Best multi tool for touring

Chalo wrote:
> There are specialized locking pliers that are designed to do a
> wrench's job:
> http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100328
> I don't think that is what Gene is talking about, though.

I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent
twenty years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a
socket which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!).
I never saw an actual example.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Dec 25, 12:17 pm, "Barry" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent twenty
> > years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a socket
> > which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!). I neversaw
> > an actual example.

> Like this?
>
> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947078000P

the hook jaw visegrip and gator socket have apps for trips to other
countries

A Muzi wrote:

> I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent
> twenty years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a
> socket which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!).
> I never saw an actual example.

My mom bought me one of those called "Gator Grip". It's the sort of
tool that sort of works when you haven't got a better option
available. Not surprisingly, it has a happier time with some size
fasteners than with others.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gatorgrip.html

It does not "make half of your tool box obsolete" as claimed. But it
also doesn't chew up nuts and bolt heads nearly as badly as a normal
Vise Grip does.

Chalo

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:05:42 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:14:35 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> >wrote, part:
> >>
> >>If I was touring, I'd probably want an adjustable wrench, and I'd
> >>probably carry a few odd other things.

> >My seat bag contains a 6" Crescent brand adjustable wrench.

> Dear Ryan & Zoot,
>
> Real bike mechanics carry a proper 55-lb wrench to fit nuts and bolts:
> http://www.trygve.com/ted_godofbikerepair.jpg
>
> They also wear appropriate safety helmets and chain mail:
> http://www.trygve.com/ted003.jpg
>
> Details about Ted, the Norse God of Bicycle Repair and Maintenance,
> are quite a ways down:
> http://www.trygve.com/costume.html
>
> The Spanner of the Gods cost $7.50 at a garage sale.

The best part of the Spanner of the Gods is that it is a real,
functional (55 pound!) tool. I love the novelty-sized tools that exist
thanks to the needs of heavy machinery.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 25, 2:19 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>
> > I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent
> > twenty years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a
> > socket which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!).
> > I never saw an actual example.

> My mom bought me one of those called "Gator Grip".  It's the sort of
> tool that sort of works when you haven't got a better option
> available.  Not surprisingly, it has a happier time with some size
> fasteners than with others.
>
> http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gatorgrip.html
>
> It does not "make half of your tool box obsolete" as claimed.  But it
> also doesn't chew up nuts and bolt heads nearly as badly as a normal
> Vise Grip does.
>
> Chalo

you know, if you're so clumsy with vice grips then grind the teeth out
and use it as an adjustable wrench, or flatten the teeth. fillaten the
middle or rear teeth? grips are squooze down on the nut after knurling
the handles outwards then sqoozing down.
maybe your nuts are soft? ever think of that? lowwwwwww grade nuts.

Barry wrote:
> Like this?
> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947078000P

Yep, I wonder if that's what Ryan meant
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:12:33 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> I disagree. And that goes whether you meant "wrench" or "wench."
>>> Vise-grips are the mother of all pliers, while adjustable wrenches are
>>> the worst tool with which I will happily turn a nut or bolt.
>>> Well, maybe one of those magic pin-sockets,

>Chalo wrote:
>> There are specialized locking pliers that are designed to do a
>> wrench's job:
>> http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100328
>> I don't think that is what Gene is talking about, though.

>I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent
>twenty years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a
>socket which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!).
>I never saw an actual example.

Dear Andrew,

Here's mine with a cheap spoke wrench stuck in it:

http://i1.tinypic.com/8a219o6.jpg

Each pin is spring-loaded.

Darned handy with damaged nuts on motorcycles and trailers at the
trailhead and weird fittings can't be grabbed with vise grips.

Also quick and useful when strange lawnmowers, ancient sprinklers, or
rusty bicycles wander into my garage and I can't find my 11/17ths
socket to fit that 16.5 mm nut.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

datakoll wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > My mom bought me one of those called "Gator Grip". It's the sort of
> > tool that sort of works when you haven't got a better option
> > available. Not surprisingly, it has a happier time with some size
> > fasteners than with others.

> >http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gatorgrip.html

> > It does not "make half of your tool box obsolete" as claimed. But it
> > also doesn't chew up nuts and bolt heads nearly as badly as a normal
> > Vise Grip does.

> you know, if you're so clumsy with vice grips then grind the teeth out
> and use it as an adjustable wrench, or flatten the teeth. fillaten the
> middle or rear teeth?

The jaws of a locking pliers will only ever be parallel at one single
width, which is why grinding the teeth off doesn't hlep in most
cases. That's also why the one for using as a wrench has a 60 degree
hooked jaw opposite a rounded jaw-- so it can get two flats and one
line of contact on the fastener no matter the size.

> grips are squooze down on the nut after knurling
> the handles outwards then sqoozing down.

I understand the principle. But there is no mistaking a nut that has
been tightened or loosened using a Vise Grip, no matter how careful
the technique. The pliers' teeth bite in. Even an adjustable wrench
messes up a fastener's head most of the time if it is used to apply or
break full fastener torque.

> maybe your nuts are soft? ever think of that? lowwwwwww grade nuts.

There are good reasons to use relatively soft nuts. Using nuts softer
than the fasteners they thread onto means that thread damage can
usually be repaired by simply replacing the nut. A soft nut limits
the clamping force that can be applied to a joint before the thread
pulls out, which can protect things from being crushed or deeply
indented. Stainless nuts are a nice feature, but if you want
stainless you'll have to accept that the metal is soft.

Chalo

On Dec 25, 3:49 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> datakoll wrote:
>
> > Chalo wrote:

> > > My mom bought me one of those called "Gator Grip".  It's the sort of
> > > tool that sort of works when you haven't got a better option
> > > available.  Not surprisingly, it has a happier time with some size
> > > fasteners than with others.

> > >http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gatorgrip.html

> > > It does not "make half of your tool box obsolete" as claimed.  But it
> > > also doesn't chew up nuts and bolt heads nearly as badly as a normal
> > > Vise Grip does.

> > you know, if you're so clumsy with vice grips then grind the teeth out
> > and use it as an adjustable wrench, or flatten the teeth. fillaten the
> > middle or rear teeth?

> The jaws of a locking pliers will only ever be parallel at one single
> width, which is why grinding the teeth off doesn't hlep in most
> cases.  That's also why the one for using as a wrench has a 60 degree
> hooked jaw opposite a rounded jaw-- so it can get two flats and one
> line of contact on the fastener no matter the size.
>
> > grips are squooze down on the nut after knurling
> > the handles outwards then sqoozing down.

> I understand the principle.  But there is no mistaking a nut that has
> been tightened or loosened using a Vise Grip, no matter how careful
> the technique.  The pliers' teeth bite in.  Even an adjustable wrench
> messes up a fastener's head most of the time if it is used to apply or
> break full fastener torque.
>
> > maybe your nuts are soft? ever think of that? lowwwwwww grade nuts.

> There are good reasons to use relatively soft nuts.  Using nuts softer
> than the fasteners they thread onto means that thread damage can
> usually be repaired by simply replacing the nut.  A soft nut limits
> the clamping force that can be applied to a joint before the thread
> pulls out, which can protect things from being crushed or deeply
> indented.  Stainless nuts are a nice feature, but if you want
> stainless you'll have to accept that the metal is soft.
>
> Chalo- Hide quoted text -

if the teeth are filed flat...
file the teeth flat then get back to us..
you didn't file the teeth flat.
did you?
this is a lot of specious theorizing like tires create vacuums

different metals for nuts bolts cawses gauling?

grade 7's and up turn tun turn on locktite or neverseize and frankly
if if file the teeth flat 7's and ups shouldn't disgrace you
although commercially it's a dud unless the fastner's are replaced
as an unseen charge

ach. i missed it.
the grips are set on a nut or the flats so the flat's corner goes
precisely into the tooth's valley, limiting damage and increasing
grip.
to the point where resistance rips the corner off the cheap soft
disgusting nut.
the same idea I guess as the hooked jaw tool.
I was parking next to the SNAP-ON man in Port St John's
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...47&spn=0.042548,0.086689&z=14&iwloc=addr&om=1
so i went over to get small Snap-on vice grips.
did that get his eyes rolling:unavailable due to excessive cost.

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I couldn't find a photo (mercifully defunct??) but there was a patent
> >> twenty
> >> years ago on a wrench system with a couple dozen small pins in a socket
> >> which would surround a bolt head (any size! SAE, WW or metric!). I never
> >> saw
> >> an actual example.

> Barry wrote:
> > Like this?
> > http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947078000P

> Yep, I wonder if that's what Ryan meant

That be he. I thought there were high-end versions with more pins
(meaning better conformance to odd fasteners), but I couldn't find any
evidence of such beasts.

Got vise-grips, a toolbox, and Super 77 adhesive for Christmas,

On Dec 26, 12:46 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Barry wrote:
> > > Like this?
> > >http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947078000P

> > Yep, I wonder if that's what Ryan meant

> That be he. I thought there were high-end versions with more pins
> (meaning better conformance to odd fasteners), but I couldn't find any
> evidence of such beasts.
>
> Got vise-grips, a toolbox, and Super 77 adhesive for Christmas,
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

you're spending the week in Venice?

Duh, see <http://sheldonbrown.com/fastercard/>.

On Dec 24, 7:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Well, the best "multi-use 'tool'" would be a Credit card, don't you
> think?
> Can we get a flame war going whether VISA vs. MasterCharge (sic) is
> best?
>
> But to answer the question seriously, I would have to go w/ Chalo and
> the tool-roll approach. (Rivendell sell or used to sell a product for
> just this application.
>
> Pureheart

KNOW THE OLD BRIT movies when Sahib walks in and the natives kneel and
groan, foreheads touching floor?

cmcanulty wrote:
> Can we discuss the best overall multi tool, price, weight, functions?
> Especially for touring

That would be the Gerber Cool Tool. See
"http://www.valuumall.com/gerbmulti2.htm", second from the bottom.