Best part of the US for cycling??

memphiscyclist

Dec 19, 2003
I am in the midst of a relocation. Anyone have any opinions on the best locations in the US for cycling as far as the cycling community is concerned....most clubs, most events, etc??

Best riding ......... Colorado.

Best weather, great riding - So. Cal. Also probably has some of the better bike groups and organized rides.

Hardest competitive racing fields - MD/DE/VA/PA area - so I've been told.

NOT Houston!!

I've heard Austin is very nice, but never ridden there myself.

Oh, that's in Texas, btw.

Originally posted by Daremo
Best riding ......... Colorado.

Best weather, great riding - So. Cal. Also probably has some of the better bike groups and organized rides.

Hardest competitive racing fields - MD/DE/VA/PA area - so I've been told.
I've heard the same about the east coast as far as competition. I've been looking at Denver (seems to be one of the best places for my career), but wonder about the winters. Wondering if snow is on the ground 5 months of the year. Also, anybody know anything about competitions there?

boulder/denver area is the best!
snow isn't really a problem when it snows it melts away within one day. as for races all the local stuff is way up there, so many real d-1 pros and tons of d-3 guys around here...

No doubt in my mind...Any where in New England. Best secondary road system in the country and best racing calander. March-October two road races every weekend (up to 2 hour drive) and then cross takes over until the end of december. One down side is the winter...long and f'n cold...but it makes a good excuse to go to Arizona in February.

Denver/Colorado Springs/Boulder is good for cycling. As previously mentioned the snow melts very quickly with relatively good temperatures all year round.

Oregon- Willamette Valley. Long valley (100+ miles) with the biggest cities being Salem and Eugene at around 100K population. Great roads, light traffic, reasonable drivers. Great weather for 6+ months a year (May to November). Other months are damp, but not cold. Racing scene is OK; lots of racing March to June, then it slows down a bit. Not super-competitive, but good size fields. Strong state racing association, not affiliated with USAC. Great off-road riding within half an hour and growing freeride scene.

Steve Scarich

Colorado - most of the year! I only started last year. I do not do the competitive (yet- in my dreams) - heard there is some good things going on. The Rockies protect us down in the Springs 70mls S Denver and those foothills are closer for some good rides, 300 sunny days a year in our state. Some cold, snowy days; but, it never hangs around for long. You have flat, rolling hills, bloody great hills and some even bigger than that! Mount Evans is a beast (not tried that yet) and you can crank up on ya bike! When there's snow you just swap out the bike day for a snow sport or feet up with coffee.

Susan Repp said:
Colorado - most of the year! I only started last year. I do not do the competitive (yet- in my dreams) - heard there is some good things going on. The Rockies protect us down in the Springs 70mls S Denver and those foothills are closer for some good rides, 300 sunny days a year in our state. Some cold, snowy days; but, it never hangs around for long. You have flat, rolling hills, bloody great hills and some even bigger than that! Mount Evans is a beast (not tried that yet) and you can crank up on ya bike! When there's snow you just swap out the bike day for a snow sport or feet up with coffee.

How about the high altitude/oxygen debt? How badly does it affect training? I would imagine you could not push yourself nearly as hard. Just wondering how this affects racing. Anyone know?

southwestern wisconsin around madison is great for cycling. its flat to the north, hilly to the west, and rolling to the south for any terrain you want. great roads built for the dairy farms and very little traffic. have some good clubs and great riders in the area. not to mention superweek.