit of a social wedge but you have to ask yourself, "do I want to become a faster cyclist, or do I just want to ride with the bunch?"

i think you can still ride with the bunch (on occasion); or i guess you could split up into small groups of evenly matched pairs. i just wouldn't suggest doing all your rides in the bunch.

If you want to become faster, get a coach, get a PM and make sure coach knows what to do with said PM.

indeed, that's very important (all these points). i see a few coaches making a right pigs ear of things.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
while i definitely think the last sentence is true (for many people), i rarely see the first part as being true, but that may be due to a difference in geographical location (although i have ridden in the States).

ric
Ric and Alex,

In SE PA (home of Marty Nothstein and Floyd Landis among others), we have many great local clubs, and a few comprehensive training centers embracing power training and full blown performance testing. (Eg. Cadence Cycling, Philly, check their web site) as well as other fine shops sponsoring teams. Local universities, like U of Penn have teams and these guys and coaches are out riding on the local scene. These guys are not blockheads, and will embrace anything to make them faster. It would be a rare night that I could not hook up with a group where more than half of the riders are using PMs and are riding under a fairly specific program. These guys do their individual program but also make time in their schedule for group rides. We have an outdoor velodrome nearby with an indoor scheduled to open soon.

Now, I agree that the problem with group rides is that you work the group's plan and not something geared specifically for you. Way too much LSD, no real intervals, and generalized mayhem with people turning it into a race. Also, you're right about the bunch and can fool yourself that just because you can hang in a group ride with the local racers that you will beat them on race day. But if you are in a major US metro area, I would be surprised if the cycling resources did not match SE PA.

IMHO, it is the rare individual who can be motivated solely by a PM and even the best coach, riding solo. I am not closed minded and plan to incorporate a PM soon, (I also am stuck doing more than my fair share of indoor riding due to work) but it is the rarer rider who wouldn't get faster mixing in some local rides, if they are anything like ours, into their regular routine. Again, I am not challenging your central thesis, but group rides are a great way to put the proverbial toe in the water before competing. And nothing keeps you motivated better than like minded buddies.

Consistency is the most important thing you can have with a group ride. If you know one ride is an LSD ride and the next ride always ends up in a 20km hammerfest and this ride always goes over this route and always contains hills where the bunch breaks up etc. then you can work that into your training, I have never experienced people simply racing to a 60km/h sign without knowing so before hand.

I agree solo riding is a lot better and I do a hell of a lot of solo riding but its still nice to head out with a group if you know beforehand whats going. That way you can work the coffee shop into your training!
PS: absolutely NO solo riding can simulate a race...racing regularly (every weekend if possible) is a must for good performance. You learn how to win, You learn skills, You learn how to handle yourself in a pack and of course its the absolutely hardest thing you can do on a bike physically. If you aren't totally knackered at the finish line you simply weren't riding hard enough.

And really whats the point of training if you dont race? Ok your Functional threshold is 10000 watts but you still haven't won a race so who cares???

kopride said:
Ric and Alex,

In SE PA (home of Marty Nothstein and Floyd Landis among others), we have many great local clubs, and a few comprehensive training centers embracing power training and full blown performance testing. (Eg. Cadence Cycling, Philly, check their web site) as well as other fine shops sponsoring teams. Local universities, like U of Penn have teams and these guys and coaches are out riding on the local scene. These guys are not blockheads, and will embrace anything to make them faster. It would be a rare night that I could not hook up with a group where more than half of the riders are using PMs and are riding under a fairly specific program. These guys do their individual program but also make time in their schedule for group rides. We have an outdoor velodrome nearby with an indoor scheduled to open soon.

Now, I agree that the problem with group rides is that you work the group's plan and not something geared specifically for you. Way too much LSD, no real intervals, and generalized mayhem with people turning it into a race. Also, you're right about the bunch and can fool yourself that just because you can hang in a group ride with the local racers that you will beat them on race day. But if you are in a major US metro area, I would be surprised if the cycling resources did not match SE PA.

IMHO, it is the rare individual who can be motivated solely by a PM and even the best coach, riding solo. I am not closed minded and plan to incorporate a PM soon, (I also am stuck doing more than my fair share of indoor riding due to work) but it is the rarer rider who wouldn't get faster mixing in some local rides, if they are anything like ours, into their regular routine. Again, I am not challenging your central thesis, but group rides are a great way to put the proverbial toe in the water before competing. And nothing keeps you motivated better than like minded buddies.
Cool, if you have good well disciplined bunches then lucky you. I think that's rare. PMs are less common my way in the training bunches.

I'll wait 'til you hook up the PM and see what it's telling you then.

Agree that for many, going with a bunch and/or working with a coach can be motivating but ultimately, motivation to improve must come from within.

dm69 said:
PS: absolutely NO solo riding can simulate a race...
Time trials, pursuits, 200m qualifiers, breakaways?
dm69 said:
If you aren't totally knackered at the finish line you simply weren't riding hard enough.
The guys who win usually do the least work in a race.
dm69 said:
And really whats the point of training if you dont race? Ok your Functional threshold is 10000 watts but you still haven't won a race so who cares???
Plenty care, like those who are trying to improve for other reasons, like recovery from illness and injury, or are perhaps aiming to participate in cycling events where greater fitness will be a distinct advantage (such as "I'm going on a TdF tour next year and I need to be able to keep up with the group on the climbs").

Alex Simmons said:
Time trials, pursuits, 200m qualifiers, breakaways?
The guys who win usually do the least work in a race.
Plenty care, like those who are trying to improve for other reasons, like recovery from illness and injury, or are perhaps aiming to participate in cycling events where greater fitness will be a distinct advantage (such as "I'm going on a TdF tour next year and I need to be able to keep up with the group on the climbs").
LMAO!!! Ok I will stop racing all together. Clearly the meaning of life is too have a high HR or POWER on your bike speedo!!!:eek:

I was obviously talking about road racing BTW! You will also learn a hell of a lot more in a race condition than on a training ride even in individual events!

True! Saving energy is important to winning bike races but by the finish line you SHOULD be knackered Ive never known anyone sprint half hearted at the end of a race or climb a hill half hearted because they know they can hold on to the end anyways!

PS: I really don't see the point of those bike tours :p ;) ...I also don't see the need to be 100% fit for those tours either! It definitely isn't a race just enjoy it.

My advice to all! RACE (providing your fit enough)...Were all those hours sitting on the saddle for nothing? Sure the scenery was nice ;) :D but nothing compares to winning and or competing.