Best mobile tool storage?

Michael

Guest
I've accumulated quite a lot of specialized bike tools over the years. For a long time I've kept
them in my large Craftsman tool chest in the garage, but lately I seem to be doing bike maintenance
as much inside the house (may have been the tough winter...) and out in the world as in the garage.
I'm thinking I'd rather have a tool box/bag for all the tools so I can carry them all with me
wherever I'm going to need them.

Seems like a good tool box/bag would to have storage for the bigger tools (chain whips, pedal
wrenches), somehow keep the sets and related tools together (cone wrench sets, regular wrench sets,
screwdrivers), yet have good storage for all the tiny tools (spoke wrenches, freewheel and BB
removers) and the really tiny parts (ball bearings, spoke nipples, nuts & bolts). Maybe even hold
the liquid products too (degreaser, lubes). And yet keep the tools easily accessible, not just
dumped in a big pile.

What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution? Any specific toolboxes, bags or
whatever to recommend?

I don't have as many tools as you do, but I have larger tools like a chain whip, pedal wrench and
assorted tools and small parts.You might take a look at some of the fancy fishing tackle boxes.
They're cheap plastic, but mine has dividers, smaller divided containers, drawers with small
compartments and a flip top lid that is self contained...works great for me...about $20.

Cheers

Paul J Pharr

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've accumulated quite a lot of specialized bike tools over the years. For a long time I've kept
> them in my large Craftsman tool chest in the garage, but lately I seem to be doing bike
> maintenance as much inside the house (may have been the tough winter...) and out in the world as
> in the garage. I'm thinking I'd rather have a tool box/bag for all the tools so I can carry them
> all with me wherever I'm going to need them.
>
> Seems like a good tool box/bag would to have storage for the bigger tools (chain whips, pedal
> wrenches), somehow keep the sets and related tools together (cone wrench sets, regular wrench
> sets, screwdrivers), yet have good storage for all the tiny tools (spoke wrenches, freewheel and
> BB removers) and the really tiny parts (ball bearings, spoke nipples, nuts & bolts). Maybe even
> hold the liquid products too (degreaser, lubes). And yet keep the tools easily accessible, not
> just dumped in a big pile.
>
> What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution? Any specific toolboxes, bags
> or whatever to recommend?

>From: [email protected]

>What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage solution?

I use a heavy cotton canvas military surplus tool bag with a rigid, reinforced bottom - about 12x6x6
- and a heavy metal zipper. Longer versions also available. It has 4 (slot?) pockets on either side
inside (about 3" deep) and 2 flapped outside pockets - about 6x4 - also on either side which close
with snaps. It holds the longest tools - pedal wrench, chain whip, etc - with room to spare. Most of
the tools are dumped in the main body of the bag...I'm not in it everyday.

Sig Chicago

"Scic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >From: [email protected]
>
> >What have people found to be the best mobile tool storage
solution?

> I use a heavy cotton canvas military surplus tool bag with
a rigid, reinforced
> bottom - about 12x6x6 - and a heavy metal zipper. Longer
versions also
> available. It has 4 (slot?) pockets on either side inside (about 3"
deep) and 2 flapped
> outside pockets - about 6x4 - also on either side which
close with snaps.
> It holds the longest tools - pedal wrench, chain whip,
etc - with room to
> spare. Most of the tools are dumped in the main body of
the bag...I'm not in
> it everyday.

I've become very fond of tool bags over the years, for all my various tool kits. They pack better
because they're more compact, and can be jammed into odd spaces or luggage, unlike a big square box.
The tools are kept organized, and don't rattle around. You can hang the bag up or spread it out
while working, which makes access easier since you don't have to rummage through a box. Bags are
less likely to scratch furniture or car paint. They stay put on tilted or moving surfaces, which is
why they're great for boats. Even those little canvas bucket things with the pockets on the outside
are great.

I can't recommend any specific brands, but ones from Park or whoever would be appropriately sized
and shaped for bike tools. It might be more expensive to buy this boutiquey stuff, but if cycling is
a lifetime pursuit, then the long term investment is worth it.

Matt O.

I keep everything in a Husky (Lowe's brand) three drawer tool box. It won't fix every bike on the
market (how did you amass so many tools?), but it's enough for my two machines, and I can carry it
on trips to far off rides, for that surprize repair that always seems to pop up the night before,
regardless of how well you care for it!