Best municipal pools

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dennis Selwa, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Dennis Selwa

    Dennis Selwa Guest

    San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week at
    nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find somewhere
    to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes dried up out
    there. Are there any similar pool systems?

    Dennis Selwa

    Tags:

  2. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On 25 Sep 2003 22:20:13 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis Selwa) wrote:

    >San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week
    >at nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find
    >somewhere to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes
    >dried up out there. Are there any similar pool systems?

    Well, I don't suppose you'll be coming here, but in Reykjavik (pop ~ 100,000), we have 7 heated
    outdoor pools, 1 50m and 6 25m, open 6:45 - 22:00 all year around (close 20:00 weekends) with hot
    pots, water slides, marked off swimming lanes and everything. Read 'em and weep.
    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

    Excuse the munged address. My last e-mail address was killed by spammers.

  3. Dennis Selwa

    Dennis Selwa Guest

    Helgi, Thats sounds like the perfect pool arangement. The twelve pools we have serve a couple
    million people. Only about a third of the time I have to share a lane though. But if I leave San
    Diego I probably won't have that luxury. I can understand how expensive pools are to maintain and
    how small citys can't justify the expense (though I wish they would). But having free geothermal
    heat reduces a major expense in pool costs!
    !

    Dennis

  4. Hi Helgi.

    Do you know Lara Bjargardottir? She's a terrific young swimmer from Reykjavik, who is currently a
    sophomore at the University of California Irvine. She was the Big West Conference champion in the
    200 IM and set a number of UCI school records. Are there other competitive swimmers at her elite
    level in Iceland?

    - Larry

  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Selwa) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week
    > at nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find
    > somewhere to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes
    > dried up out there. Are there any similar pool systems?

    Yup, my city has 9 and the three neighbouring cities (all within 15 minutes drive from where I live)
    has 7 total. I can find a pool pretty much any day or hour of the week (from 6am to 10pm), including
    weekends and holidays. In fact, these past two weeks, I've gone to 4 different pools because of my
    changing schedule.