Best / Most Comfortable Cycling Shorts

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave & Denise K, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if
    you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it or
    email me directly.

    Tags:

  2. robroy

    robroy New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    I have found that it is not necessarily cost that provides a comfortable ride. Everyone is different and what Lance wears doesnt mean it will work for you. By the way I dont suspect that Lance has paid for a pair of bike shorts in a long long time.

    Stopping short of employing someone to remove the seat out of ya butt at the end of the ride ensure that the padding in the shorts is actually covering your seated asset. Like you said on long rides everything goes numb regardless of what you are wearing

  3. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    > rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    know
    > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    post
    > it or email me directly.

    Any 100% cotton shorts will do, preferably, cut off Levis.

    Dashii

  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Unfortunately, shorts are like saddles. There IS no one "most comfortable" pair. Personally, I do
    best on one with a thin "chamois", like the Trek Criterium. The ones with the pads, even the shaped
    ones, tend to bunch up and chafe me. I had a buddy who forgot his shorts on an "event ride" and
    ended up with some high-end Nike's with a relatively thick shaped pad. It rained, and he said it was
    like sitting on a wet diaper.

    "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    > rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but
    > if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it
    > or email me directly.

  5. "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    > rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    know
    > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    post
    > it or email me directly.

    It matters little which shorts you buy.

    The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is between your skin and the lycra.

    Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one size
    does not fit all.

    My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives you the least amount of
    saddle sores is the best.

    good luck!

  6. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    >> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    > know
    >> you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    >> to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    > post
    >> it or email me directly.
    >
    > Any 100% cotton shorts will do, preferably, cut off Levis.
    >
    > Dashii

    I prefer cut off corduroys myself. I like that "zip zip..." sound it makes when they rub against the
    saddle and top tube. I'm pretty sure these are what Lance uses also, so you've *got* to use them.

    - Boyd S.

  7. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:FD%[email protected]:

    > "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    >> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what,
    >> but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    >> post it or email me directly.
    >
    > It matters little which shorts you buy. The most important thing is the underwear. After all
    > that's what is between your skin and the lycra.
    >
    > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
    > size does not fit all. My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives
    > you the least amount of saddle sores is the best. good luck!

    I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers boxers under his riding
    shorts. So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).

    Hope this helps,

    - Boyd S.

  8. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <FD%[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    > know
    > > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    > post
    > > it or email me directly.
    >

    > It matters little which shorts you buy.
    >

    > The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is between your skin and
    > the lycra.
    >

    > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
    > size does not fit all.
    >
    > My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives you the least amount of
    > saddle sores is the best.

    Huh? You're not supposed to wear underwear under cycling shorts.

    I bought a pair of shorts with a gel pad from Performance Cycle for $45 or so, and I've been *very*
    happy: no saddle sores, and only minimal chafing on 100+ mile hilly rides. I disagree with the
    premise that you'll "go numb on long rides no matter what."

    Bike fit is important, too. If your bike is fit poorly, that can cause problems.

    Lastly, a different saddle might help.

    This thread reminds me of the guy that finished a half-ironman and then was complaining afterwards
    that he couldn't get an erection. I thought he was joking, but then I realized he *had* spent a long
    time in the port-a-potty.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  9. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Dave & Denise Kother wrote:

    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > long rides.

    Dunno, but cheap stuff works pretty well for me, like on-sale stuff from Performance. So I usually
    pay between $15 to $30 for shorts. So I would try "cheap" and if it doesn't work, try to think of
    why and then visit your LBS to try on whatever seems like it might be better.

    > What does Lance Armstrong wear?

    Who cares?

    > I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, ...

    You might, but I don't. If this is so, then maybe you need to also consider you saddle. Again, all
    will likely say "it is personal perference," and maybe that is so. I have a theory about it.

    You need the weight pressure to be resting on the sit bones (ischeal tuberosities). You don't want
    too much padding because too much will cause you to "sink down" such that some of the pressure is on
    the soft tissue. (Of course, you don't want to rest all that weight on soft tissue.) So I believe a
    saddle should *not* have a lot of padding, and it should be somewhat flat and wide -- especially
    towards the back -- enough such that you can tell you are "on the sit bones."

    Contrary to popular opinion, racing saddles are not necessarily uncomfortable despite their cut
    down, low padded look. For myself, I've found the Flite SLR to be the best so far for me (the
    regular Flite was the best I'd tried before the SLR). Note its "wide and flat" low padded surface.
    There is no substitute for a proper saddle -- take a good look at many of them and see what the LBS
    might be able to do for you. I'm willing to try cheap there, but so far that tact has proven
    unsuccessful for saddles.

    For those not wont to riding, soreness around the sit-bone tissue will occur initially for a
    properly fitted saddle and shorts. But this tissue can be toughened in the same way the finger tips
    of a guitarist get toughened from playing. There is no problem with that and the soreness should
    shortly subside (a week or so).

    > ...but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    > post it or email me directly.

  10. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:FD%[email protected]:

    > > "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > >> long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter
    > >> what, but if you know of
    some
    > >> comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it or email me
    > >> directly.
    > >
    > > It matters little which shorts you buy. The most important thing is the underwear. After all
    > > that's what is
    between
    > > your skin and the lycra.
    > >
    > > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
    > > size does not fit all. My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one
    gives
    > > you the least amount of saddle sores is the best. good luck!
    >
    > I've got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend that LANCE prefers
    boxers under his riding shorts.
    > So, you *must* use boxers (not just tighty whities).

    thank you for your input.

    One other thing:

    Women may prefer wearing a thong. So do some men (though not many).

    That unfortunate rider/hiker who met his untimely demise last month was one of the male
    thong-wearers.

  11. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    > rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but
    > if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was to know. If you have any suggestions, please post it
    > or email me directly.

    Some of the other posters are having some fun with you. Presumably they get a kick out of giving
    dodgy advice to someone who might not know any better. I wonder if they do this in real life, or
    only when protected by the anonymity of Usenet.

    Anyway, don't wear anything under your knicks unless you really do want the extra chafing to give
    you saddle sores.

    HTH,

    &roo

  12. By RBR standards the OP isn't being laughed at at all. To the contrary, there isn't bigger wisdom to
    spread over this than the reactions here. .. when choosing, have a close look at the inside (quality
    chamois , placing of seams). It won't matter much for the rest. Even with top quality many will get
    troubles at some point. Just ask Triple Dekker. There are products to wipe in the area. I also heard
    shaving your nuts can be helpful.

  13. "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
    > > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    know
    > > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    post
    > > it or email me directly.
    > >
    > Some of the other posters are having some fun with you. Presumably they get a kick out of giving
    > dodgy advice to someone who might not know any better. I wonder if they do this in real life, or
    > only when protected by the anonymity of Usenet.
    >
    > Anyway, don't wear anything under your knicks unless you really do want the extra chafing to give
    > you saddle sores.

    Add to that you want shorts with more "panels". A panel is a section of cloth sewn in to the final
    design. Cheap shorts are made from as few as 4 panels and don't fit very well. Another choice is the
    choice of padding and it is largely personal.

    My personal favorite is the Pearl Izumi Microsensor 3D Short. But remember, you pay for what you get
    and that short is pricey. The Ultrasensor might be a more reasonably priced option.

    James

  14. Dave Rusin

    Dave Rusin Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dave & Denise Kother <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    >long rides.

    Gee, reading all the responses, I have to wonder: am I the only one who just climbs on a bicycle and
    rides away? I wear the same K-mart shorts I wear to work in the yard. I've ridden a half-dozen
    centuries this summer that way (up a sesquicentennial, actually :) ). I mean, just how much
    specialized gear is a person supposed to own when he doesn't ride bikes for a living? I've got a
    budget to keep.

    dave ("and tighty-whities too")

  15. In rec.bicycles.rides Dave & Denise Kother <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for long
    > rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know

    I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had great success with the
    Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles. http://www.performancebike.com They really are designed
    for centuries!

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email protected] [email protected]md.edu 685 W.Baltimore Str
    http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)

  16. I remember seeing someone on a charity ride with panty hose under the bike shorts. Hum!

    Lanny "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:FD%[email protected]...

    > "Dave & Denise Kother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    > know
    > > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    > post
    > > it or email me directly.
    >

    > It matters little which shorts you buy.
    >

    > The most important thing is the underwear. After all that's what is
    between
    > your skin and the lycra.
    >

    > Personally, I prefer tighty whities. Some of the pros I know use boxers though, so clearly one
    > size does not fit all.
    >
    > My suggestion is to try the boxers and the briefs and whichever one gives you the least amount of
    > saddle sores is the best.
    >

    > good luck!

  17. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Didier A. Depireux <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In rec.bicycles.rides Dave & Denise Kother <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I know
    >
    > I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had great success with the
    > Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles. http://www.performancebike.com They really are
    > designed for centuries!

    Those are decent quality-especially for their price. I get Voler shorts through our team and they're
    very good shorts. You can buy Voler shorts online at their website.

    -WG

  18. "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave & Denise Kother wrote:
    > > I'm looking for some feedback on what are the most comfortable cycling shorts, especially for
    > > long rides. What does Lance Armstrong wear? I
    know
    > > you will go numb on long rides no matter what, but if you know of some comfortable shorts, I was
    > > to know. If you have any suggestions, please
    post
    > > it or email me directly.
    > >
    > Some of the other posters are having some fun with you. Presumably they get a kick out of giving
    > dodgy advice to someone who might not know any better. I wonder if they do this in real life, or
    > only when protected by the anonymity of Usenet.

    Dumbass -

    I got one of my very good friends to wear tighty whities.

    Before you get your little panties in a wad, he closes the window before he farts in my house.

  19. Mrbubl

    Mrbubl Guest

    How do they do the kilo on a 285 meter track like the one they are using at World's, given that

    1000/285 = 3.5087719 laps?

    Do they just do 3.5 laps (997.5 m) and project the time out to 1000 m?

    -CM

    Christopher Moyer

  20. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I doubt your derriere is as tough as Armstrong's! For my part, I have had great success with the
    > Century Shorts sold by Performance Bicycles. http://www.performancebike.com They really are
    > designed for centuries!

    Start with these. They work for me and don't cost nearly as much as the big name brands. I have worn
    Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau shorts which, while comfortable, cost a lot more and did not wear
    nearly as well as the Performance shorts. I did not find them much more comfortable than the
    Performance shorts either.

    Padded shorts won't do much to keep you from going numb. Going numb on a long ride is preventable,
    though. The nose of your saddle may be too high. I also find that riding out of the saddle a bit
    every few miles helps.

    My experience has been that saddles with too much padding have caused me more problems than firmer
    saddles. Many modern saddles have a slot or channel down the middle to relieve the pressure that
    causes numbness.

    Dick "I should know" Durbin