Best Legal Supplements for Cyclists

musher

Feb 21, 2006
Post your best Suppl. that you have tried or are using :eek: ,wonder what everyones use has suppl. .

NOxplode (nitric -oxide): $49.95 www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html

VantageVO2MAX : (endurance & power) 34.95 www.nvo.com/sportquestdir/vantageinformation/
www.nvo.com/sportquestdir/vo2maxinfo/

Beta-alinine :(carnosine) peak 30' to 45' eliminate after 90' ,
endurance -power- strengh

L-citrulline :-reduce lactic acid & ammonia - endurance -recovery
www.bodybuilbing.com/fun/jrod4.htm

Rhodiola Rosea :endrance- strengh -recovery 2gr/3gr peak 30'/45' elininate 90', after 500mg every hour until w/o or race is over
www.smart-drugs.net/rhodiola-rosea.htm

Gakic : increase strengh--endurance
www.gakic.com

ALA (alpha-lipoic acid): anti-oxident/ insuline- stimulant of glucose uptake.

Glutamine: 10gr to 20 gr daily -recovery

(Vit-C ,Vit-B ,Fish oil , Calcium)

I have been using those suppl. and they work well ;) .But with out the best training they will NOT do much to help you ?:eek:

Ride hard,:p Musher

I use NOxplode. I take a small amount after breakfast which helps me wake up, and also seems to help me limit my food consumption a little bit for the purpose of weight loss. I also take a decent amount before the majority of my rides. I suppose it makes a difference but I feel that most of it is psychological/motivational.

I feel that their dosage recommendations are a little extreme. When I started using it I hadn't used any caffeinated products for a couple years except for the occasional soda. A small dose would really jitter me out. Now I've gotten used to it, but I think their recommended dose is about twice what I take and it would probably bother me (and not feel very healthy.)

This stuff is alright in moderation but be gentle with yourself. I don't need my heart rate at 150bpm before I get on the bike.

I also take a mens daily multi vitamin, vitamin C, a vitamin B-12, and fish oil.

jakedouglas said:
I use NOxplode. I take a small amount after breakfast which helps me wake up, and also seems to help me limit my food consumption a little bit for the purpose of weight loss. I also take a decent amount before the majority of my rides. I suppose it makes a difference but I feel that most of it is psychological/motivational.

I feel that their dosage recommendations are a little extreme. When I started using it I hadn't used any caffeinated products for a couple years except for the occasional soda. A small dose would really jitter me out. Now I've gotten used to it, but I think their recommended dose is about twice what I take and it would probably bother me (and not feel very healthy.)

This stuff is alright in moderation but be gentle with yourself. I don't need my heart rate at 150bpm before I get on the bike.

I also take a mens daily multi vitamin, vitamin C, a vitamin B-12, and fish oil.Ih
I have used N-O for only 4 weeks and i have notice a nice surge of power, i am doing a cycle of 4 weeks on / 2 weeks off .

I take N-O with 3 caps of Vantage 45' before my daily LT W/O 1X30'/45' AT 330 TO 345 watts:) on my trainer .

I live in the cascade mt Was,and here its snowing & snowing:eek: .Musher

wdf, are those supplements harmfull at all!?

When Musher said the ' nice surge of power ' it scared the heck outta me man

neverquit said:
wdf, are those supplements harmfull at all!?

When Musher said the ' nice surge of power ' it scared the heck outta me man
You are a fany guy :D ,NO , those suppl. are not harmfull ,on the contrary, " nice surge of power" or nice increase of Energy :p let say like the Energyser bunny:D .

I use to take for training & racing : anti-fatigue & race cap from hammer nutrion and Optygen only for racing .

But know i use Vantage and NOxplode, those 2 suppl. work great together .

NO as one very inportante ingredient : L citrulline Mallate.

L-citrulline
1) Increase NO Production
2) Increase ATP and Phosphocreatine Recovery
3) Reduces Lactic Acid & Ammonia
L-citrulline work via convertion to arginine which promotes nitrogen balance as well as promoting PH balance for preventing FATIGUE .

So L-citulline and Vantague will do a great job as a combo;) . Ride Hard ,Musher

i've been taking beta-alanine, citruline malate, and cordyceps for about a month now. i like them, but i find that i have to relieve myself a lot...maybe 2-3 times on a 70-80 mile ride.
does anybody else have similiar results? i do notice that my avg power stays up and even rises 3-4 hours into a ride when on these supplements instead of dropping off at that point...ok for training but maybe not so good for races!

NO explode is essentially nitric oxide and creatine. Note that nitric oxide (NO) increases intraocular blood pressure which can lead to glaucoma, so if you take this supplement you should check your optic nerve health at least once a year. If your doctor notices any changes in the shape of your optic nerve stop taking NO. Creatine might be safe, but it does lead to water retention and it increases your mass (desirable perhaps if you are a body builder, not so much for cyclists).

Do a google search with nitric oxide glaucoma for more info on NO and glaucoma connection.

root said:
NO explode is essentially nitric oxide and creatine. Note that nitric oxide (NO) increases intraocular blood pressure which can lead to glaucoma, so if you take this supplement you should check your optic nerve health at least once a year. If your doctor notices any changes in the shape of your optic nerve stop taking NO. Creatine might be safe, but it does lead to water retention and it increases your mass (desirable perhaps if you are a body builder, not so much for cyclists).

Do a google search with nitric oxide glaucoma for more info on NO and glaucoma connection.
Hi root,

How is the weater in ontario ,got enough snow??.Thank you ,i did some search and in the articles they where not saying how much NO they using , anyway i am not using it on a regular bases,thank's again. Musher

I'm not a big fan of N.O. supplements (most research shows they're a bunch of bunk performance-wise -- they "feel" like they're doing something but they're not really accomplishing anything). You'll feel the caffeine in NO Explode, sure, but that's where the energy boost is coming from primarily.

Beta alanine, at high enough doses, was awesome for me muscular endurance-wise (something like 3,000 to 4,000 mg throughout the day). It's not an "energy" product int the typical sense, but more like a "muscular energy" product.

Best actual energy product I've ever used BY FAR was LightSpeed. (I found it through Google searching. Their website carries it, www.lightspeedlabs.com , and maybe one or two of the online supplement stores . . . ?) I think it might be primarily the sulbutiamine in it, as it doesn't have much caffeine, but you feel good HOURS into a ride at the point when you'd normally feel like your ass is kicked. Mild by modern stimulant standards, but keeps you going, and going, and going. Very effective, and very pleasant too.

Cordyceps was hit-and-miss for me. The first few times I used it I thought it helped a bit endurance-wise, but after that . . . nothing. Not sure if you can develop a tolerance to it easily? Anyone have any insight into that?

WOW, I never though NO Xplode would be used for cycling performance. I never knew nitric oxide type supplements did anything for endurance. Id say its the high levels of caffeine that does that. Would be much cheaper to just use no doze. Would be interesting to see if Gakic can help on a race day. Dont forget that you dont want to take something that allows you to do more without having the recooperating abilities and are working your way up incrementally to prevent injuries.

I hear Glutamine helps. Would pay to look into BCAA studies done on cyclist. But most studies done on BCAAs have participants come into the lab in a fasted state first thing in the morning and then deplete with cycling and base there studies on that. Not realistic in my opinion, and no credible evidence is available that I know of. During the ride they may prevent catabolism and will offer a source of feul to the muscles.They may help if your diet is lacking. Then again carbs would be cheaper as far as feul and they also spare muscle/protein catabolism for fuel.

Beta Alanine will help with endurance/cardio.

I also like to eat some good carbs the night before or 2 to 3 hours prior a ride. I use an N.O.called Jack3d (that's how it is spelled) both for my daily gym workout and cycling. NO-explode is high in sugar and is a cheaper made product. I get very shaky from NO-Explode and sick to my stomach. Jack3d N.O. is good for me, that being said Supplements are like saddles...what works well for me may not work for you. supplements work differently in each person and reacts differently. Supplements are a trial and error process.

Just be careful if you're drug-tested, whether for a sport you're competing in or by your employer. Jack3d contains methylhexamine, which IS on WADA's (World Anti-Doping Agency's) banned list. It is essentially amphetamine, only one teeny, tiny bit different with regard to chemical structure, but they're SO chemically similar, and behave exactly the same way in the body, that WADA banned it. A couple of sprinters on the Jamaican team (Usain Bolt's team) just got nabbed for using a product that contained methylhexamine while at the same time claiming in its advertising literature that it was A-OK for drug-tested athletes to use. Idiots.

Even if you're not drug-tested though, over time amphetamine usage (and methylhexamine usage) will fry your adrenals pretty good. It's harsh stuff. It's a quick lift, no doubt, but not something I would recommend.

So watch out for stuff that says it contains "geranium" or "geranium extract." That's referring to methylhexamine (also known as 1-3,
dimethylamylamine).

bianchi10 said:
I also like to eat some good carbs the night before or 2 to 3 hours prior a ride. I use an N.O.called Jack3d (that's how it is spelled) both for my daily gym workout and cycling. NO-explode is high in sugar and is a cheaper made product. I get very shaky from NO-Explode and sick to my stomach. Jack3d N.O. is good for me, that being said Supplements are like saddles...what works well for me may not work for you. supplements work differently in each person and reacts differently. Supplements are a trial and error process.

I would have to say that the best legal supplements for cyclists or sportspeople in general would have to be Usana supplements. They have proven to work for me. I wrote about my race day nutrition on my blog, which can be found here: Daniel Carruthers: Carruthers Podiums in Taiwan

Yes I am sponsored by Usana, but I was using Usana for one year before I was actually sponsored and already believed in their superior quality and performance.

I generally like to take the Essentials (multivitamin), fish oils (biomega 3), Active calcium, proflavonal 90 (grapeseed extract). The grapeseed extract is awesome for recovery after hard rides. Reduces inflammation in your muscles and promotes your immune system.

They do have an athletes guarantee --which means that if you are tested positive because of using Usana products, Usana has a one million dollar payout. This is how confident they are in their product.

Hello Friends....

Best Legal Supplements for Cyclists

1. Powerbar Performance Bar

2.Gatorade

3.Red bull

4.Liquid Whole Foods

5.Whey Protein

6.Fruta Vida

Thanks

The best supplement I have taken is the finest organic Fillet steak (proper good meat not junk from a supermarket, if sourced well you can tell it's the business), about two thirds of a whole fillet (about thirty quids worth from a good butcher) eaten extra to normal meals. I get about six small steaks out of this but it is so rich and full of Chi that I only need one a day for about a week. The effects are an increase in strength, stamina and well being combined with an increased sex drive and leaning of the body as a whole. I don't do this very often say one week out of eight to twelve.
Not really surprising that over the years your body has developed to make most use of what is naturally available is it?
I don't do vitamin supplements unless I'm unable to eat properly as I see anything artificial as being second best to very high quality food (which seems to cost either the same as or slightly less than suppliments)
The second suppliment would be the finest tea you can afford, I can recomend this one......
Buy Silver Needle - Yin Zhen Organic Tea Online - Cup of Tea

Proper tea is a very powerfull drink and I have found one really good cup of tea a day is sufficent to have a noticable effect on well being. Again with these things I don't have them constantly.
Finally the most difficult to source but most lovely suppliment is pure water. Unfortunately unless you are blessed to live in the highlands of Scotland and can drink straight from a freshwater loch high up in the hills (see me swimming on holiday on the Isle Of Skye below :D) the only other answer is a Reverse Osmosis System which does take out the goodness from naturally pure water but does also take out the POISONS that are in normal tap water. They don't cost the earth to run either.....
www.RO-MAN.com Reverse Osmosis Systems, RO systems in UK

Golly, now I have all sorts of important questions.

Doesn't filtering the water get rid of beneficial minerals? Can you please list the poisons in my water? Can you list the exposure allowed to said poisons?

What sort of device do you use to measure how rich and full something is of chi? Is it the same device someone would use to measure the amount of BS in a post?

:D You can purchase mineral packs for different types of water as you desire to replenish the minerals taken out. As for poisons there are many if you ask you can get a sample of your tap water tested at a lab and they tell you what is in it. It does change throughout the year so it might be worth doing this four times to see how levels fluctuate.
As for allowed exposures to poisons that depends upon where you live, each country sets different levels that are required to be met by the water supplier. What you will find is that the legal requirements for the purity of tap water are very low and the suppliers don't always have to meet them it is an average taken not a minimum level.
If you think Chi or Chinese medicine/philosophy is incorrect then cool it does not change the fact that some food is better for you than others.
Are you as horrible a person in real life as you are on the internet Alienator? I hope not, alot of the time the internet brings out the worst in people, other times it just lets them express who they are more completely.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in these forums, the pills with some sort of rather common herb or ingredient that helps with lactic acid. <---- It helps a little bit and might help more if I took it every day but I thought it was a wee bit pricey for what it did. I forget the name now. I also thought of the alternative of taking the cheaper single ingredient, I can't remember the exact name at all.

I also got Solaray Energy SP-15, real controversial ingredients on this one, Cayenne Peper and Eluethero which must be a Chinese Herb, maybe it's a ginseng.

The thing is, I've wanted to get away from the mega-stimulants, anything from energy drinks to NO Xplode and now, I think Monster has a Nitric Oxide drink which after not using NO Xplode for a long time, did get me up. Though, now, I've had so many of these kinds of things, they don't work over and over now. Like Redline, first time got me up, but now not so much.

So, rather than get hooked on that stuff, I'm looking to get more milder and hope I can pump my own self up enough.

Black Tea...

Also, check it out stimulant users and please I say this not to offend anyone, caffeine makes you ****, it relaxes your lower bowels or something, not always convenient. Our society has a real reliance on it. Heck, at times, I'm close to being a sugar addict too.