Best of the best LED bulb so far.

NLee1875

Guest
December 22, 2004

Are we still on this subject? Interesting.. hmmm..

A while back I wrote a short piece on my observations between a flashlight
driven by a single 1W emitter type EverLED bulb and a Cateye EL500.

At that time, I didn't own a Cateye EL500 and I still don't; and probably won't
unless the price drops to $25 range.

Based on my inventory of (nearly $2,000 over the years not counting bulbs
batteries, etc.) flashlights / bicycle lights / special purpose lights, a
flashlight or a bicycle light with PR base bulb driven by a EverLED is the best
of the best so far. If you don't like the beam pattern.. switch to a
flashlight with a different reflector, pure and simple.

I saw my fellow 5 digit bicycle club member (10,000+ miles per year) a few
months ago with his newly acquired Cateye EL500. Very nicely designed /
shaped, etc. I really wanted one UNTIL...

But when it comes to beam intensity, amount of light it throws and reach,
Cateye is a shuteye based on side by side comparison after roughly 40'

Fool me once, fool me twice.. enough of the Cateye marketing hype... ie
starting with hypertechnology, luminux, opticube..

Funny.. I tried to do a patent search on these technology.. but could not find
it. Perhaps someone point me the way.

I did, however, find Cateye's filing for the Opticube trade mark.

Anyhow.. back to the topic.. EverLED.. I bought 4 bulbs when www.brightguy.com
had them on sale for $35 each (regularily $40).

Go ahead and banter between which LED vs Halogen light is comparable, tec..

As I've done many times before.. "When you buy wrong, you buy twice".. In my
case.. I didn't stop at twice..

But once I got the EverLED bulb, I got the perfect balance..

BTW.. I asked the top dog at EverLED to ask when they are going to market the
3W version. He said they are not. They want to start testing a bi pin version
of the EverLED to compliment the PR base bulb.

My 2cents in order to save you $$.

Much obliged.
Nick Lee
carless since January 2000
member of the 5 digit (10,000+ bicycle miles per year) every year since.

Agreed.. that EverLED bulb does look awesome, and everything I've read about
it so far has been awesome. It's a single LED that bounces back to use the
reflector from a standard flashlight assembly, which gives it the same
pattern as a bulb would, instead of an array of LED's like the cateye
thingies. Very cool indeed.

I plan on getting a small waterproof flashlight and throwing this bulb in
and then strappin' it to my bike.

As for those cateye catch phrases.. I dont' think you're gonna find any
patent information on them at all, since they are simply marketing
technojumbo. fancy words that mean "a few regular white LED's".

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"NLee1875" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> December 22, 2004
>
> Are we still on this subject? Interesting.. hmmm..
>
> A while back I wrote a short piece on my observations between a flashlight
> driven by a single 1W emitter type EverLED bulb and a Cateye EL500.
>
> At that time, I didn't own a Cateye EL500 and I still don't; and probably
> won't
> unless the price drops to $25 range.
>
> Based on my inventory of (nearly $2,000 over the years not counting bulbs
> batteries, etc.) flashlights / bicycle lights / special purpose lights, a
> flashlight or a bicycle light with PR base bulb driven by a EverLED is the
> best
> of the best so far. If you don't like the beam pattern.. switch to a
> flashlight with a different reflector, pure and simple.
>
> I saw my fellow 5 digit bicycle club member (10,000+ miles per year) a few
> months ago with his newly acquired Cateye EL500. Very nicely designed /
> shaped, etc. I really wanted one UNTIL...
>
> But when it comes to beam intensity, amount of light it throws and reach,
> Cateye is a shuteye based on side by side comparison after roughly 40'
>
> Fool me once, fool me twice.. enough of the Cateye marketing hype... ie
> starting with hypertechnology, luminux, opticube..
>
> Funny.. I tried to do a patent search on these technology.. but could not
> find
> it. Perhaps someone point me the way.
>
> I did, however, find Cateye's filing for the Opticube trade mark.
>
> Anyhow.. back to the topic.. EverLED.. I bought 4 bulbs when
> www.brightguy.com
> had them on sale for $35 each (regularily $40).
>
> Go ahead and banter between which LED vs Halogen light is comparable,
> tec..
>
> As I've done many times before.. "When you buy wrong, you buy twice".. In
> my
> case.. I didn't stop at twice..
>
> But once I got the EverLED bulb, I got the perfect balance..
>
> BTW.. I asked the top dog at EverLED to ask when they are going to market
> the
> 3W version. He said they are not. They want to start testing a bi pin
> version
> of the EverLED to compliment the PR base bulb.
>
> My 2cents in order to save you $$.
>
> Much obliged.
> Nick Lee
> carless since January 2000
> member of the 5 digit (10,000+ bicycle miles per year) every year since.

"NLee1875" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anyhow.. back to the topic.. EverLED.. I bought 4 bulbs when

www.brightguy.com
> had them on sale for $35 each (regularily $40).
>
> Go ahead and banter between which LED vs Halogen light is comparable,

tec..

From what I gather, the EverLed uses the 1W Luxeon LED, same as the Nite
Hawk Emitter and several other products. They do seem to have an integral
regulator, which is a nice feature. FWIW, I got an Emitter for the same $35
(sans regulator, but with a 10% output dim mode).

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> [...]
>>had them on sale for $35 each (regularily $40).
>>
>>Go ahead and banter between which LED vs Halogen light is comparable,
>>tec..
>>
>>As I've done many times before.. "When you buy wrong, you buy twice".. In
>>my
>>case.. I didn't stop at twice..
>>
>>But once I got the EverLED bulb, I got the perfect balance..
>>
>>BTW.. I asked the top dog at EverLED to ask when they are going to market
>>the
>>3W version. He said they are not. They want to start testing a bi pin
>>version
>>of the EverLED to compliment the PR base bulb.
>>
>>My 2cents in order to save you $$.
>>
>>Much obliged.
>>Nick Lee
>>carless since January 2000
>>member of the 5 digit (10,000+ bicycle miles per year) every year since.

My experience has been in line with yours. An Everled bulb is the
answer in terms of useable illumination with decent battery life. It
gives the flexibility you describe AND the ability to run on 2 to 6
batteries. There are plenty of cheap lights that, with Everled bulbs,
convert into excellent lights (cheaply enough to fit two if one isn't
bright enough for you).

I bought one this winter for use in a Smart twin headlamp unit. I had
intended to buy another for the second headlamp if I liked it. In the
event one Everled was quite enough, so I went for a cheaper 3-LED bulb
replacement in the second unit (definitely not bright enough to see by
on its own). The EverLEDs cost (at least in the UK) is its only
downside, though by comparison the value for money is excellent.

I have certainly spent much more in the past on lights claiming to do
what they didn't. It is a pleaant change to find a product that is not
being "oversold", but matches up to the manufacturers claims (surely a
better recipe for customer satisfaction and repeat business).

Andrew Webster

NLee1875 wrote:

> December 22, 2004
>
> Are we still on this subject? Interesting.. hmmm..
>
> A while back I wrote a short piece on my observations between a

flashlight
> driven by a single 1W emitter type EverLED bulb and a Cateye EL500.
>
> At that time, I didn't own a Cateye EL500 and I still don't; and

probably won't
> unless the price drops to $25 range.
>
> Based on my inventory of (nearly $2,000 over the years not counting bulbs
> batteries, etc.) flashlights / bicycle lights / special purpose lights, a
> flashlight or a bicycle light with PR base bulb driven by a EverLED

is the best
> of the best so far. If you don't like the beam pattern.. switch to a
> flashlight with a different reflector, pure and simple.

Nick:

What is the advantage of the EverLED in an existing flashlight, versus
the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Task-Light with a 1W Luxeon LED, or one of
the other Luxeon 1W LED flashlights?

The Streamlight costs $30 from Amazon.com, $10 less than just the
EverLED bulb. I guess with the bulb you could move it from flashlight to
flashlight.

The biggest drawback I see with the LED flashlights is that you can't
get an adjustable beam, as LEDs don't lend themselves to this. The
little Strion flashlight I bought is amazing, if brightness and beam are
more important than long battery life. The Tri-Star Phazer looks good,
but is a little pricey at $120. Interesting heat sink design on it.
http://elektrolumens.com/Tri_Star_Phazer/Tri-Star-Phazer.html

Since LED and xenon flashlights are now offering better lighting at
better prices than dedicated bicycle lights, I see a good future for
TwoFish with their Cycloblocks.

Steve
http://bicyclelighting.com

December 23, 2004

Hello Steven..

I cannot explain why the EverLED bulb in a regular flashlight is so much
brighter than the 1w Luxeon side emitter in a preassembled units in Surefire,
Streamlite; Pelican; Princeton Tec; etc.

Here is a web site featuring the different varient of the Luxeon emitters.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=77729
8&Main=772719

I don't need to know why or how the EverLed bulb with the ordinary flashlight
reflector can project a tight beam the distance of a comparable halogen bulb
flashlight.. It just does. It is truly amazing.

For bicycling, I had to rewire my Cateye HL-1500 to accomodate the EverLed..
The Cateye HL-1500 is wired to give the tip of the halogen bulb as (-), whereas
the particular model of EverLed needs a (+) feed.

The results were mixed.. The angle of beam was much wider in the HL-1500 than
when the bulb was in a flashlight. For whatever reason, with the wider beam,
the output light has a greenish tint. Why? I don't know..

The HL-1500 has a small concave lens for side visibility.. For what ever
reason, the EverLED bulb puts out a pretty bright white light through the side
lens.. I think it is because of where the bulb sits in the PR base as the
emitter is quite small compared to the halogen bulb.

With two HL-1500 using EverLED bulbs, you can have acceptable wide coverage to
20 -30 yards.

My preference however is a nice white "tight" beam with a reach up to 30-45
yards.

I put the EverLED bulb in a 4D spotlight/lantern.. WOW.. with a 4.5" reflector
and faceted lens..

The best way I can describe the scene is like when Crocodile Dundee was been
mugged by a NY gang using a switch blade knife.. Then Dundee pulls out his..
NOW this is a knife..

YEAH.. it is something like that..

$40 per bulb. Pricey.. but you need to pay to play. No regrets here.

Get one.. and you'll be on top of the "food" (flashlight) chain.

Much obliged.
Nick Lee

NLee1875 wrote:

<snip>

> But once I got the EverLED bulb, I got the perfect balance..
>
> BTW.. I asked the top dog at EverLED to ask when they are going to

market the
> 3W version. He said they are not. They want to start testing a bi

pin version
> of the EverLED to compliment the PR base bulb.

I updated the "Flashlight" section of my web page, including some of the
Luxeon replacement bulbs for flashlights (EverLED is not the only one
available). "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html"

I wish that TwoFish marketed their Cyclop Block a little more
aggressively, as it really is a great device that would encourage a lot
of people to use better lighting.

I also added a third handlebar mount flashlight holder, the venerable
Wald D barrel size holder (kind of retro!), and the fourth option of
self-locking nylon pipe clamps (two of them connected together).

Nick, which flashlight do you recommend with the EverLED? It looks to me
like a 2C or 3C Mag-Lite would be ideal, since you still get the
spot/flood capability. How well does the EverLED work in the different
reflector positions?

Steve
http://bicyclelighting.com (or Google “bicycle light facts”)
http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com (of Google “bicycle coffee”)

NLee1875 wrote:

<snip>

> Fool me once, fool me twice.. enough of the Cateye marketing hype... ie
> starting with hypertechnology, luminux, opticube..

LOL. Didn't they use "Turbo?"

> BTW.. I asked the top dog at EverLED to ask when they are going to

market the
> 3W version. He said they are not. They want to start testing a bi

pin version
> of the EverLED to compliment the PR base bulb.

Very difficult to do a 3W version due to the thermal issues. I saw a
dual 1W LED bulb, and it includes a warning to not use it in plastic
mounts. I’ve spent the last month at work dealing with thermal
solutions, even though it is not my specialty. Even dissipating 2W is
difficult if you have your cooling solution completely wrong.

I added a section on Luxeon 1W replacement bulbs to my site. You can go
directly to the sub-page at "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html"
then scroll to the bottom.

Steve
http://bicyclelighting.com (or Google “bicycle light facts”)
http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com (of Google “bicycle coffee”)

"Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote

> I wish that TwoFish marketed their Cyclop Block a little more
> aggressively, as it really is a great device that would encourage a lot
> of people to use better lighting.

I never understood why anyone would want to lash a flashlight to their
handlebars when so many very nice purpose-built lighting products are
available. On the other hand, I often use my Cateye Micro or VistaLite as
flashlights.

"Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote

> I added a section on Luxeon 1W replacement bulbs to my site. You can go
> directly to the sub-page at "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html"
> then scroll to the bottom.

BTW, where did you get this (below):
"This data shows the huge advantage of using MR16 lamps versus MR11 lamps;
the larger reflector of the MR16 makes a big difference in efficiency."
"HID lamps are very efficient, but a 10% over-voltaged 10W MR16 comes close
in efficiency to an HID, and a 20% over-voltaged MR16 beats an HID in
efficiency. However the over-voltaged MR16 will have a much shorter lamp
life than an HID."

You imply that increasing the reflector diameter from 13/8" to 2" doubles
halogen incandescent efficiency, to the point where it surpassed HID. I'm
afraid that there is no way (with current physics) that this could be
remotely true. Sources?

Peter Cole wrote:

> I never understood why anyone would want to lash a flashlight to their
> handlebars when so many very nice purpose-built lighting products are
> available. On the other hand, I often use my Cateye Micro or VistaLite as
> flashlights.

My view:

Sometimes you want a self-contained, but powerful, light, and are
willing to live with fairly short operating time, especially if you're
using rechargeables. Performance and Specialized used to sell 5-6W such
lights, but discontinued them. I can guess the reasons why such lights
weren't profitable; the manufacturing cost was too high, and the price
at which thay had to be sold made them appear outrageously priced for a
handlebar light. Planet Bike still sells a 3.5W model, which is okay.
These are all essentially flashlights, with a mounting bracket.

For self-contained handlebar lights, the manufacturers have moved mostly
to low power LED lamps. They use an array of them, because the 3W and 5W
Luxeon LEDs are too expensive. These are great for "being seen" but that
don't project a beam very far. The Light and Motion Vega is
self-contained, and uses a 3W Luxeon LED with a built in NiMH battery.
It sells for $175. I'm pretty sure that this is a very good light,
though I don't intend to buy one.

This is an inherent problem with LEDs and optics for "seeing," and it's
one of the reasons that they're used primarily in "being seen"
applications. While I'm not a fan of dynamo lights, at least they still
use a 3W bulb, and produce a beam that is better and brighter than an
LED handlebar light.

The Light and Motion Vega is self-contained, and uses a 3W Luxeon LED
with a built in NiMH battery. It sells for $175. This looks like a
pretty good handlebar mount light, but that's a lot of money.
"http://www.bikelights.com/Products/vega.htm"

A Mag-Lite type flashlight offers another advantage, the adjustable spot
to flood optics which can be extremely useful for different riding
environments. With the Luxeon LED PR3 bulb, you can increase the battery
life, and not deal with burned out bulbs.

The Streamlight Strion which, I recently purchased, combines a very
small size with a highly efficient rechargeable lithium-ion battery,
plus excellent optics. It is probably brighter than the Vega, at less
than 1/2 the cost. However the run time between charges is much less.

"Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For self-contained handlebar lights, the manufacturers have moved mostly
> to low power LED lamps.
>
> This is an inherent problem with LEDs and optics for "seeing," and it's
> one of the reasons that they're used primarily in "being seen"
> applications. While I'm not a fan of dynamo lights, at least they still
> use a 3W bulb, and produce a beam that is better and brighter than an
> LED handlebar light.

I think there are still plenty of 2.5W halogen bike lights around. These
are very similar to the 2.5W generator lights. The 1W LED lights are in the
same class, only slightly dimmer. The halogen lights are $10-25, the LEDs
$25-50. Since a flashlight lashing block by itself is almost $20, I don't
see the point.