best Muni under $500?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Duncan, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    I'm pretty new to unicycling, but I'm in it for the long
    haul. I can now free mount my 24" Savage, and ride off road.
    I also managed to strip the threads out of my left crank,
    where the pedal screws in. I am fixing it, but I feel the
    call of a new Muni... So, I'm asking for advice, as I'm
    looking to get a Muni, 24" or 26" and I can spend around
    $500. I'm 5'10, 165lbs. I will be using it for riding off
    road, with my mtn bike friends, and continuing my learning
    progression. What are your recommendations for my new Muni?

    --
    duncan
    duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518

  2. Tennisgh22

    Tennisgh22 Guest

    definitely kh24

    i did about a month of nonstop reasearch on this subject
    (looking for munis at a price below 500), and it came down
    to the onza 24" and the kh24. i ended up going with the kh24
    because it had the 3 inch wheel instead of the 24x2.6 on the
    onza. also, there are just a ton of reviews out there on the
    internet (of the kh24), and all the buyers were VERY
    satisfied and loved their kh24. i was unable to find hardly
    any reviews for the onza 24" :(

    its pretty amazing that we both had 24" savages and wanted
    to upgrade to a muni less than 500$

    the kh24 is 449 and the onza is 399, but you just can't go
    wrong with the kh24. its got the amazing kh seat that is
    constantly raved about; its got a mount for a brake if you
    really get serious; the problems about the ankle-biting nubs
    has been fixed with the new generation; the wheel is 24x3;
    and most importantly its kris holm!! :)

    i hope i've convinced you. believe me, i've done all the
    research. you can waste a month of your life doing the same
    research as me but you'll just come up with the same
    answer: the kh24

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  3. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    The 'Kris Holm 24 inch muni'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=619) is the
    best choice for a sub $500 muni. Heck, it's the best choice
    for a sub $800 muni.

    The KH muni is currently out of stock. I believe the new
    ones are going to have ankle friendly cranks. The first
    generation KH cranks have a nub that sticks out. That nub
    can bang up your ankles. The next generation cranks should
    fix that problem.

    The KH is a strong muni. It will be able to take abuse. For
    aggressive riding it can't be beat (at least not in the sub
    $500 price range). You can do jumps, do drops, abuse it, and
    it will come back for more.

    The KH 24 isn't the best muni for all situations. If your
    intent is to ride dirt roads and buff trails then a 26" or
    29" muni might be better. What makes for the "best" muni
    does depend on how and where you're going to ride it. For
    most people and for most riding the KH 24 is the best, but
    there are situations where a different muni would make
    more sense.

    What kind of trails are you going to ride? How aggressive do
    you plan on getting? Do you want to plow over things or go
    for speed? Smooth buff trails or rocky rooty trails? Steep
    trails or flat trails? All that makes a difference for
    determining what's the best muni.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  4. Bugman

    Bugman Guest

  5. Onewheeldave

    Onewheeldave Guest

    Have a look at the Yuni/Nimbus; cheaper than the KH by a
    long way, but still excellent machines.

    They won't stand up to massive drops, but if you don't do
    big drops they're good- mines lasted 3 years of pretty much
    daily riding on and off road.

    Plus, if you get a 28" frame, with the money saved you could
    get another wheel (maybe a 29-er with short cranks) for
    variety as well as a muni wheel. Plus the essential tools
    (eg crank puller etc).

    But, if you're wanting the big drops, go for something
    stronger.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  6. Zod

    Zod Guest

    The KH24 gets my vote too! Other than breaking the seat
    which seems to be common law, it has held up VERY well! I
    ride about 15+ miles a week of very rough/rooty trail with
    some North Shore stuff and it handles the damage I throw at
    it! I'd buy another before I bought anything more expensive.

    --
    zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

  7. Chirokid

    Chirokid Guest

    Hi Duncan. Ignore all these previous posts and listen to me. The KH24
    is the best Muni under $500.00. :D --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  8. Tennisgh22

    Tennisgh22 Guest

    ignore everyone's previous post except for chirokid, zod, bugman, john
    childs, and myself :)

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  9. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    I would probably have to agree with the others, if price (as
    long as it is under $500) is no object.

    I am intrigued by an offering at Municycle.com called the
    Qu-ax. It has a splined hub/crank set which owners report is
    very solid. The frame is a knee-knocker, but the web-site
    says it can give you another frame if you like. The fat
    frame comes with brake bosses. You can get it with Magura's
    and a 3" Gazzalodi for under $500, or brakeless with a 3"
    Duro for just under $300.

    I had a rim shipped from them not long ago which arrived in
    California in under 3 weeks (from Germany). Shipping was
    reasonable.

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

  10. Lutz

    Lutz Guest

  11. Vivalargo

    Vivalargo Guest

    The KH25 is the bomb, but if you get a Gaz tire, a Mag.
    brake, and the rail adapter for the seat (all three are
    vaulable upgrades of for step terrain), the price will be
    closer to 650 bones.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  12. Wendino

    Wendino Guest

    Hi,

    Lutz wrote:
    > *I think the best choice is the Onza, it is lighter than
    > the KH, had a 36 splinted hub and you can easy upgrad it
    > with a 3.0 inch wheel.
    >
    > Lutz *

    the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim. Not the best chois for a
    big 3.0" tire.

    Roland

    --
    wendino - Der Einradladen

    'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
    wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689

  13. Tennisgh22

    Tennisgh22 Guest

    vivalargo wrote:
    > *The KH25 is the bomb, JL *

    yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably
    extremely rare and worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 ;)

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  14. Vivalargo

    Vivalargo Guest

    tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *
    >
    > yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably
    > extremely rare and worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 ;)
    >
    > -grant *

    Right you are. I've got the only one. But I hear the KH24 is
    basically the same MUni, just an little smaller than mind.

    JL

    --

  15. wendino wrote:
    > *the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim.*
    I think it's an Alex double wall jobby, I can't see it
    being that bad.

    Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either one
    of them will do the job nicely.

    John

    --
    johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

    What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

  16. Phil

    Phil Guest

    johnhimsworth wrote:
    > *Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either
    > one of them will do the job nicely. *

    In which case the onza wins hands down. Just -look- at those
    oh-so-shiny cranks! Mmmmmmm.... *dribbles*

    I carry a small polishing kit when muni-ing to ensure the
    cranks always look their finest. No good getting any of this
    dirty mud stuff on them, you know.

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  17. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    I now have a KH 24 wheelset on my Yuni frame. This is an
    excellent set-up, weighing less than the KH frame. You can
    order this frame, a KH seat, and seat-post and a KH wheelset
    if you want to save a few bucks. The Yuni frame works great
    for one-footing.

    I think that the 24" Onza comes with an Alex rim that is
    narrower than the DX 32, and that it might not work that
    great with a 3" tire, since fat tires on narrower rims tend
    to fold on side-hops. I definitely prefer the 3" tires over
    the 2.6's or 2.7's

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

  18. Duaner

    Duaner Guest

  19. It fits with everthing supplied, but the spacers that fit in the larger
    KH bearing housings stick out so it looks a bit odd from certain angles
    but you don't really notice it when riding. I bent one one on the one
    crank grab I'vedone on my muni tho. Still takes nothing away from the
    performance. Dunno if you can see this on my 'muni'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw11) or not.

    Oh yeah, I know it's not a Yuni frame, but a Qu-Ax one, but
    it's essentially the same and I had a Nimbus II on before
    with the same wheel.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "In conclusion, unicycle... or perish. Because in the real world, you
    don't have time to think about a second wheel"
    -Zach_Jucha
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  20. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    Didn't need spacers.

    The bearings have a larger outside diam. than the Yuni is
    designed for, but work OK so far. I did need to install
    slightly longer bolts through the bearing holders. I tend to
    use things as-is until they break. If this kills my
    bearings, I'll get new ones.

    This wheel-set is one I bought off of DudleyDoRide last
    week, with the intention of giving it to my poor bro.-in-
    law. But I'm having such fun with it, I might hold it for a
    while first. I still have my Wilder frame and Profile set-
    up, but the Yuni is fun for one-footing, and feels barely
    any heavier than my Wilder/Profile. In fact, if I had ridden
    this one first I might not have gotten the Wilder at all!

    Also, this KH/Alex DX 32/3" Duro Leopard combo. seems to
    grip better when Pecking up hills than my 26" wheel with
    Duro tire for some reason. Don't ask me why. And it is
    significantly lighter than the GAZZ/Sun
    Doublewide/Profile combo.