Best lube for road/wet?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
Curious what lube you use on road chains in the wet.

I was cleaning up after an uexpected rainstorm and noticed that my ProLink lube turned to glue/gum after a mildly wet ride. I normally lube up every other ride/wipe it down pretty good and was surprised how 'gummy' the residue was around the cogs on my rear derailleur.

Feel free to toss down whatever you use/how often you use it...Thx!

teamgomez said:
Curious what lube you use on road chains in the wet.

I was cleaning up after an uexpected rainstorm and noticed that my ProLink lube turned to glue/gum after a mildly wet ride. I normally lube up every other ride/wipe it down pretty good and was surprised how 'gummy' the residue was around the cogs on my rear derailleur.

Feel free to toss down whatever you use/how often you use it...Thx!
What will also surprise you is how quickly you can wipe off the old gummy ProLink with another application of ProLink. However, if you are going to ride a lot in the rain, then one of the wax based lubes would probably be better for you.

If you search chain lubes in this forum you will find that it has been extensively covered, several times a year for the past four years that I know of.

kdelong said:
What will also surprise you is how quickly you can wipe off the old gummy ProLink with another application of ProLink. However, if you are going to ride a lot in the rain, then one of the wax based lubes would probably be better for you.

If you search chain lubes in this forum you will find that it has been extensively covered, several times a year for the past four years that I know of.
Have used Rock and Roll Gold for a few years and it woirs a treat over the wet winter... it is a wax based lubricant!