best meter to get?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ashley Orange, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too many
    people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind she
    should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Lifescan Ultra or UltraSmart. I've used lots of meters (with the exception of the freestyle meters)
    and can't recommend ANY other meter over the Ultra's due to their reliability, accuracy,
    repeatability, and speed of results. Your friend CAN'T go wrong with either one; there are many on
    the market that are unreliable, and give flaky readings, which is the worst offense of all!

    dave

    Ashley Orange wrote:

    > One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too
    > many people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind
    > she should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

  3. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Ashley Orange wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too many
    >people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind she
    >should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

    Well, the "best" meter to get is one which her insurance will pay for, or which her insurance will
    pay for the strips.

    Otherwise, the Wal-Mart Relion is reliable and has about the cheapest OTC strips.

    The LifeScan Ultra and Accu-Chek Advantage are excellent brand name meters which can be purchased
    moderately cheaply via rebate offers or combo strip+meter deals, and their testing strips aren't too
    expensive if you buy them vial mail order from Hocks

    www.hocks.com

    Hocks often has the "best" currently available rebate or meter+strip offer presented on
    their web site.

    Click on the " blood glucose meter deals " link

    Regards
    Old Al

  4. from what testing I've done on the Advantage I'd like to share my opinion that it's flaky.

    dave

    oldal4865 wrote:

    > Ashley Orange wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >
    >>One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too
    >>many people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind
    >>she should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Well, the "best" meter to get is one which her insurance will pay for, or which her insurance will
    > pay for the strips.
    >
    > Otherwise, the Wal-Mart Relion is reliable and has about the cheapest OTC strips.
    >
    > The LifeScan Ultra and Accu-Chek Advantage are excellent brand name meters which can be purchased
    > moderately cheaply via rebate offers or combo strip+meter deals, and their testing strips aren't
    > too expensive if you buy them vial mail order from Hocks
    >
    > www.hocks.com
    >
    > Hocks often has the "best" currently available rebate or meter+strip offer presented on their
    > web site.
    >
    > Click on the " blood glucose meter deals " link
    >
    > Regards
    > Old Al

  5. Marshall

    Marshall Guest

    I've used them all (almost all)I'm impressed with the ULTRA SMART. Especially since I FINALLY got it
    working on my Mac OS.

    I'm curious about the mail in strip deal. I may try it. Anyone else try this hocks link?

    --
    http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/

  6. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >from what testing I've done on the Advantage I'd like to share my opinion that it's flaky.
    >
    >dave

    I've had good experiences with the Advantage, the Ultra and the Relion.

    My first Advantage lasted six years before the on-off switch got a bit touchy. The Advantage was
    always dead-on when I compared it with my periodic lab FbG. The Comfort-Curve strips are the way to
    go however.

    My Ultra is nice though the strips are outstandingly difficult to handle. Folks lacking arthritis
    might have better luck.

    All three of my primary meters, Adantage, Ultra and Relion agree very well with each other at low -
    normal -high bG. The Relion seems to chop off 10 mg/dL or so when much over 200 but that just means
    the one meter asserts that my bG is "too high" and the other asserts. . . surprise. . ., "too high".

    Regards
    Old Al

  7. did you ever make multiple back to back tests with the Advantage? how much deviation did you get?

    dave

    oldal4865 wrote:
    > Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >>from what testing I've done on the Advantage I'd like to share my
    >
    >>opinion that it's flaky.
    >>
    >>dave
    >

    > I've had good experiences with the Advantage, the Ultra and the Relion.
    >
    > My first Advantage lasted six years before the on-off switch got a bit touchy. The Advantage was
    > always dead-on when I compared it with my periodic lab FbG. The Comfort-Curve strips are the way
    > to go however.
    >
    > My Ultra is nice though the strips are outstandingly difficult to handle. Folks lacking arthritis
    > might have better luck.
    >
    > All three of my primary meters, Adantage, Ultra and Relion agree very well with each other at low
    > - normal -high bG. The Relion seems to chop off 10 mg/dL or so when much over 200 but that just
    > means the one meter asserts that my bG is "too high" and the other asserts. . . surprise. . .,
    > "too high".
    >
    > Regards
    > Old Al

  8. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >did you ever make multiple back to back tests with the Advantage? how much deviation did you get?
    >
    >dave

    Superior reproducibility. A given Advantage would reproduce within 5 mg/dL on multiple tests
    in the range 100 - 150 mg/dL. Two different Advantages would agree with each other within 10
    mg/dL and the variation seemed to be mostly a function of strips-exposed-to-atmospheric-
    moisture or not.

    You see posts which discuss the Manufacturers' "guarantees" that the meters are only good for 10% or
    15% or whatever. That's not been my experience with either the Advantage or the Ultra. Both of them
    are closer to 5% or less.

    I haven't done any back to back stuff with the Relion.

    Regards
    Old Al

  9. that sounds better than results I've seen. sounds pretty good as a matter of fact! But I'll stick
    with the UltraSmart. I'd sure like someon with the Flash to weigh in on that one for accuracy.

    dave

    oldal4865 wrote:

    > Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >
    >>did you ever make multiple back to back tests with the Advantage? how much deviation did you get?
    >>
    >>dave
    >>

    > Superior reproducibility. A given Advantage would reproduce within 5 mg/dL on multiple tests
    > in the range 100 - 150 mg/dL. Two different Advantages would agree with each other within 10
    > mg/dL and the variation seemed to be mostly a function of strips-exposed-to-atmospheric-
    > moisture or not.
    >
    > You see posts which discuss the Manufacturers' "guarantees" that the meters are only good for 10%
    > or 15% or whatever. That's not been my experience with either the Advantage or the Ultra. Both of
    > them are closer to 5% or less.
    >
    > I haven't done any back to back stuff with the Relion.
    >
    > Regards
    > Old Al

  10. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:53:39 -0500, "oldal4865" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >>did you ever make multiple back to back tests with the Advantage? how much deviation did you get?
    >>
    >>dave
    >>

    > Superior reproducibility. A given Advantage would reproduce within 5 mg/dL on multiple tests
    > in the range 100 - 150 mg/dL. Two different Advantages would agree with each other within 10
    > mg/dL and the variation seemed to be mostly a function of strips-exposed-to-atmospheric-
    > moisture or not.
    >
    >You see posts which discuss the Manufacturers' "guarantees" that the meters are only good for 10%
    >or 15% or whatever. That's not been my experience with either the Advantage or the Ultra. Both of
    >them are closer to 5% or less.
    >
    >I haven't done any back to back stuff with the Relion.
    >
    > Regards
    > Old Al

    Al, I have found several meter that exceed the published data. However I had a series of incidents
    where a tame acting meter suddenly would give me very high reading for a few hours. Then go back to
    good readings. I talked to the vendor and they expressed interest but no answer. For me, injecting
    insulin by the meter, it almost lead to excess insulin input. I still keep a second meter of a
    different make. and do a second test if things look odd.

    My preferred meter is the Ultra because of the design of the blood pickup area. But last week
    I had a bad reading probably caused be touching the pickup area, They do a poor job on
    packaging. Cheapppp.

    a second test on the Region was the correct reading as per later experience. All I can say is to use
    the meter you feel comfortable with. I suspect the bad reading had something to do with my body
    chemistry. Manufactures seem reluctant to go into that area. Guy.

  11. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:28:28 -0600, Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:53:39 -0500, "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
    >>>did you ever make multiple back to back tests with the Advantage? how much deviation did you get?
    >>>
    >>>dave
    >>>

    >> Superior reproducibility. A given Advantage would reproduce within 5 mg/dL on multiple tests
    >> in the range 100 - 150 mg/dL. Two different Advantages would agree with each other within 10
    >> mg/dL and the variation seemed to be mostly a function of strips-exposed-to-atmospheric-
    >> moisture or not.
    >>
    >>You see posts which discuss the Manufacturers' "guarantees" that the meters are only good for 10%
    >>or 15% or whatever. That's not been my experience with either the Advantage or the Ultra. Both of
    >>them are closer to 5% or less.
    >>
    >>I haven't done any back to back stuff with the Relion.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Old Al
    >>
    >Al, I have found several meter that exceed the published data. However I had a series of incidents
    >where a tame acting meter suddenly would give me very high reading for a few hours. Then go back to
    >good readings. I talked to the vendor and they expressed interest but no answer. For me, injecting
    >insulin by the meter, it almost lead to excess insulin input. I still keep a second meter of a
    >different make. and do a second test if things look odd.
    >
    >My preferred meter is the Ultra because of the design of the blood pickup area. But last week I had
    >a bad reading probably caused be touching the pickup area, They do a poor job on packaging.
    >Cheapppp.
    >
    >a second test on the Region was the correct reading as per later experience. All I can say is to
    >use the meter you feel comfortable with. I suspect the bad reading had something to do with my body
    >chemistry. Manufactures seem reluctant to go into that area. Guy.
    I was asleep at the wheel and let the spell checker change Relion to Region.,

  12. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Guy wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:53:39 -0500, "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >Al, . . . .(snip). . .. I still keep a second meter of a different make. and do a second test if
    >things look odd.
    >
    >My preferred meter is the Ultra because of the design of the blood pickup area. But last week I had
    >a bad reading probably caused be touching the pickup area, They do a poor job on packaging.
    >Cheapppp.
    . . .(snip). . .

    > Guy.

    My experience exactly. My inventory of six meters contains 5 different models from three
    manufacturers. Once I satisfied myself that they all gave comparable readings, I was able to use
    them as back-ups for each other rather than fiddling with calibration solutions.

    I only have strips for 3 of them right now.

    I agree with the Ultra strip comment. Those Ultra strips are murder to handle. I have "lost" more
    Ultra strips in the last 6 months than Accu-Chek strips in the last four years.

    Some time ago, I took a meter management survey as a favor to the Accu-Chek folks. They kept harping
    on the difficulties of handling strips which confused the daylights out of me. Then I picked up an
    Ultra and understood what Accu-Chek was talking about and why they thought the the no-strip-
    handling, Compact drum-type design was such an advance..

    I really got "whomped" this week by a horrendous low following a mystery high. I shot sliding scale
    corrective insulin without double-checking** (Hey, the Ultra is the best isn't it, just read the
    box). . .and spent more time than I'd like coming back from a low. If I were Hypo-unaware, it would
    have been EMS business. I now think the mystery high was a bad reading.

    (***This is a very complicated and stressful month in our family and I find other instances where I
    am not paying attention to "what is in front of me". Hmm. . .did I see somebody post "Be Aware" )

    Regards
    Old Al

  13. Igor

    Igor Guest

    [email protected] (Ashley Orange) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too
    > many people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind
    > she should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

    As I read through the thread I noticed that no one mentioned Freestyle or the new Flash meters,
    which are in my opinion superior in accuracy, enable alternative site testing and are the most
    gentle "vampires",
    i.e. require a really small amount of blood...

    Igor

  14. how much less blood does it require than an Ultra??

    dave

    Igor wrote:

    > [email protected] (Ashley Orange) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too
    >>many people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind
    >>she should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > As I read through the thread I noticed that no one mentioned Freestyle or the new Flash meters,
    > which are in my opinion superior in accuracy, enable alternative site testing and are the most
    > gentle "vampires",
    > i.e. require a really small amount of blood...
    >
    > Igor

  15. Tom

    Tom Guest

    The One Touch Ultra uses 1 micro liter while both the Freestyle and Flash only need 0.3 micro
    liters. Here's a link to a comparison chart.

    tom

    http://www.lifescan.com/products/meters/ultra_comp/

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > how much less blood does it require than an Ultra??
    >
    > dave
    >
    > Igor wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Ashley Orange) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>One of my friends was just diagnosed with diabetes and is very depressed. She doesn't know too
    > >>many people in the city and is looking for a glucometer. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind
    > >>she should buy? She's 23 years old if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >

    > > As I read through the thread I noticed that no one mentioned Freestyle or the new Flash meters,
    > > which are in my opinion superior in accuracy, enable alternative site testing and are the most
    > > gentle "vampires",
    > > i.e. require a really small amount of blood...
    > >
    > > Igor

  16. thanks for the info Tom. I wasn't aware there was a strip that could get by with less then my
    venerable Ultra.

    dave

    Tom wrote:

    > The One Touch Ultra uses 1 micro liter while both the Freestyle and Flash only need 0.3 micro
    > liters. Here's a link to a comparison chart.
    >
    > tom
    >
    > http://www.lifescan.com/products/meters/ultra_comp/
    >
    > "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>how much less blood does it require than an Ultra??
    >>
    >>dave
    >>
    >>Igor wrote:
    >>

    >>>[email protected] (Ashley Orange) wrote in message
    >
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >>>As I read through the thread I noticed that no one mentioned Freestyle or the new Flash meters,
    >>>which are in my opinion superior in accuracy, enable alternative site testing and are the most
    >>>gentle "vampires",
    >>>i.e. require a really small amount of blood...
    >>>
    >>>Igor

  17. Hi_therre

    Hi_therre Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:49:16 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The One Touch Ultra uses 1 micro liter while both the Freestyle and Flash only need 0.3 micro
    >liters. Here's a link to a comparison chart.
    >
    >tom

    1 uL or 0.3 uL sample size, 5 seconds or 7 seconds display time. Does it really matter? It is pure
    marketing so the manufacturer can demand a higher price for the product.

    All BG meters do the same thing - They measure blood glucose within the FDA guidelines.

    ALL BG meters have one other item which is common to all - They are all WAY overpriced.

    http://www.tcainternet.com/retired/index.html

  18. all meters are NOT created equal. many of them give wildly differing results from one test to the
    next. been there; done that. (and returned the offenders to the point of purchase for refunds)

    dave

    Hi_Therre wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:49:16 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>The One Touch Ultra uses 1 micro liter while both the Freestyle and Flash only need 0.3 micro
    >>liters. Here's a link to a comparison chart.
    >>
    >>tom
    >>

    > 1 uL or 0.3 uL sample size, 5 seconds or 7 seconds display time. Does it really matter? It is pure
    > marketing so the manufacturer can demand a higher price for the product.
    >
    > All BG meters do the same thing - They measure blood glucose within the FDA guidelines.
    >
    > ALL BG meters have one other item which is common to all - They are all WAY overpriced.

    > http://www.tcainternet.com/retired/index.html

  19. Guy

    Guy Guest

    I have done lab work and know how easy it is to contaminate samples. So I have always been concerned
    about the small sample size. I usually develop a larger sample drop than the minimum. Don't know if
    it is needed but it make me feel better. Guy

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:26:09 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >all meters are NOT created equal. many of them give wildly differing results from one test to the
    >next. been there; done that. (and returned the offenders to the point of purchase for refunds)
    >
    >dave
    >
    >Hi_Therre wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:49:16 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The One Touch Ultra uses 1 micro liter while both the Freestyle and Flash only need 0.3 micro
    >>>liters. Here's a link to a comparison chart.
    >>>
    >>>tom
    >>>

    >> 1 uL or 0.3 uL sample size, 5 seconds or 7 seconds display time. Does it really matter? It is
    >> pure marketing so the manufacturer can demand a higher price for the product.
    >>
    >> All BG meters do the same thing - They measure blood glucose within the FDA guidelines.
    >>
    >> ALL BG meters have one other item which is common to all - They are all WAY overpriced.

    >> http://www.tcainternet.com/retired/index.html

  20. i agree. i try not to squeeze just "enough" for the strip's minimum requirement for that very
    reason. good call, Guy.

    dave