Best on-line bike supply shop?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jay Adair, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Jay Adair

    Jay Adair Guest

    I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are a
    dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out of
    them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't interest
    them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned dollars. I
    bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.

    So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc. The
    only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more options
    now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers, instead,
    I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done this search.

    Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....

    Jay

    Tags:

  2. Dr. Duk

    Dr. Duk New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2003
    Jay:

    The Hostel Shoppe has a great reputation for handling great products and have an extensive on-line catalog. They are also quite fast in filling your order. I live in the Midwest and if I place an order in the A.M. I will usually have the order delivered by UPS the next day. Performance and Nashbar are also good outlets for the items you are looking for. For Bent products you can't beat the Shoppe. Good Luck Shopping!!

    Dr. Duk

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are
    > a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out
    > of them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
    > interest them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned
    > dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.

    And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
    improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not go
    their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be willing to
    do to earn your business before you shop on line.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. "Cletus Lee" skrev

    > And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
    > improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not
    > go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
    > willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.

    Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any. LBS aren't on any
    endangered species list are they? Survival of the fittest I say.

    M.

  5. Iliad

    Iliad Guest

    Oh for christ sake. The idiots didn't respond. In my book, if you are a company, and you want my
    business, then god damnit first impressions will pretty much sum up the whole sale. If they didn't
    respond to him wanting to buy the freaking bike, do you really think they will respond to him when
    he has problems AFTER the sale?

    iLiad one espresso too much this morning!

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price
    on a
    > > Vision R40. They are a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call
    > > couldn't get any numbers out of them. Apparently,
    they
    > > have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
    interest
    > > them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of
    my
    > > hard-earned dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.
    >
    > And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the
    LBS an opportunity
    > to improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the
    accessory sales that
    > will not go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them
    and and ask what they
    > might be willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Cletus Lee" skrev
    >
    >> And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
    >> improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will not
    >> go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
    >> willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.
    >
    > Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any. LBS aren't on any
    > endangered species list are they? Survival of the fittest I say.
    >
    > M.

    Wonder of wonders, I agree with Mikael.

    I had a similar experience with an auto dealership recently. If they are asleep at the wheel, they
    aren't going to notice until they've crashed into a tree. I understand and commend Cletus's idea,
    but it is based on a once common and now rare character in service industries. It is sadly now that
    I say, most somnambulent sales people haven't a clue. Leave life for the Living, and the Awake.

    rorschandt "A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel down his pants, the bartender says,
    'hey buddy, you've got a steering wheel down your pants.' the pirate replies, 'yarr, tis drivin'
    me nuts!'"

    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or

  7. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <blc4a9$9jafb$[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Cletus Lee" skrev
    >
    > > And the LBS wonders why business is so bad. I think you ought to give the LBS an opportunity to
    > > improve. Not only have they missed a bike sale, now look at all the accessory sales that will
    > > not go their way. I would suggest that you point this out to them and and ask what they might be
    > > willing to do to earn your business before you shop on line.
    >
    > Why? If they have no clue of how to treat customers they dont deserve any.

    > LBS aren't on any endangered species list are they?

    Yes, I think they are. Perhaps this is not the case in a country where lots of people cycle. Here in
    the US, 'Department store' bikes have the majority of the market. Most riders are casual, occasional
    riders and could not justify spending the $$ on a quality bike which is only found in an LBS.
    Consequently, LBS lose sales to Walmart because Walmart sells cheap Asian imports that 'look' like
    quality Asian imports sold at your LBS.

    "Department Store" bikes quickly fall into disrepair or are sold with poorly adjusted brakes,
    gears. etc.

    Many LBS will not do maintainence on a "Department Store" bike. Department Stores do not do
    maintenance. The consumer is the one that suffers and you wonder why Americans don't ride bikes.
    Smarter LBS will do maintainence on these "Department Store" bikes. They are surviving but perhaps
    only barely.

    It is a process of education. If you point out to the LBS what generates revenue, some will take
    that to heart. Of course, some won't.

    Many people (Especially here in this country) lack the ability to do even routine maintenance on
    bikes. Every Saturday that I visit my LBS, I see a steady stream of customers heading to the shop
    area with their shiny barely used bicycle. The next week end, they'll return to pick up their bike
    having missed two glorious weekends of Houston riding weather. Where are these people going to go
    when the LBS is no more?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    I've bought a lot of stuff to build bikes and trikes. In no specific order~ Recumbent specific
    stuff: Hostel Shoppe , Organic Engines, PowerOn Cycling(Mark Powers), Fool's Crow, Gaerlan Cycle.

    Depending on where you live, you may get better(or worse) shipping times.

    General Bike: SpeedGoat,Chuck's Bicycle Closeouts(haven't actually bought from him yet, but prices
    are CHEAP), Performance and Nashbar ,Supergo (was once called Bikecology I think,)Pricepoint,
    Cambria Bike, Jenson USA, Bikeparts USA(part of Atlantic Bicycles in Florida. They actually give a
    damn about customer service although their communications aren't faultless. Humans!)

    All that I have dealt with have acceptable or better service and prices. Haven't dealt with Chuck's
    yet(http://www.chucksbikes.com/), so can't really say. If you have trouble finding a specific
    website, just ask. Apparently I don't know of an easy way to copy a bunch of bookmarks from explorer
    to paste into a news message.

    You can start at www.bestbikebuys.com and do a price comparison on a specific item. Keep in mind the
    search engine includes specific shops, and OMITS those that have not paid to be listed. happy
    trails, rorschandt
    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
    far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
    anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
    protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  9. Snip >>>> "Department Store" bikes quickly fall into disrepair or are sold with poorly adjusted
    brakes, gears. etc. " <<<

    You know, this is something that has always amazed me.

    I do volunteer work at ' Bikes4Tykes ', so we see a lot of Dept. store bikes that have been donated.
    Many of these machines would appear to have been ridden VERY few miles, judging by the condition of
    the tires but when we check the brakes, the pads are worn to the point where they need replacing.

    In all the time I have been riding I have NEVER replaced any of my brake pads, even on bikes with
    more than 10,000 miles on them.

    How is it possible to wear out a set of brake pads without wearing the 'pimples' of a tire?

    --
    Lewis.

    ......................... "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  10. Jay Adair wrote:
    > I tried twice, in person, to get my local bike shop to quote me a price on a Vision R40. They are
    > a dealer but did not have any in stock. Even a follow-up phone call couldn't get any numbers out
    > of them. Apparently, they have all the business they need, and a quick and easy sale didn't
    > interest them. So I have decided they will not be the recipients of any more of my hard-earned
    > dollars. I bought a used Vision from the Hostel Shoppe.
    >
    > So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
    > The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
    > options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
    > instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
    > this search.
    >
    > Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
    >
    > Jay

    If you know what you need, http://www.bikepartsusa.com has common (non-recumbent specific) bike
    stuff at real cheap prices. Their product descriptions suck so you got know what you want. If you
    don't know what you want, try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html for more customer
    service and assistance. You already know about http://www.hostelshoppe.com/ which is excellent for
    recumbent specific stuff. Other good places are http://www.lickbike.com/ and
    http://www.thethirdhand.com

    A prayer for our times: "…In this time of war against Osama bin Laden and the oppressive Taliban
    regime - We are thankful that OUR leader isn't the spoiled son of a powerful politician from a
    wealthy oil family who is supported by religious fundamentalists, operates through clandestine
    organizations, has no resect for the democratic electoral process, bombs innocents, and uses war to
    deny people their civil liberties. Amen." Aaron McGruder, Boondocks comic strip

  11. <[email protected]> skrev

    > Many people (Especially here in this country) lack the ability to do even routine maintenance on
    > bikes. Every Saturday that I visit my LBS, I see a steady stream of customers heading to the shop
    > area with their shiny barely used bicycle. The next week end, they'll return to pick up their bike
    > having missed two glorious weekends of Houston riding weather. Where are these people going to go
    > when the LBS is no more?

    Perhaps someone will open a LBS that understands what "customer" means?

    Mikael

  12. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Perhaps someone will open a LBS that understands what "customer" means?

    I have two LBS within 5 miles of my house and both located within sight of the H&B trail. One
    (Southwest Schwinn) has been in business over 30 years. The other maybe 10. I got my Lightning
    ordered and delivered through SW Schwinn. About 4 years ago, SW Schwinn decided to carry Lightning
    as there first and only recumbent. They sell at a fair price and will order anything not in stock
    and have it in a day or two. This same LBS has over the years learned that a good portion of their
    business is working on Department store bikes.

    The other LBS lost most of my business about 5 years ago when I went in looking for a seatpost QR
    for my MTB and they tried to _sell_ me a used one from their junk parts drawer. They still don't
    know that that kind of sales practice so far has cost them 1 $1800 RANS Stratus (which they carry),
    1 $6000 Lightning F-40 Voyager (which they used to carry) and one Bacchetta Giro (Also in their
    inventory). Until about a year ago I could say that I had not bought anything in the store. All
    because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they took off someones bike brought in for repair.

    Well I do buy some parts and supplies for this LBS now because over the years, I have gotten to know
    the owners and their store is most convienient to my traffic pattern.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. Iliad

    Iliad Guest

    So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Perhaps someone will open a LBS that understands what "customer" means?
    > >
    > I have two LBS within 5 miles of my house and both located within sight of
    the H&B trail. One
    > (Southwest Schwinn) has been in business over 30 years. The other maybe
    10. I got my Lightning
    > ordered and delivered through SW Schwinn. About 4 years ago, SW Schwinn
    decided to carry
    > Lightning as there first and only recumbent. They sell at a fair price
    and will order anything
    > not in stock and have it in a day or two. This same LBS has over the
    years learned that a good
    > portion of their business is working on Department store bikes.
    >
    > The other LBS lost most of my business about 5 years ago when I went in
    looking for a seatpost
    > QR for my MTB and they tried to _sell_ me a used one from their junk parts
    drawer. They still
    > don't know that that kind of sales practice so far has cost them 1 $1800
    RANS Stratus (which
    > they carry), 1 $6000 Lightning F-40 Voyager (which they used to carry) and
    one Bacchetta Giro
    > (Also in their inventory). Until about a year ago I could say that I had
    not bought anything
    > in the store. All because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they
    took off someones bike
    > brought in for repair.
    >
    > Well I do buy some parts and supplies for this LBS now because over the
    years, I have gotten to
    > know the owners and their store is most convienient to my traffic pattern.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  14. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?
    >

    > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    Until about a year ago I could say that I
    >> had
    > not bought anything
    >> in the store. All because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they
    > took off someones bike
    >> brought in for repair.

    Err..I've worked in many a bike shop, and it is quite common that if a new part is not available and
    a used part is, to offer it at a reduced price. It may not have come off "somebody else's bike". It
    may have been removed from a bike that was purchased and the buyer did not want the QR, and the shop
    obligingly removed it and replaced it with a bolt or whatever. This too, is common. Trading out some
    parts and crediting or charging more for the difference. For instance if I were to want to buy the
    latest lance/lemond mega wedgie special which came with Look pedals, and I wanted BeBops. The shop
    would charge or refund any difference in price. The "old" part would be left in the shop to be sold.
    It is new, it just has been installed before. Shop worn. As I was not present, this my not have been
    the case, and they were trying to burn you. I'd go with the gut, which you seem to be. My LBS is
    basically honest and good hearted, not intentionally out to screw me, but do sell me the wrong stuff
    sometimes or are way over priced. The other LBS is now selling treadmills and exercise equipment,
    and no bikes. They had been in the bike biz since the '50s.

    rorschandt

    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
    far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
    anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
    protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  15. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    "Jay Adair" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
    > The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
    > options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
    > instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
    > this search.
    >
    > Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
    >
    > Jay

    Its hard to beat Nash Bar but you might want to tre performancebike.com or Colarado cyclist. Poweron
    cycling .com is recumbent only and they do carry some odds and ends

  16. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?

    I believe that is what I said... both times. And I take my own advice.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  17. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, dreamland51
    @SPAMNOTcomcast.net says...
    > "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > So your advice then, for others, is to give there LBS a second chance?
    > >

    > > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > Until about a year ago I could say that I
    > >> had
    > > not bought anything
    > >> in the store. All because they wanted to _Sell_ me a used part that they
    > > took off someones bike
    > >> brought in for repair.
    > >>

    > Err..I've worked in many a bike shop, and it is quite common that if a new part is not available
    > and a used part is, to offer it at a reduced price.

    It was not a reduced price. It was grimey and covered with black grease and well worn. I have no
    problem with a like new part at a fair price. This was neither.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  18. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    FINALLY, a response to the original question, good job Dr. Duk. Throw in the ring Calhouncycle.
    Foolscrow, Bicycleman and Rapid transitcycle all have web sites, are bent specific shops, just ad
    the .com after each name. BTW I do purchase from nashbar and performance, but maybe we should
    concentrate harder on supporting these "bent" net shops, as nashbar and performance ain't never
    going to sell us a recumbent. AND if you do have a really good local shop. go out of your way to
    support them.

    Dr. Duk wrote:
    > Jay:
    >
    > The Hostel Shoppe has a great reputation for handling great products and have an extensive
    > on-line catalog. They are also quite fast in filling your order. I live in the Midwest and if I
    > place an order in the A.M. I will usually have the order delivered by UPS the next day.
    > Performance and Nashbar are also good outlets for the items you are looking for. For Bent
    > products you can't beat the Shoppe. Good Luck Shopping!!
    >
    > Dr. Duk

  19. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    great tip Ror, i forgot poweroncycling and organicengines!

    rorschandt wrote:

    > I've bought a lot of stuff to build bikes and trikes. In no specific order~ Recumbent specific
    > stuff: Hostel Shoppe , Organic Engines, PowerOn Cycling(Mark Powers), Fool's Crow, Gaerlan Cycle.
    >
    > Depending on where you live, you may get better(or worse) shipping times.
    >
    > General Bike: SpeedGoat,Chuck's Bicycle Closeouts(haven't actually bought from him yet, but prices
    > are CHEAP), Performance and Nashbar ,Supergo (was once called Bikecology I think,)Pricepoint,
    > Cambria Bike, Jenson USA, Bikeparts USA(part of Atlantic Bicycles in Florida. They actually give a
    > damn about customer service although their communications aren't faultless. Humans!)
    >
    > All that I have dealt with have acceptable or better service and prices. Haven't dealt with
    > Chuck's yet(http://www.chucksbikes.com/), so can't really say. If you have trouble finding a
    > specific website, just ask. Apparently I don't know of an easy way to copy a bunch of bookmarks
    > from explorer to paste into a news message.
    >
    > You can start at www.bestbikebuys.com and do a price comparison on a specific item. Keep in mind
    > the search engine includes specific shops, and OMITS those that have not paid to be listed. happy
    > trails, rorschandt

  20. Dave Myers

    Dave Myers Guest

    "Jay Adair" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > So....I'm looking for an on-line shop for assorted odds & ends, new helmet, some wrenches, etc.
    > The only place I've bought bike parts in the past has been Nashbar, but there are so many more
    > options now on the internet. I hate to start google / froogle searching thru the mass of sellers,
    > instead, I'd rather hear some testimony from those "who have gone before me" and already done
    > this search.
    >
    > Any advice on either places to see or places to flee will be greatly appreciated.....
    >
    > Jay

    Go to www.qbike.com/ and do a search. You will get a list of many stores and and prices
    for the item.