Best oil for French Fries?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Default, Mar 14, 2004.

    Default Guest

    What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I
    have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
    input is appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Default wrote:

    > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
    > I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
    > input is appreciated.

    "Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil
    would be mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you
    could filter and reuse it over and over. HTH :)

    Bob

  3. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
    > so any input is appreciated.

    You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    want something with a high smoke point and very little
    flavor to impart.

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    wrote:

    >What's the best oil for French Fries?

    Beef fat.

    Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
    where does all the beef fat go?

    -sw

  5. zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Default wrote:
    >
    >> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    >> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    >> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
    >> so any input is appreciated.
    >

    > "Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil
    > would be mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you
    > could filter and reuse it over and over. HTH :)
    >
    > Bob

    Surely you're not serious. The OP would probably shit
    himself to death!

  6. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    >> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    >> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    >> oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
    had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
    they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
    changed the oil in their fryers daily.

    Wayne

  7. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <default[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    >> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    >> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    >> oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
    had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
    they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
    changed the oil in their fryers daily.

    Wayne

  8. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    >> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    >> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    >> oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that
    had the most remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how
    they made them, we learned that they used peanut oil and
    changed the oil in their fryers daily.

    Wayne

  9. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    > > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    > > oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
    McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
    Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

  10. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    > > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    > > oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
    McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
    Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

  11. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    > > moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting
    > > oil, so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
    > want something with a high smoke point and very little
    > flavor to impart.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what
    McD's used to use, and why the fries tasted so damned good.
    Now you get cardboard tasting fries. Ick!

  12. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Default <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
    > I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
    > input is appreciated.

    I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
    recycle the oil.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  13. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Dog3 <[email protected];not> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Default <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    >> healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the
    >> moment I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil,
    >> so any input is appreciated.
    >
    > I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
    > recycle the oil.
    >
    > Michael

    I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made
    them more often I used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet
    fries lovers (my kids and their friends) liked them better
    than McD's. But it's been a while.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  14. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    hahabogus wrote:

    > I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made
    > them more often I used a mix of canola and lard. The
    > gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their friends) liked
    > them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

    Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones? Goomba

  15. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default wrote:

    > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the
    > healthiest ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment
    > I have no idea what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any
    > input is appreciated.

    Lard is absolutely the best. But I think most of the taste
    depends on the variety of potato used.
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could
    understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

  16. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:07:37 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

    > Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
    > where does all the beef fat go?

    sausages.
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could
    understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

  17. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What's the best oil for French Fries?
    >
    > Beef fat.
    >
    > Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore,
    > where does all the beef fat go?
    >
    > -sw

    Soap, sausages, animal feeds etc

  18. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dog3 <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
    > recycle the oil.

    Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or third use?

    please mail OT responses only

  19. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Dog3
    > <[email protected];not> wrote:
    >
    > > I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
    > > recycle the oil.
    >
    > Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or
    > third use?

    I remember it says that in _The_Professional_Chef_, but I
    believe that was in reference to lard or beef fat deep
    frying oils. A mono- or polyunsaturated vegetable oil would
    be more likely to develop off flavors with use.

  20. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Scott <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Dog3
    > <[email protected];not> wrote:
    >
    >> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or
    >> recycle the oil.
    >
    > Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or
    > third use?

    I really don't know. I know restaurants that reuse oil after
    straining it but I've never done it.

    Michael