Best on-line bike supply shop?

Jay Adair

Guest
I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are a
dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out of
them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't interest
them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned dollars. I
bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.

So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc. The
only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more options
now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers, instead,
I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done this search.

Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....

Jay

Jay:

The Hostel Shoppe has a great reputation for handling great products and have an extensive on-line catalog. They are also quite fast in filling your order. I live in the Midwest and if I place an order in the A.M. I will usually have the order delivered by UPS the next day. Performance and Nashbar are also good outlets for the items you are looking for. For Bent products you can't beat the Shoppe. Good Luck Shopping!!

Dr. Duk

> I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are
> a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out
> of them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
> interest them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned
> dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.

And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not go
their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be willing to
do to earn your business before you shop on line.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Cletus Lee" skrev

> And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
> improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not
> go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
> willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.

Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any. LBS aren't on any
endangered species list are they? Survival of the fittest I say.

M.

Oh for christ sake. The idiots didn't respond. In my book, if you are a company, and you want my
business, then god damnit first impressions will pretty much sum up the whole sale. If they didn't
respond to him wanting to buy the freaking bike, do you really think they will respond to him when
he has problems AFTER the sale?

iLiad one espresso too much this morning!

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price
on a
> > Vision R40. They are a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call
> > couldn't get any numbers out of them. Apparently,
they
> > have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
interest
> > them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of
my
> > hard-earned dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.
>
> And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the
LBS an opportunity
> to improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the
accessory sales that
> will not go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them
and and ask what they
> might be willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Cletus Lee" skrev
>
>> And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
>> improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not
>> go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
>> willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.
>
> Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any. LBS aren't on any
> endangered species list are they? Survival of the fittest I say.
>
> M.

Wonder of wonders, I agree with Mikael.

I had a similar experience with an auto dealership recently. If they are asleep at the wheel, they
aren't going to notice until they've crashed into a tree. I understand and commend Cletus's idea,
but it is based on a once common and now rare character in service industries. It is sadly now that
I say, most somnambulent sales people haven't a clue. Leave life for the Living, and the Awake.

rorschandt "A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel down his pants, the bartender says,
'hey buddy, you've got a steering wheel down your pants.' the pirate replies, 'yarr, tis drivin'
me nuts!'"

--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or

> "Cletus Lee" skrev
>
> > And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
> > improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will
> > not go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
> > willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.
>
> Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any.

> LBS aren't on any endangered species list are they?

Yes, I think they are. Perhaps this is not the case in a country where lots of people cycle. Here in
the US, 'Department store' bikes have the majority of the market. Most riders are casual, occasional
riders and could not justify spending the $$ on a quality bike which is only found in an LBS.
Consequently, LBS lose sales to Walmart because Walmart sells cheap Asian imports that 'look' like
quality Asian imports sold at your LBS.

"Department Store" bikes quickly fall into disrepair or are sold with poorly adjusted brakes,
gears. etc.

Many LBS will not do maintainence on a "Department Store" bike. Department Stores do not do
maintenance. The consumer is the one that suffers and you wonder why Americans don't ride bikes.
Smarter LBS will do maintainence on these "Department Store" bikes. They are surviving but perhaps
only barely.

It is a process of education. If you point out to the LBS what generates revenue, some will take
that to heart. Of course, some won't.

Many people (Especially here in this country) lack the ability to do even routine maintenance on
bikes. Every Saturday that I visit my LBS, I see a steady stream of customers heading to the shop
area with their shiny barely used bicycle. The next week end, they'll return to pick up their bike
having missed two glorious weekends of Houston riding weather. Where are these people going to go
when the LBS is no more?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

I've bought a lot of stuff to build bikes and trikes. In no specific order~ Recumbent specific
stuff: Hostel Shoppe , Organic Engines, PowerOn Cycling(Mark Powers), Fool's Crow, Gaerlan Cycle.

Depending on where you live, you may get better(or worse) shipping times.

General Bike: SpeedGoat,Chuck's Bicycle Closeouts(haven't actually bought from him yet, but prices
are CHEAP), Performance and Nashbar ,Supergo (was once called Bikecology I think,)Pricepoint,
Cambria Bike, Jenson USA, Bikeparts USA(part of Atlantic Bicycles in Florida. They actually give a
damn about customer service although their communications aren't faultless. Humans!)

All that I have dealt with have acceptable or better service and prices. Haven't dealt with Chuck's
yet(http://www.chucksbikes.com/), so can't really say. If you have trouble finding a specific
website, just ask. Apparently I don't know of an easy way to copy a bunch of bookmarks from explorer
to paste into a news message.

You can start at www.bestbikebuys.com and do a price comparison on a specific item. Keep in mind the
search engine includes specific shops, and OMITS those that have not paid to be listed. happy
trails, rorschandt
--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Snip >>>> "Department Store" bikes quickly fall into disrepair or are sold with poorly adjusted
brakes, gears. etc. " <<<

You know, this is something that has always amazed me.

I do volunteer work at ' Bikes4Tykes ', so we see a lot of Dept. store bikes that have been donated.
Many of these machines would appear to have been ridden VERY few miles, judging by the condition of
the tires but when we check the brakes, the pads are worn to the point where they need replacing.

In all the time I have been riding I have NEVER replaced any of my brake pads, even on bikes with
more than 10,000 miles on them.

How is it possible to wear out a set of brake pads without wearing the 'pimples' of a tire?

--
Lewis.

......................... "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

Jay Adair wrote:
> I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are
> a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out
> of them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
> interest them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned
> dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.
>
> So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
> The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
> options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
> instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
> this search.
>
> Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
>
> Jay

If you know what you need, http://www.bikepartsusa.com has common (non-recumbent specific) bike
stuff at real cheap prices. Their product descriptions suck so you got know what you want. If you
don't know what you want, try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html for more customer
service and assistance. You already know about http://www.hostelshoppe.com/ which is excellent for
recumbent specific stuff. Other good places are http://www.lickbike.com/ and
http://www.thethirdhand.com

A prayer for our times: "…In this time of war against Osama bin Laden and the oppressive Taliban
regime - We are thankful that OUR leader isn't the spoiled son of a powerful politician from a
wealthy oil family who is supported by religious fundamentalists, operates through clandestine
organizations, has no resect for the democratic electoral process, bombs innocents, and uses war to
deny people their civil liberties. Amen." Aaron McGruder, Boondocks comic strip

<[email protected]> skrev

> Many people (Especially here in this country) lack the ability to do even routine maintenance on
> bikes. Every Saturday that I visit my LBS, I see a steady stream of customers heading to the shop
> area with their shiny barely used bicycle. The next week end, they'll return to pick up their bike
> having missed two glorious weekends of Houston riding weather. Where are these people going to go
> when the LBS is no more?

Perhaps someone will open a LBS that understands what "customer" means?

Mikael

> Perhaps someone will open a LBS that understands what "customer" means?

I have two LBS within 5 miles of my house and both located within sight of the H&B trail. One
(Southwest Schwinn) has been in business over 30 years. The other maybe 10. I got my Lightning
ordered and delivered through SW Schwinn. About 4 years ago, SW Schwinn decided to carry Lightning
as there first and only recumbent. They sell at a fair price and will order anything not in stock
and have it in a day or two. This same LBS has over the years learned that a good portion of their
business is working on Department store bikes.

The other LBS lost most of my business about 5 years ago when I went in looking for a seatpost QR
for my MTB and they tried to _sell_ me a used one from their junk parts drawer. They still don't
know that that kind of sales practice so far has cost them 1 $1800 RANS Stratus (which they carry),
1 $6000 Lightning F-40 Voyager (which they used to carry) and one Bacchetta Giro (Also in their
inventory). Until about a year ago I could say that I had not bought anything in the store. All
because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they took off someones bike brought in for repair.

Well I do buy some parts and supplies for this LBS now because over the years, I have gotten to know
the owners and their store is most convienient to my traffic pattern.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

"iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?
>

> "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
Until about a year ago I could say that I
>> had
> not bought anything
>> in the store. All because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they
> took off someones bike
>> brought in for repair.

Err..I've worked in many a bike shop, and it is quite common that if a new part is not available and
a used part is, to offer it at a reduced price. It may not have come off "somebody else's bike". It
may have been removed from a bike that was purchased and the buyer did not want the QR, and the shop
obligingly removed it and replaced it with a bolt or whatever. This too, is common. Trading out some
parts and crediting or charging more for the difference. For instance if I were to want to buy the
latest lance/lemond mega wedgie special which came with Look pedals, and I wanted BeBops. The shop
would charge or refund any difference in price. The "old" part would be left in the shop to be sold.
It is new, it just has been installed before. Shop worn. As I was not present, this my not have been
the case, and they were trying to burn you. I'd go with the gut, which you seem to be. My LBS is
basically honest and good hearted, not intentionally out to screw me, but do sell me the wrong stuff
sometimes or are way over priced. The other LBS is now selling treadmills and exercise equipment,
and no bikes. They had been in the bike biz since the '50s.

rorschandt

--

"Jay Adair" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
> The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
> options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
> instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
> this search.
>
> Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
>
> Jay

Its hard to beat Nash Bar but you might want to tre performancebike.com or Colarado cyclist. Poweron
cycling .com is recumbent only and they do carry some odds and ends

In article <[email protected]>, dreamland51
@SPAMNOTcomcast.net says...
> "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?
> >

> > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> Until about a year ago I could say that I
> >> had
> > not bought anything
> >> in the store. All because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they
> > took off someones bike
> >> brought in for repair.
> >>

> Err..I've worked in many a bike shop, and it is quite common that if a new part is not available
> and a used part is, to offer it at a reduced price.

It was not a reduced price. It was grimey and covered with black grease and well worn. I have no
problem with a like new part at a fair price. This was neither.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

FINALLY, a response to the original question, good job Dr. Duk. Throw in the ring Calhouncycle.
Foolscrow, Bicycleman and Rapid transitcycle all have web sites, are bent specific shops, just ad
the .com after each name. BTW I do purchase from nashbar and performance, but maybe we should
concentrate harder on supporting these "bent" net shops, as nashbar and performance ain't never
going to sell us a recumbent. AND if you do have a really good local shop. go out of your way to
support them.

Dr. Duk wrote:
> Jay:
>
> The Hostel Shoppe has a great reputation for handling great products and have an extensive
> on-line catalog. They are also quite fast in filling your order. I live in the Midwest and if I
> place an order in the A.M. I will usually have the order delivered by UPS the next day.
> Performance and Nashbar are also good outlets for the items you are looking for. For Bent
> products you can't beat the Shoppe. Good Luck Shopping!!
>
> Dr. Duk

great tip Ror, i forgot poweroncycling and organicengines!

"Jay Adair" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
> The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
> options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
> instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
> this search.
>
> Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
>
> Jay

Go to www.qbike.com/ and do a search. You will get a list of many stores and and prices
for the item.