Best mobile tool storage?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael, May 2, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I've accumulated quite a lot of specialized bike tools over the years. For a long time I've kept
    them in my large Craftsman tool chest in the garage, but lately I seem to be doing bike maintenance
    as much inside the house (may have been the tough winter...) and out in the world as in the garage.
    I'm thinking I'd rather have a tool box/bag for all the tools so I can carry them all with me
    wherever I'm going to need them.

    Seems like a good tool box/bag would to have storage for the bigger tools (chain whips, pedal
    wrenches), somehow keep the sets and related tools together (cone wrench sets, regular wrench sets,
    screwdrivers), yet have good storage for all the tiny tools (spoke wrenches, freewheel and BB
    removers) and the really tiny parts (ball bearings, spoke nipples, nuts & bolts). Maybe even hold
    the liquid products too (degreaser, lubes). And yet keep the tools easily accessible, not just
    dumped in a big pile.

    What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution? Any specific toolboxes, bags or
    whatever to recommend?

    Tags:

  2. Paul J Pharr

    Paul J Pharr Guest

    I don't have as many tools as you do, but I have larger tools like a chain whip, pedal wrench and
    assorted tools and small parts.You might take a look at some of the fancy fishing tackle boxes.
    They're cheap plastic, but mine has dividers, smaller divided containers, drawers with small
    compartments and a flip top lid that is self contained...works great for me...about $20.

    Cheers

    Paul J Pharr

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've accumulated quite a lot of specialized bike tools over the years. For a long time I've kept
    > them in my large Craftsman tool chest in the garage, but lately I seem to be doing bike
    > maintenance as much inside the house (may have been the tough winter...) and out in the world as
    > in the garage. I'm thinking I'd rather have a tool box/bag for all the tools so I can carry them
    > all with me wherever I'm going to need them.
    >
    > Seems like a good tool box/bag would to have storage for the bigger tools (chain whips, pedal
    > wrenches), somehow keep the sets and related tools together (cone wrench sets, regular wrench
    > sets, screwdrivers), yet have good storage for all the tiny tools (spoke wrenches, freewheel and
    > BB removers) and the really tiny parts (ball bearings, spoke nipples, nuts & bolts). Maybe even
    > hold the liquid products too (degreaser, lubes). And yet keep the tools easily accessible, not
    > just dumped in a big pile.
    >
    > What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution? Any specific toolboxes, bags
    > or whatever to recommend?

  3. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected]

    >What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution?

    I use a heavy cotton canvas military surplus tool bag with a rigid, reinforced bottom - about 12x6x6
    - and a heavy metal zipper. Longer versions also available. It has 4 (slot?) pockets on either side
    inside (about 3" deep) and 2 flapped outside pockets - about 6x4 - also on either side which close
    with snaps. It holds the longest tools - pedal wrench, chain whip, etc - with room to spare. Most of
    the tools are dumped in the main body of the bag...I'm not in it everyday.

    Sig Chicago

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Scic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >From: [email protected]
    >
    > >What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage
    solution?

    > I use a heavy cotton canvas military surplus tool bag with
    a rigid, reinforced
    > bottom - about 12x6x6 - and a heavy metal zipper. Longer
    versions also
    > available. It has 4 (slot?) pockets on either side inside (about 3"
    deep) and 2 flapped
    > outside pockets - about 6x4 - also on either side which
    close with snaps.
    > It holds the longest tools - pedal wrench, chain whip,
    etc - with room to
    > spare. Most of the tools are dumped in the main body of
    the bag...I'm not in
    > it everyday.

    I've become very fond of tool bags over the years, for all my various tool kits. They pack better
    because they're more compact, and can be jammed into odd spaces or luggage, unlike a big square box.
    The tools are kept organized, and don't rattle around. You can hang the bag up or spread it out
    while working, which makes access easier since you don't have to rummage through a box. Bags are
    less likely to scratch furniture or car paint. They stay put on tilted or moving surfaces, which is
    why they're great for boats. Even those little canvas bucket things with the pockets on the outside
    are great.

    I can't recommend any specific brands, but ones from Park or whoever would be appropriately sized
    and shaped for bike tools. It might be more expensive to buy this boutiquey stuff, but if cycling is
    a lifetime pursuit, then the long term investment is worth it.

    Matt O.

  5. I keep everything in a Husky (Lowe's brand) three drawer tool box. It won't fix every bike on the
    market (how did you amass so many tools?), but it's enough for my two machines, and I can carry it
    on trips to far off rides, for that surprize repair that always seems to pop up the night before,
    regardless of how well you care for it!