Best municipal pools

D

Dennis Selwa

San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week at
nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find somewhere
to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes dried up out
there. Are there any similar pool systems?

Dennis Selwa

On 25 Sep 2003 22:20:13 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis Selwa) wrote:

>San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week
>at nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find
>somewhere to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes
>dried up out there. Are there any similar pool systems?

Well, I don't suppose you'll be coming here, but in Reykjavik (pop ~ 100,000), we have 7 heated
outdoor pools, 1 50m and 6 25m, open 6:45 - 22:00 all year around (close 20:00 weekends) with hot
pots, water slides, marked off swimming lanes and everything. Read 'em and weep.
--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Excuse the munged address. My last e-mail address was killed by spammers.

Helgi, Thats sounds like the perfect pool arangement. The twelve pools we have serve a couple
million people. Only about a third of the time I have to share a lane though. But if I leave San
Diego I probably won't have that luxury. I can understand how expensive pools are to maintain and
how small citys can't justify the expense (though I wish they would). But having free geothermal
heat reduces a major expense in pool costs!
!

Dennis

Hi Helgi.

Do you know Lara Bjargardottir? She's a terrific young swimmer from Reykjavik, who is currently a
sophomore at the University of California Irvine. She was the Big West Conference champion in the
200 IM and set a number of UCI school records. Are there other competitive swimmers at her elite
level in Iceland?

- Larry

[email protected] (Dennis Selwa) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> San Diego has an excellent city pool system .Theres got to be 12 to 15 pools. Any day of the week
> at nearly any time up from 5:30 AM to 8 PM (weekends and holidays a bit tighter) I can find
> somewhere to swim all year round. I was planning to move inland but the source of swimming holes
> dried up out there. Are there any similar pool systems?

Yup, my city has 9 and the three neighbouring cities (all within 15 minutes drive from where I live)
has 7 total. I can find a pool pretty much any day or hour of the week (from 6am to 10pm), including
weekends and holidays. In fact, these past two weeks, I've gone to 4 different pools because of my
changing schedule.