BEST investment I have made yet!

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
So today was a beautiful dry 45-50 degree day (finally the rain stopped here in oregon long enough for the roads to dry out). I am a fair weather rider so far, I ride cuz it's fun and riding in the rain aint fun to me. ANYWHO, my best friend comes over to my place and we planned a nice 40 mile ride. Nothing to big since we hadn't been on a ride in over 2 months. He shows up wearing bib shorts and his short sleeve jersey :eek:. I was like..."yeah dude, you are gonna freeze!" he says,"dude its warm outside!" I was thinking...yeah inside your car on the way over hear it was warm, but not outside with the wind hitting your body.

So I was getting dressed and I was wanting to use my new Gore phantom jacket but didn't want to get to hot after my body had warmed up. I put it on and got really warm really fast so I took it off and figured I would be fine with a longs sleeve base under my jersey and my winter knickers. We headed out and i looked at my friend after about 45 ft and said..."I'm already freezing!" we turned around and went back to my place to layer up a bit. I gave him some stuff to wear as I wore my phantom jacket (without any shirt underneath) and threw on my specialized windstopper gloves and toe covers.

WOW the gore phantom gets a 10 out of 10 from me! perfect cycling jacket in my opinion. Great material, breathable, comfortable, sleeves can unzip and turn into a short sleeve jersey, stopped all the wind! :)
2nd-the gloves...also a 10 out of 10! great grip, good material, did not hinder my feel of the handle bars, brakes, levers at all. hands were nice and warm.
3rd-specialized toe warmers with windstopping material, did a great job keeping my toes warm and the wind out of my shoes.

all in all, hands down the BEST money I have spent since I started up cycling! Allowed me to concentrate and enjoy the ride instead of numb toes and fingers.

sounds good, if i ever move to Alaska i'll be sure and check one out. :D i remember one of my last rides getting stuck in a flash lightning/freezing hail storm for the last 15 to 20 miles of a 65er. i was stuck in rush hour traffic on a two way road with howling winds that were trying to force me and my bike off our tires completley, i couldn't see past my front tire, couldn't feel any apendages and yet never felt more alive and ready for anything. still managed an 18.8 mph average that ride. good times. with that jacket i could've averaged 20. :cool:

roadhouse said:
sounds good, if i ever move to Alaska i'll be sure and check one out. :D i remember one of my last rides getting stuck in a flash lightning/freezing hail storm for the last 15 to 20 miles of a 65er. i was stuck in rush hour traffic on a two way road with howling winds that were trying to force me and my bike off our tires completley, i couldn't see past my front tire, couldn't feel any apendages and yet never felt more alive and ready for anything. still managed an 18.8 mph average that ride. good times. with that jacket i could've averaged 20. :cool:

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story hey!!:p

bianchi10 said:
So today was a beautiful dry 45-50 degree day (finally the rain stopped here in oregon long enough for the roads to dry out). I am a fair weather rider so far, I ride cuz it's fun and riding in the rain aint fun to me. ANYWHO, my best friend comes over to my place and we planned a nice 40 mile ride. Nothing to big since we hadn't been on a ride in over 2 months. He shows up wearing bib shorts and his short sleeve jersey :eek:. I was like..."yeah dude, you are gonna freeze!" he says,"dude its warm outside!" I was thinking...yeah inside your car on the way over hear it was warm, but not outside with the wind hitting your body.

So I was getting dressed and I was wanting to use my new Gore phantom jacket but didn't want to get to hot after my body had warmed up. I put it on and got really warm really fast so I took it off and figured I would be fine with a longs sleeve base under my jersey and my winter knickers. We headed out and i looked at my friend after about 45 ft and said..."I'm already freezing!" we turned around and went back to my place to layer up a bit. I gave him some stuff to wear as I wore my phantom jacket (without any shirt underneath) and threw on my specialized windstopper gloves and toe covers.

WOW the gore phantom gets a 10 out of 10 from me! perfect cycling jacket in my opinion. Great material, breathable, comfortable, sleeves can unzip and turn into a short sleeve jersey, stopped all the wind! :)
2nd-the gloves...also a 10 out of 10! great grip, good material, did not hinder my feel of the handle bars, brakes, levers at all. hands were nice and warm.
3rd-specialized toe warmers with windstopping material, did a great job keeping my toes warm and the wind out of my shoes.

all in all, hands down the BEST money I have spent since I started up cycling! Allowed me to concentrate and enjoy the ride instead of numb toes and fingers.

Good deal!

A lot of times we only comment on things we don't like, which is just human nature, and it's nice to hear about things that worked well.

bianchi10 said:

Even better because as you acquire quality gear and apparel, it increases the number of days which can be enjoyed riding outside. :cool: