Best MUni saddle

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by AscenXion, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    Alright, I've done the obligatory forum searching, found out most of the
    information I was looking for. But I decided it would still be worth my
    while to drop a line out there and see what bit.

    I just got to thinking today what saddle arrangement I'd go with next,
    if and when my current Qu-Ax one breaks. I started out about an hour
    ago, vaguely knowing what existed, but not at all how it fit together.
    I now know vaguely how stuff fits together, as well. :)

    I am still having a bit of troubles figuring out all the different
    pieces that can go into a saddle and which to be used with what, and so
    on. So, basically. I would like a saddle 101 lesson as to what makes up
    a very good MUNi saddle, how brand A works with brand B, how important
    is the ability to tilt the saddle, carbon fiber vs stiffener, reeder vs
    deathgrip?

    So, everything that you guys got about saddles and MUni. Oh, and also,
    will the Qu-Ax seat be upgradable at all, or will I just start from
    scratch? And remember, variety is the spice of life. Lotso answers are
    mucho better than just saying, "yeah, I agree THAT is the best nuff
    said"

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers wrote:
    > You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    > of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    > AscenXion.

    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

  2. musketman

    musketman Guest

    Iam using a KH gel seat and it pretty nice,but recently i have made an
    airseat and no other seat compares to an airseat. I feel like i could
    go 1000 miles and not be sore.

    --
    musketman

    MUSKETMAN
    www.unicycle.com

    For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
    musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

  3. Derek52287

    Derek52287 Guest

    musketman wrote:
    > Iam using a KH gel seat and it pretty nice,but recently i have made an
    > airseat and no other seat compares to an airseat. I feel like i could
    > go 1000 miles and not be sore.

    Yeah, I just converted my fusion saddle to an airseat with a 12" tube
    in a sock, and it's just awesome. I haven't tried gel yet though. But I
    know i'm never going back to foam.

    --
    Derek52287
    Derek52287's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12036

  4. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    base:
    as far as i know all kh seat's and kh clones use the exact same shape.
    If you arent doing much hopping droping and aren't a weight weenie this
    base is all you'll ever need.

    stiffener plates give a nice feel, but still flex a little and weigh a
    ton. if you want a stiff unbreakable seat get the carbon fiber base
    you'll save weight over plastic too. I like the kh style cf base over
    the miyata because it is narrower and the kh foam will fit.

    Scott Wallis Designs Derail base. This base is deisgned after Zack
    Baldwin's Direct connect idea. this base is the best money can buy,
    Scott's quality of construction is as good as carbonfiber gets. it is
    the lightest and when paired with a thomson post, strongest way to go.

    padding:
    I have tried a few air seats which feel great at first because they are
    super cushy, but once you get a few miles down the trail, you may
    notice that comes at a cost. with air seats, your "sit bones" sink into
    the seat while your weight rests on your softer areas. feels good at
    first, but believe me it gets old (like a waterbed for your crotch).
    not only that, but you get bounced around by the seat where foam wants
    to absorb the impact.

    the best seat I have felt without modification is the new kh
    dual-density pad. it's thin, and dosent have the crazy concave that the
    original kh does. There is a layer of soft padding with firm padding
    underneath which is great because you dont sink into the seat as much.

    my favorite way to go is buy one of the fatty kh seats, and shave the
    padding down to whatever shape is best for the style of riding i plan
    on doing. on my Muni right now i have it cut so there is no concave at
    all till it has to curve up to meet the handle. I still have some fine
    tuning to do (rounding edges, thinning the sides), but it feels great
    so far. I strongly suggest shaping your own seat out of the fatty foam
    pad to fit your body and style of riding. going this route severly
    reduces the need for an adjustable post.

    Handles:
    Miyata handle feels nice to my hand compaired to other plastic handles,
    but the plastic isn't very strong.

    Kinport handle is strong, and fits miyata bolt patern, but does not fit
    the shape of your hand at all. the version without the hole is
    especially uncomfortable your fingers get jammed in the bottom of the
    cut out.

    kh handle gets the job done, nothing super special.

    Reeder handle is great, and you can use bike grips, it is heavy though.
    recomended only for use with carbonfiber bases, the torque this thing
    gives you will kill plastic bases. Will not fit any factory bolt
    patterns (you have to drill your base).

    Scott Wallis Designs death grip handle feels incredible (only ergonomic
    handle around), i don't have much experience with this handle, but i
    have destroyed a carbonfiber rear bumper on concrete, so i would only
    use this handle in the dirt. No hole in this handle either, so if you
    have long fingers, they can get jamed in the top.

    seatpost adjustment:
    having an adjustable post is nice because you get to fine tune the nose
    angle on your seat. you will need a heavy steel rail adapter to use an
    adjustable (bike) seat post. the exception to this is if you are crafty
    or have a scott wallis derail base wich allows a thomson post to be
    directly attached to the base bypassing the rail clamps.

    Tilting the seat nose-up lessens the amount of pressure pushing your
    balls into the front upcurve of the seat. a slight upward angle in the
    back is nessesary to cradle you in the seat somewhat so it dosen't feel
    like you will slide off the back. with an adjustable post, you get to
    decide what the best angle is for you. Again, carving a good shape out
    of your foam can acomplish a satisfactory angle with a fixed post.

    Any more questions?

    --
    onetrack

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil

    I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but
    unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it
    the dioflip
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  5. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

  6. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:19:53 -0500, onetrack wrote:

    (good stuff snipped)

    >Any more questions?

    That was very informative, thank you.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "I'm slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil"

  8. mornish

    mornish Guest

    I'm also planning to make a gel/ tempur pedic memory foam seat. we'll
    see how to works.

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  9. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    onetrack wrote:
    > Any more questions?

    Just one, can I have your number so that whenever I have a question I
    can call you? :) That was the most concise helpful answer to a question
    I have ever received.

    I was wondering a lot of things that you answered directly, so thanks
    for not making me have to post them. And the foam carving idea is
    brilliant. I've been wondering the same type of thing, why you couldn't
    just use a bike seat with some sort of front attachment to make you not
    fall out, never thought of the easiest thing, to just carve a piece of
    foam myself.

    So, what advantage does the derail base have over the cheaper cf bases
    if I don't care about the tilt option and I'm not planning on doing
    anything crazy enough to break any of the cf bases out there.

    Also, I think I really like the Reeder handle. The DeathGrip is nice,
    but I think I'd prefer a bar. So, is there anything other than weight
    that makes the Reeder bad? And I've also read that the DG can get
    slippery when you have sweaty hands, and I sweat like a beast, so any
    reality to this? Basically, Reeder vs DeathGrip? Pros and cons...

    About the Road relief, is that a god among saddles? And how useful for
    MUni is it? I doubt I'd ever spend that much on a saddle, but I figure
    it's always good to know.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers wrote:
    > You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    > of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    > AscenXion.

    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

  10. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I'm using a stock nimbus gel seat and I really like it. I'm thinking of
    > upgrading to CF wath a deathgrip handle in the future though. those are
    > awesome!
    >
    > I like the nimbus gel more than the new Kh fusion becuase it's firmer
    > but comfier, insanely skinny, and barely chaffes.

    Anyone who weighs more than him wanna corroborate his opinion?

    So, what about a custom fitted foam piece under a gel insert? And if
    so, what cover do you use? Will a fusion cover fit this, or would
    something more custom have to be used?

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers wrote:
    > You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    > of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    > AscenXion.

    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

  11. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    AscenXion wrote:
    > So, what advantage does the derail base have over the cheaper cf bases
    > if I don't care about the tilt option and I'm not planning on doing
    > anything crazy enough to break any of the cf bases out there.

    I guess the next advantage is that you can get a derail base that's
    pre-drilled and SS threaded inserts are epoxied in place. With this
    setup, all you need to attach the seatpost, bumper and handle are
    screws. No drilling, no filing, no carriage bolts, no nuts... no mess,
    no fuss! You'll be getting a ready-to-ride base, rather than a blank
    piece of material that needs careful reworking before it can be used...
    and if you mess up, well, you might end up with a less-than-optimal
    setup.

    > So, is there anything other than weight that makes the Reeder bad? And
    > I've also read that the DG can get slippery when you have sweaty hands,
    > and I sweat like a beast, so any reality to this?

    Think of the Reeder as a fishhook waiting to snag anything as it shoots
    out from underneath you. It's weight makes it a bit of a weapon... and
    you could end up bruised as a result. As for the slipperiness of the
    DG, it's a non-issue... you should be wearing gloves. If you aren't
    you're asking for a world of hurt.

    > About the Road relief, is that a god among saddles?

    It is the La-Z-Boy of unicycle saddles, where everything else is a
    misshapen, hard wooden barstool.

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  12. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    maestro8 wrote:
    > I guess the next advantage is that you can get a derail base that's
    > pre-drilled and SS threaded inserts are epoxied in place. With this
    > setup, all you need to attach the seatpost, bumper and handle are
    > screws. No drilling, no filing, no carriage bolts, no nuts... no mess,
    > no fuss! You'll be getting a ready-to-ride base, rather than a blank
    > piece of material that needs careful reworking before it can be used...
    > and if you mess up, well, you might end up with a less-than-optimal
    > setup.
    >

    > Think of the Reeder as a fishhook waiting to snag anything as it shoots
    > out from underneath you. It's weight makes it a bit of a weapon... and
    > you could end up bruised as a result. As for the slipperiness of the
    > DG, it's a non-issue... you should be wearing gloves. If you aren't
    > you're asking for a world of hurt.
    >

    > It is the La-Z-Boy of unicycle saddles, where everything else is a
    > misshapen, hard wooden barstool.

    Alright, yeah, I wasn't thinking of all the good of the Derail base. I
    guess that's definitely in the running then.

    What about the roadrelief for Muni, though, it's still god? And what
    makes it so good, couldn't it be copied by molding foam?

    I'm not worried about weight of the Reeder at all, and I'm also not
    worried about hurting myself with it. And not to be rude (although most
    of you know that that's my speciatly :) )but what exact world of hurt
    am I headed for without gloves? I don't and won't wear them, so I'm
    just curious how going a maximum of 10 mph is going to rock my world if
    I fall?

    I mean seriously, if we're worried about hurting ourselves, we
    shouldn't be on ONE wheel. I REFUSE to use ANY kind of protection what
    so ever...

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers wrote:
    > You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    > of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    > AscenXion.

    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

  13. Monocyclist

    Monocyclist Guest

    You don't have to be going fast to hurt yourself. If you're doing muni,
    theres no chance of really skinning up your hands on anything..unless
    you fall on a rock or something...however you'll be wishing you were
    wearing gloves if you upd and land hands first on a few thorns or sand
    burrs which has happened enough times to me to make me wanna wear
    gloves.

    --
    Monocyclist

    Was Derek52287(not that anyone knew me anyway)
    Monocyclist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13114

  14. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    AscenXion wrote:
    > I'm not worried about weight of the Reeder at all, and I'm also not
    > worried about hurting myself with it.what exact world of hurt am I
    > headed for without gloves? I'm just curious how going a maximum of 10
    > mph is going to rock my world if I fall?

    I've been riding street with a reeder handle since it came out and
    Chris Reeder was making them. I have had plenty of nasty falls, and the
    handle has never been an issue. I rode without gloves most the time,
    grip was never a problem. The only thing I have against it is that it
    gets in the way for flatland tricks, but you won't be doing any
    flatland on your muni.

    You will have to do some modification if you go this way. You'll have
    to (well, you should) cut it shorter so it doesn't stick out much past
    your fist when you're griping it. And you'll have to drill your own
    mounting holes.

    I have limited experience with the deathgrip handle, so I can't comment
    too much other than how awesome feels in my hand. that said, I love
    being able to wrap my fingers around a bar.

    --
    onetrack

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil

    I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but
    unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it
    the dioflip
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  15. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    onetrack wrote:
    > I've been riding street with a reeder handle since it came out and Chris
    > Reeder was making them. I have had plenty of nasty falls, and the
    > handle has never been an issue. I rode without gloves most the time,
    > grip was never a problem. The only thing I have against it is that it
    > gets in the way for flatland tricks, but you won't be doing any
    > flatland on your muni.
    >
    > You will have to do some modification if you go this way. You'll have
    > to (well, you should) cut it shorter so it doesn't stick out much past
    > your fist when you're griping it. And you'll have to drill your own
    > mounting holes.
    >
    > I have limited experience with the deathgrip handle, so I can't comment
    > too much other than how awesome feels in my hand. that said, I love
    > being able to wrap my fingers around a bar.

    Thanx for justifying my thoughts.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers wrote:
    > You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    > of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    > AscenXion.

    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

  16. Monocyclist

    Monocyclist Guest

    Since I've finally had experience with an air saddle, I might as well
    give you my opinion. Air saddles really really blow. I bought a fusion
    saddle and converted it to air with a 12 inch tube(which is plenty, but
    then again I haven't tried a 20 inch). I had the tube like shaped
    perfectly too, I had about 3/4 of it in a couple layers of socks, and
    the rest of it was pushed down to fit the perimeter of the back of the
    seat. It looked perfect. No lumps or anything, it basically looked like
    foam.

    I mounted the thing, and initially your like wow, this is very very
    comfortable, and think you could ride for miles. I took it for its
    first official test and after 40 minutes of riding I was disgusted at
    such a waste of time it was to make that seat. All I could think about
    was saddle soreness, and my ride was miserable.

    Next one I want to try is the nimbus gel, I've heard a lot of good
    things about that. But for now my dx seat, or fusion seat stock are the
    most comfortable ones I have. The foam is much harder than air, yet I
    can ride for so much longer.

    So, I'd say don't go with air if you were condering it.

    --
    Monocyclist

    Was Derek52287(not that anyone knew me anyway)
    Monocyclist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13114

  17. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Personally I'm stock KH fusion seat all the way. The newest nice shaped
    one.

    Airseats are rubbish, they're spoingy and you lose control. You just
    end up spending the whole ride standing up for control and to stop
    being bounced off, where on the normal seat you'd have sat down for
    half of it. They feel nice to start with, but once you get to the point
    of actually riding long distances, something more stiff is the way to
    go.

    I'd also really really recommend *never* having an airseat that doesn't
    have any foam in, because you will only piss off the people you ride
    with when you have to fix an airseat flat half way through the ride.

    Some people tilt them up for comfort using a rail adapter, I've got one
    with, one without and it doesn't make much difference for me, have done
    10 hour rides on both. Maybe the tilted up one is slightly more comfy.

    I've ridden with a reeder handle and with similar home made handles on
    unicycles I've borrowed and found they were okay, but not so much
    better than stock KH that I bothered getting one. I think if you do big
    hops and drops they'd make a difference though. The only downside I
    found to them is that they have a tendency to hit you on every UPD and
    you get a bruise in the inner thigh from where they hit you. I think
    you've gotta be careful about how you mount them to avoid this.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  18. AscenXion

    AscenXion Guest

    joemarshall wrote:

    > I've ridden with a reeder handle and with similar home made handles on
    > unicycles I've borrowed and found they were okay, but not so much
    > better than stock KH that I bothered getting one. I think if you do big
    > hops and drops they'd make a difference though. The only downside I
    > found to them is that they have a tendency to hit you on every UPD and
    > you get a bruise in the inner thigh from where they hit you. I think
    > you've gotta be careful about how you mount them to avoid this.
    >
    > Joe

    I could see that maybe it'd be bad if I rode the other way around. But
    whenever I fall, I make a concerted effort to grab the back-right of
    the seat, as I'm going down, with my right hand and swing it around the
    right side of me back to the front. And since I'd have a right handed
    Reeder, my left leg would be well free from the fishook, and my right
    leg would just slide along it.

    What about a Reeder and just a stiffner plate? And if so, what kinds of
    bases can I get stiffener plates from? And if only Miyata as UDC would
    suggest, how can I make that base more like a KH?

    --
    AscenXion