Best MP3 player

Booner

Guest
Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd be using it during my training so it needs to
be tough :)

It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some good tunes.

Booner

Don't go anywhere near a Rio. I have had nothing but problems with my Rio900 M~

"booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
be
> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>
> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
good
> tunes.
>
> Booner

II have and Iriver (www.iriveramerica.com) iFP-395T -- at 512Mb, almost too much room :). It came
with an arm band strap and neck chain -- I only use the arm-band....

Nice UI, pretty easy to understand -- and on a NiMh rechargeable (from panasonic) it can go for days
with out recharging (single AA battery).

One thing to note, it's not square -- I thought it was -- it is more trangular shaped.

All in all I like it alot.

Wim

"Wim Colgate" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> II have and Iriver (www.iriveramerica.com) iFP-395T -- at 512Mb, almost too much room :). It came
> with an arm band strap and neck chain -- I only use the arm-band....
>
> Nice UI, pretty easy to understand -- and on a NiMh rechargeable (from panasonic) it can go for
> days with out recharging (single AA battery).
>
> One thing to note, it's not square -- I thought it was -- it is more trangular shaped.
>
> All in all I like it alot.
>
> Wim
>
> "booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
>> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
>> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
> be
>> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>>
>> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
> good
>> tunes.
>>
>> Booner

Glad to hear it. After deciding an i-pod was overkill, this is what I ended up getting my wife
for x-mas.

Side note: I hope you aren't running or riding the roads with earphones on. It's not a great idea.

Tom

"Wim Colgate" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> II have and Iriver (www.iriveramerica.com) iFP-395T -- at 512Mb, almost too much room :). It came
> with an arm band strap and neck chain -- I only use the arm-band....
>
> Nice UI, pretty easy to understand -- and on a NiMh rechargeable (from panasonic) it can go for
> days with out recharging (single AA battery).
>
> One thing to note, it's not square -- I thought it was -- it is more trangular shaped.
>
> All in all I like it alot.
>
> Wim
>
> "booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
>> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
>> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
> be
>> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>>
>> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
> good
>> tunes.
>>
>> Booner

Glad to hear it. After deciding an i-pod was overkill, this is what I ended up getting my wife
for x-mas.

Side note: I hope you aren't running or riding the roads with earphones on. It's not a great idea.

Tom

I've also got an iFP series iRiver (but just a cheapy 180T). Great purchase for exercise - very happy with it, particularly the FM reception

Cletus

"booner" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
be
> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>
> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
good
> tunes.
>
> Booner

on a road bike i use apple ipod 40gb. it is a big heavy, but contains many features.

--
kind regards kai baumgartner [ valid and working email can be found here: www.3athlon.de or
www.lightweight-premium-dealer.com ]

I am very happy with my RCA Lyra. Have had it for over a year and use it while running.

"booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
be
> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>
> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
good
> tunes.
>
> Booner

The Nike PSA works well for me. It doesn't have an FM radio but it is very durable. I have the PSA
64 (which they don't sell anymore) and can squeeze a little over an hours worth of music on it. With
the PSA128 or PSA256 you should have more than enough music for a workout.

"booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
> Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone would
> have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
be
> using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
>
> It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
good
> tunes.
>
> Booner

I'm a liitle disappointed with the Rio Cali. I was attracted by its aesthetics (Black and OD Green
color, sporty rubber/plastic chassis), its functionality (belt clip and arm band), its
non-proprietary standard interfaces (USB 1.1 and SD/MMC), and its reputation (Rio 500, et al).
However, it does NOT permit the use of the SD/MMC card for transfer, only storage.

The SD/MMC does not use FAT (and I believe it does not use ext2 either, at least my zaurus PDA can't
detect it). Therefore one is not able to use a laptop SD/PCMCIA port directly to put songs onto the
card -- the USB cable must be used.

I had hoped to purchase several SD cards so that I could swap them out when I want to hear something
else. But it seems that the SD memory is merged with the internal memory and that any swapping will
"break" the file system.

Another design flaw (or "feature") is that in order to add/remove/replace the SD card one has to:
- open the battery compartment
- remove the AAA cell
- remove the SD/MM card
- replace the AAA cell
- reinstall the battery compartment cover
- reset the internal clock (or else it will display the wrong time and date - Jan 01 midnight)

I also don't like having to reset the time whenever I replace the batteries every other day.

It also throw every track into a flat file system (no visible subdirectories) and it does NOT allow
album play. A computer must be used to manually create a playlist for each album or you will have to
hear your Fleetwood Mac interspersed with your Youssou Ndour, Beethoven, Tilahun, and Guthrie. On
the positive: battery life is excellent, well over 11 hours for one AAA (I've accidently left mine
on for over 24 hours and it was still playing)

very happy with my IRiver, though you should probably get at least 128 memory so you don't have to
play the same songs over like me! and, i put plastic cling wrap around mine when i work out to keep
sweat out of it.

"Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1lzxb.237321$mZ5.1793604@attbi_s54>...
> I am very happy with my RCA Lyra. Have had it for over a year and use it while running.
>
> "booner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ta7xb.116153$Dw6.538123@attbi_s02...
> > Finally going to break down and get an MP3 player (with FM tuner) and was curious if anyone
> > would have any recommendations (there are so many)? I'd
> be
> > using it during my training so it needs to be tough :)
> >
> > It certainly helps the training to get a little extra energy from some
> good
> > tunes.
> >
> > Booner

I couldn't disagree more. I purchased Rio's for my wife and I and have also updated each with 256mb
of memory (memory available even at Costco for about 40 bucks). The 128mb version of the Rio
upgraded to 256 will be good for 80-90 songs. The newest software for downloading is easy to use.
Both have worked very well..no trouble. We chose flash memory devices for durability reasons.

PS: The newest Rio just got a PC Magazine's Editors Choice Award

In the hard drive genre you might check out the new Dell models. They have been well received and
are easier to use with Windows than the IPod.

Here's the link to PCMag.com's MP3 player product reviews:
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,2359,00.asp

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Don't go anywhere near a Rio. I have had nothing but problems with my Rio900 M~

"Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1lzxb.237321$mZ5.1793604@attbi_s54>...
> I am very happy with my RCA Lyra. Have had it for over a year and use it while running. <Snipped
> by rsquared>

I also purchased an RCA Lyra. I really only use it for the mag-trainer in the garage. I have had
some setbacks that probably apply to ALL makes & models, specifically:

My PC is an Intel P2, with a little over 300 MB RAM. Although the documentation says Windows 98SE is
supported by the MP3 creation App, it can be a little unstable and time consuming.

A standard memory chip upgrade is available, but I have not purchased one; I just don't use it for
extended periods.

This was my first "personal-music-device", so I went conservative. It was very reasonably priced. I
think it was around $80 at my local Walmart.

rsquared

Well, speaking from my own experiences with the product:

I have never gotten more than 2.5 hours of life from the recharegeable battery. And they say it
should be good for over 11 hours. And that is with all the options turned off. One day the Rio
decided that it no longer wanted to have a capacity for 190 megs. It now wanted to give me 250 megs.
Then one day after that, it decided it wanted to go back to 190 megs, however, it insisted that
40megs were in use even though nothing was on the player itself. So now my 190 meg MP3 player is
only a 150 meg player. If I use the WMA file format, the songs "skip".

I imagine I got a lemon, but in my opinion, a company only gets one shot to show off their
product to me.

news:[email protected]...