Best oil for French Fries?

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I
have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
input is appreciated.

Default wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
> I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
> input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil
would be mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you
could filter and reuse it over and over. HTH :)

Bob

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
<[email protected]> wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
> so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

wrote:

>What's the best oil for French Fries?

Beef fat.

Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
where does all the beef fat go?

-sw

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Default wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
>> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
>> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
>> so any input is appreciated.
>

> "Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil
> would be mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you
> could filter and reuse it over and over. HTH :)
>
> Bob

Surely you're not serious. The OP would probably ****
himself to death!

sf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
>> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
>> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
>> oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

sf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
>> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
>> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
>> oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

sf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
>> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
>> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
>> oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
> > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
> > oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
> > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
> > oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
> > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
> > oil, so any input is appreciated.
>
> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

Default <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
> I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
> input is appreciated.

I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
recycle the oil.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Default <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
>> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
>> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
>> so any input is appreciated.
>
> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
> recycle the oil.
>
> Michael

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made
them more often I used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet
fries lovers (my kids and their friends) liked them better
than McD's. But it's been a while.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

hahabogus wrote:

> I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made
> them more often I used a mix of canola and lard. The
> gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their friends) liked
> them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones? Goomba

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
> I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
> input is appreciated.

Lard is absolutely the best. But I think most of the taste
depends on the variety of potato used.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could
understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:07:37 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

> Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
> where does all the beef fat go?

sausages.
--

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >What's the best oil for French Fries?
>
> Beef fat.
>
> Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
> where does all the beef fat go?
>
> -sw

Soap, sausages, animal feeds etc

In article <[email protected]>,
Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
> recycle the oil.

Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or third use?

please mail OT responses only

Scott wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]>, Dog3
> <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
>
> > I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
> > recycle the oil.
>
> Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or
> third use?

I remember it says that in _The_Professional_Chef_, but I
believe that was in reference to lard or beef fat deep
frying oils. A mono- or polyunsaturated vegetable oil would
be more likely to develop off flavors with use.

Scott <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> In article
> <[email protected]>, Dog3
> <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
>
>> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
>> recycle the oil.
>
> Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or
> third use?

I really don't know. I know restaurants that reuse oil after
straining it but I've never done it.

Michael