Best multi tool for touring

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> For what it's worth, nobody seems to be taking the high road on multi-tools.
> You'd think by now somebody would come out with a $100 unit with carbon
> fiber shell and titanium bits & pieces (where appropriate). People shell out
> tons of money on helmets, so it's curious to me that someone doesn't tap a
> similar market for tools.

butbutbut, the tools are actually useful. [end troll]

POST FREE OR DIE!

yeah, i could get up the bucks for a battery powered hex key set, very
pop with the sat phone crowd.
say too where did Chisholm escape? Michoacan?

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

> say too where did Chisholm escape? Michoacan?

Most likely here: <http://www.campyonly.com/images/factory/campag1.jpg>.

POST FREE OR DIE!

datakoll wrote:
> my touring background, while basically minding my own business,
> includes Wournos and friends, a favorite campsite now has credits for
> rape and murder, 5 attacks by 7 or more thugs - all held off with
> machete and gas - and one drive by shooting where a bullet went past
> my head - drive by led in by our favorite Sheriff no less, and a shoot
> out with a creep with a .357 revolver.
> I saved a beloved corner marker palm with hardwood peg artery surgery
> - he was bleeding to death - from another moron who had his kid shot
> it with a 9mm.
> I don't see why this isn't normal touring, it's normal here.

Aileen Wournos? For a riding partner? Good story I bet!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

datakoll wrote:

> whose Mercader? a booking agent for St. Barts?

The guy who stuck an ice ax in Lev Trotsky's head at the behest of Uncle
Joe.

POST FREE OR DIE!

On Dec 21, 6:14 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wro
> You'd think by now somebody would come out with a $100 unit with carbon
> fiber shell and titanium bits & pieces (where appropriate). People shell out
> tons of money on helmets, so it's curious to me that someone doesn't tap a
> similar market for tools.

Helmets are fashion items (and visible). Tools are utilitarian.

DR

On Dec 23, 11:24 pm, DirtRoadie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 6:14 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wro
>
> > You'd think by now somebody would come out with a $100 unit with carbon
> > fiber shell and titanium bits & pieces (where appropriate). People shellout
> > tons of money on helmets, so it's curious to me that someone doesn't tapa
> > similar market for tools.

> Helmets are fashion items (and visible). Tools are utilitarian.
>
> DR

I have whipped out my Leatherman, a real cheap one I picked up from
roadside, in public libraries of 3 different cultures and received a
"hey wow lookit the Leatherman" from adjacent proletariat.
to fix the floppy ingester.
?
is that what happens when you tote your helmet?

what hotel is he staying at??
sounds like an interesting dude.
buy him a drink.

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

You.

POST FREE OR DIE!

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> The oddest tool I ever had a use for was a small adjustable wrench,

Now you're talkin' silliness, son. That's the tool to start with,
before you add such things as hex keys and screwdrivers.

> He got a flat rear tire, which was when I noticed the rear wheel didn't
> have a quick-release! 15 mm nuts on each end of the axle, like a BMX or
> something.

That's what bikes have when they are intended for serious business and
not just fooling around.

> Hooray for the Clé Anglaise!

The "French wrench" also works to toe brake calipers and true
chainrings. In a pinch, you can use it to true a wheel.

I recently bought a Bontrager Satellite Elite saddle, which is
basically a flip-top box in the shape of a saddle. It's the one that
comes on the Trek Lime. Because of its inordinately thick foam
cushioning, and its foam cushion lining inside, it isn't too generous
with useful interior volume. I hoped I'd be able to carry a spare
700x40 tube, a small crescent wrench, a set of hex keys, a patch kit,
and maybe a micro-pump or CO2 inflator and a couple of cartridges. No
dice. The tube alone pretty much filled the thing up.

I did, however, score a stubby 15mm combination wrench that fits in
there nicely alongside the tube. That means I'm just one frame-
mounted pump away from having all I really need to feel confident
using the bike for transportation.

I hope some other manufacturer copies the saddle-as-box concept but
builds in more room. If the Satellite Elite were a little longer and
had a lot less than 1-1/2" thick padding, it would begin to make sense
as a container for a well-rounded onboard tool kit.

Chalo

cmcanulty wrote:

> Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
> Especially for touring

For best price and function, you can't beat a real tool roll. A set
of Allen keys from 2mm to 8mm, 6" adjustable wrench or selection of
combination wrenches, 4-in-1 screwdriver (I guess that's a multi-
tool), real spoke wrench, real chain tool, tire levers, and patch kit
are a good start. Roll them all in a cloth carrier made of some
washable fabric that you can use to wipe the grease from your hands.
Lash it to your handlebars or under your saddle rails, or just toss it
in a pannier. It makes quick work of jobs that would take a long
frustrating time with a multi-tool.

Chalo

In article
<6afa78a1-8806-4bac-9d54-176c8186ea43@s48g2000hss.googlegroups.com>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> cmcanulty wrote:
> >
> > Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
> > Especially for touring

> For best price and function, you can't beat a real tool roll. A set
> of Allen keys from 2mm to 8mm, 6" adjustable wrench or selection of
> combination wrenches, 4-in-1 screwdriver (I guess that's a multi-
> tool), real spoke wrench, real chain tool, tire levers, and patch kit
> are a good start. Roll them all in a cloth carrier made of some
> washable fabric that you can use to wipe the grease from your hands.
> Lash it to your handlebars or under your saddle rails, or just toss it
> in a pannier. It makes quick work of jobs that would take a long
> frustrating time with a multi-tool.

My Crank Bros tool cost about $25, and it works surprisingly well, The
open end wrenches (8 and 10 mm) are the most marginal tools: I'm
suspcious that they would spread if I needed to really torque or
untorque something.

However, it's rather smaller than my mobile phone. The nice thing is
that if, like me, you're haunted by owning too many bicycles (and
switching between them routinely), you want a tool that's so small
you'll take it, and so compact it can go from bike to bike easily.

If I was touring, I'd probably want an adjustable wrench, and I'd
probably carry a few odd other things.

But my feeling is that for all but the most unsupported Arctic tourists
(I'm thinking of fix-bike-or-die situations), a kit's purpose is to get
you back on the road, however hobbled, in a not unreasonable amount of
time, and in the direction of the nearest bike shop.

Some rides call for more, but the only mechanical failures I've ever
walked away from were a second flat tire on a wet day (I had patches,
but couldn't keep the affected area dry enough to patch, and I knew I
was only a km or so from the nearest dry bike shop) and foolishly
allowing my rear derailer to come in contact with my rear spokes. After
the derailer, chain, and half the spokes in my rear wheel were wiped
out, I don't think much was likely to help. This was indeed my
low-spoke-count (24 rear) race bike, but in that case I was riding to a
race.

When I rebuild the wheel, I think I'll add a spoke guard,

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Chalo Colina wrote:
> I hope some other manufacturer copies the saddle-as-box concept but
> builds in more room. If the Satellite Elite were a little longer and
> had a lot less than 1-1/2" thick padding, it would begin to make sense
> as a container for a well-rounded onboard tool kit.

On late fall rides when mid-day temperatures would be much higher than
early morning or late afternoon, I can stuff both a fleece jacket and
pants into the seat of my RANS Rocket, with room to spare.

POST FREE OR DIE!

touring tool selection is evolutionary over time. The Chalo-Cousineau
views are touring-racer. The touring is too heavy and the racer leaves
you stranded.
Where you evolve too depends on who you are, for example how strong
are you. Does pedaling 6 tool pounds ontop of a propane stove bottle,
a tent, sleeping bag... My rig weighs 50 plus pounds at the no food
carried level. Not cafe touring but over the road camping.
The more weight carried, the more tools needed. The less dependence on
outside help the more everything.
Then you can wine country tour on a LeMond with a credit card (the
keyboard incysts on typing credit cad)and go backpacker ultralight
filing grams of the chain tool and toothbrush, punch holes in the
prophylactics...

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:37:26 -0800 (PST), Chalo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The "French wrench" also works to toe brake calipers and true
>chainrings. In a pinch, you can use it to true a wheel.

My nipples don't like the thought of that.